Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
The Chilly Dogs coats are AWESOME! They are easy to put on and the tail end doesn't fly up in the wind! We bought one for Magnus when he was a puppy (we got him during January) and bought a bigger one the following year because the first one was so great!

Cheers!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone heard that coats are more likely to get your dog sick with a cold? My husband's grandfather owned his own small animal Vet practice (where I heard it). They live in central NE...we live North of Fargo, ND. Maybe in more temperate winter weather (where dog would sweat then cool off, repeat) would cause more problems versus just subzero freezing (everything is cold) all the time.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
The only place dogs actually sweat from is their paw pads. Also, keep in mind that dogs, just like humans, catch a cold due to a viral infection, not because of cold temperatures.

Winter coats are a nice idea if you dog is waiting in a cold car, and are bound to improve his comfort level. Coats are not really necessary if your dog is out running around and generating lots of body heat. JMO. Boots, however, are a great idea if you dog is running a long distance in cold weather, because dogs can get frost bite, too.

p.s. Imagine the 1,150 mile-long Iditarod race without dog boots. It would be downright inhumane. (It might be inhumane even WITH dog boots.)

·
Registered
22 Posts
If anybody's V has out grown their Chilly dog coat and you want sell it at a reasonable price let me know. I'd like to get Lux our 5 month old V (I'd say about 23 pounds right now) a coat for the winter but don't want to spend $100 on something she's going to wear for one winter. Also at about how many weeks are V's about full grown? 18 months?
Thanks!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hardts said:
Also at about how many weeks are V's about full grown? 18 months?
Thanks!
They finish growing height wise at 14 months, but will continue to fill out until they are 2. However, this may be reduced somewhat if nuetered early on (at 6 months, etc). At 6 months they are GENERALLY 70-75% of their adult weight/height. GENERALLY most V's are mediums in Chilly Dog coats (Great North Coat). If you grab a medium, it may be a little big at first, but she should be pretty much filling it out by the end of the winter.

·
Registered
202 Posts
@ Hardts......

We ordered our 5 month old V his coat and yes its a bit big but hes growing like a weed. :)

We ordered a med. and gave all his sizes now with a note that we wanted this for him when he grows up. Even though its a bit big on him yet he can still wear it this winter. It adjusts so its still snug just a little long. He wears it for a while in the house now to get use to it...and gets treats so its associated with a happy reward. ;D

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.