Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow Vizsla owners! I need some of you to ease my mind that we made the right decision. We have a 10 week old very happy vizsla who gets plenty of exercise and love. We live in a 2nd floor apartment in the city but have a great walking neighborhood and we are a 5 minute drive from a large dog park. I only work per diem while in grad school and my fiance is a high school teacher who has the summer off. Im worried that as he gets older we wont be able to keep up with his exercise demands. He easily tires now after a walk or going to the park for a bit, but I know his exercise needs will only increase in the coming months. I am home most days and can take him for multiple walks/to the park, but we don't have a yard. Do you think he will be okay?? I'm so worried we made a mistake. :-\ Thanks guys!

·
Registered
794 Posts
As long as you can take him to the dog park or some other safe place to run & play, you will be fine. Generally speaking, walks on a leash dont really cut it. At least that is true for us. Vs need to run, and dog parks are great for that. Maybe with your husband being a teacher, he can give y'all access to a fenced ball field at his school ;) ? You can do it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finding places for him to run is not a problem. Im mostly worried because we don't have a yard we can just let him out in. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I realize a walk on the leash is more of a social thing for them and they really need to run off leash to stretch their legs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was in the exact same worry boat as you, and my puppy is almost a year old now so I'm hoping (!) we made it through the hardest times. There were moments where I thought "I can't do this!!" but my husband always talked me down from the ledge and now I wouldn't give up my Banjo for anything! It sounds like you will be even better suited to deal with a vizsla's needs than we are (we live in the city and both work full time, but staggered schedules, meaning he has company most of the day, and we have a yard).

Most of Banjo's exercise comes from playing fetch in the yard (we take him for daily walks because we know we "should," but frankly he doesn't seem any more tired from a 1 hour walk than a 10 minute one - he needs to RUN). It gets him nice and tired out. Our dog park is sadly too far away to go to other than on weekends but that's even better than yard time. He is SO EXHAUSTED after playing at the dog park! Yesterday we went there for about an hour and he slept pretty much the rest of the day. The dog park will be your best friend, so you are lucky to be so close to one!

Good luck! Enjoy it! I spent far too much of Banjo's puppyhood just worrying I'd have to give him up because he was driving me insane. :p

·
Registered
136 Posts
You'll be fine...they don't like to just go outside anyways....unless your accompanying them. They want to be where you are.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Don't worry. Even though books etc and everywhere state Vizsla's need a lot of exercise, I dont think they need a HUGE amount to get by. My 19month old is fine with an hour off lead a day. Or sometimes 30 mins off lead and 20mins training session. He sleeps most of the day other than that, or will follow me about for abit but he doesn't need crazy amounts of exercise. If I take him out for 2 hours at the weekend he is happy with that, but is just as fine with 1 hour.

If you bring yours up giving him 3 hours of exercise a day, then he will need 3 hours a day. But if you always take it steady he will be able to cope with what you give him. As long as he gets some free running time to blow off steam.
To begin with he will need 5mins exercise per month age to protect his growing joints so you wont need to take him out that long anyway. Just do lots of mental training, invest in things like kongs etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow guys I feel so much better after reading your replies. I am so glad some vizsla owners are in the same boat 8) Thank you for easing my mind!!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I agree with the comments above. I got my pup at 10 weeks and every day I'd be exhausted and tell my boyfriend that maybe we made a mistake. For some background- I live in an apartment on the 3rd floor with no yard, just like you. I was having to carry the pup in the middle of the night in my pjs and with wild hair... I kept worrying that I wouldn't be able to keep the same pace over time. Now at 5 and 1/2 months I wish I would've just relaxed. You find a routine soon enough-- you figure out what your pup needs to wind down and for me, it seemed like I had to do sooo much more work in the beginning just to get him calm. Now that he's older, he's so much more well behaved and a lot (besides his maturing) probably has to do with me relaxing and becoming a more effective trainer/owner. You'll be fine... don't sweat the small stuff & try it see it as a challenge in patience and a way to rediscover small things and the outdoors with your puppy. As they get older, it's absolutely wonderful spending time outdoors with them. When you feel like tearing your hair out, put your pup in the crate so you both can calm down, and if you can't seem to deliver the exercise you need to that day, do your best the next day. Check into doggy daycare in your area, too, for when the pup is vaccinated. Having a day off really helps your sanity when they're young!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Macaroni said:
You'll be fine...they don't like to just go outside anyways....unless your accompanying them. They want to be where you are.
Exactly.
We took Kian to a friends place this past Saturday. We left him in there back yard while we ate....he whined the whole time we were inside. He just pced back and forth from the screen door to an open window. It was funny and yet annoying at the same time.
Oh and he's 27 months old.
As soon as we were done, my gf went outside to see him and she was greeted with the usual vizsla dance. ;D

BTW, we live in an apt. on the second floor with no yard either.... I think he's turned out okay :eek:

Good luck, just keep on doing what you are doing and you will be fine. Especially with your other half being home during the summer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,
The key is to get your puppy used to your schedule and routine.
Our boy Hunter is 18 months old and we have extremely busy life with 3 kids in hockey, track, gymnastics....you name it.
While he gets regular walks daily (20 -30 mins in AM and 50 mins between 2 and 3 pm) he gets more tired and stimulated by going everywhere we go. He is left alone everyday from 9 - 2 pm in his crate. At 2pm he get his off leash run. For the rest of the day he goes everywhere we go tending to kids' schedules and activities. By now he is used to waiting a bit in the car, meeting and greeting at hockey rinks, track fields....
When he was little, we were focusing more on tiring him by mental stimulation and training. The result is that he is very well behaved and not in need of tone of excersize. You can do a lot with him inside (at this age) and just stimulate him with short training sessions several times a day.
Re: yard, don't worry about that. That is not a prerequisite for a balanced V. We have a big property, but Hunter is never left in the yard. He does not want to be there alone. If you can give your dog regular walks, V can happily live in the apartment or house without a yard.
Vizslas do need regular excersise but I don't think that the amount required is overwhelming. I think it is actually what everyone of us should have it on daily basis anyways.
Hang in there and enjoy the puppyhood. It goes really fast.
Start teaching him basic commands and you can use a simple routine of: sit, stay, come and heel as a little ritual 3 times a day. 20 mins training session will tire him more than a run.

Cheers,
Tanja

·
Registered
809 Posts
hzurkovic said:
Start teaching him basic commands and you can use a simple routine of: sit, stay, come and heel as a little ritual 3 times a day. 20 mins training session will tire him more than a run.
This is very true.
Brain stimulation is key. Don't over do it as the dog might get frustrated.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
My boy Willie gets to go for lots of car rides, and I find that he is very stimulated, mentally, by these rides. So many things to look at... and in good weather, at stop lights, I let him stick his head out the partially opened window (but not while rolling along). Inevitably, people talk to Willie as if he is a human, and he loves that. Well, long story short, he comes home and naps the afternoon away! See, I think they really do adjust to whatever routine you establish for them.

Willie gets most of his physical exercise by hunting in his fenced back yard, and by playing games of fetch with me! He will be going for more on-leash walks around the neighborhood, etc., once we get a little more leash training into him! These walks, I am sure, will be more for me than for him. Vizlas do need to run, and he does a lot of that in his yard!

p.s. I agree with the others about the dog park. That will be a great resource for you! Don't worry, you'll do just fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Some great points above about mental stimulation and also the idea that they'll become accustomed to the exercise you give them. I think that's true. Certainly they can't just sit inside all day but frankly I haven't experienced the level of energy a lot of the Internet resources warned me about (which was the primary source of my early concerns). Of course, this is my first vizsla AND my first puppy so what do I know. :p Overall, my boy drove me a little crazy as a young untrained puppy and when he was first entering the adolescent stage, but a couple obedience classes, plus figuring out what works for us all exercise-wise, and incorporating some playtime with other dogs have made a world of difference. I'm sure some of it is just growing up, too!

When we got Banjo from his breeder she assured me they do fine as city dogs and that even though she has strong hunting lines she sells most of her pups as pets to people in town. That made me a little less worried too.

Also, my boy is so so sweet, intelligent, AFFECTIONATE!, cuddly, etc (everything I love in a dog) it is worth all the early headaches and I'm already wondering if I could ever have a different breed!

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
I am a fan of the "Springer" bicycle attachment. You can run your dog along quiet city streets for 1/2 hour or more to "drain" the physical need of your Vizsla as it gets older.

http://redbirddog.blogspot.com/2009/12/roading-with-vizslas-on-bike.html

Walking for an hour is ok, but a run along side of a bike gets them stronger and healthier than a walk. Try and get out of town and out into the country once or twice a week for an off-leash walk. This is where a Vizsla comes alive. They are a 1000-year-old breed that was built to run all day long next to horses while hunting. The closer you can duplicate this activity, the happier your pup will be growing up.

Ran Bailey for 10 miles yesterday (Sunday), off my mountain bike along our city streets early in the morning before traffic got heavy. We got home and he was relaxed the rest of the day.

Whatever you can do, don't create a "couch potato" Vizsla. Too many of them in my opinion.

Rod
http://redbirddog.blogspot.com

·
Registered
809 Posts
redbirddog said:
Ran Bailey for 10 miles yesterday (Sunday), off my mountain bike along our city streets early in the morning before traffic got heavy. We got home and he was relaxed the rest of the day.
Rod,
When you say you ran him in the morning, this was attached to your bike?
How are his pads after a 10 mile jog since I can only assume he is running on asphalt.

I recently bought a bicycle and would like to get the springer you use but need to find the proper time of day to take Kian out for him to get used to it.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
No need to worry.
We had the same thoughts, even called the breeder 2 days later and offered to return Sam.
We thought he needed to run for miles and miles. Not true!!!!
Our Sam has lots of energy and chewing and jumping but all that can be managed.
It is us who benefited from Sam. We walk with him and our health improved beyond our wildest expectations.

As a puppy he needs bonding to humans (after 2nd puppy shot - Pravo is a serious problem).
No need for special training.

We found this forum to be very helpful and appreciate the insightful posts.

We read a post by "Linescreamer" who stressed the need to work on bonding with the Vizsla pup prior to intense traning. Because of this we have a pup who is easier to train, NICE.
Also, please check the blog posted by "redbirddog" above - insightful and responsible.

Julius

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
"Rod,
When you say you ran him in the morning, this was attached to your bike?
How are his pads after a 10 mile jog since I can only assume he is running on asphalt.

I recently bought a bicycle and would like to get the springer you use but need to find the proper time of day to take Kian out for him to get used to it."

We would go for about 2 1/2 miles then stop at a park. Ride 2 1/2 miles and stop at a pub. Return trip same thing. Not a problem. Pads are fine but we do so much walking they are tough.

Rod
http://redbirddog.blogspot.com

·
Registered
16 Posts
I took two years to get Luda because so many people (who clearly had no idea) told me that it wasn't fair to have a Vizsla in the city. She get's on just great - she's one now - with big local woods and parks.

My mother in law had a pearl of wisdom which eventually led to us getting her - "dog's don't need gardens; dog's need walking"

Substitute "walking" for "running" and I think she was spot on!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts