Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I gave Finn his monthly preventable (have been giving him Simparica Trio monthly since I've had him; 5 months). A couple hours after taking this, he started swelling and hiving up. I called my vet and they told me to give him a 50 mg dose of Benadryl and to watch his swelling and breathing. Even after an hour, the swelling was getting worse around his eyes, nose, and chest so without hesitation, we went to VSC here in Buffalo Grove, IL (emergency/critical care vet clinic). Thankfully it was just an allergic reaction. They gave him injectable doses of Benadryl and a steroid (dexamethasone), and he seems to be doing a lot better; swelling has gone down tremendously. I will continue to give him Benadryl as the vet recommended.

The Vet still doesn't quite know what to attribute the reaction to, but nothing else has changed in our daily lives (food, laundry detergent, etc.). I'm thinking the Simparica Trio has cumulative effects after it builds up in the system, and caused a latent allergic reaction (just my assumption after reading the package insert and safety trials). I'm switching to Interceptor Plus indefinitely. I thought I would let the community know as a precaution. This monthly preventable is also not recommended in dogs with existing neurological or seizure disorders, which vizslas in general are prone to.

Has anyone else had trouble with this specific medication? Please let me know!

·
Administrator
8,225 Posts
It may, or may not have been caused from the simparica.
To be on the safe side, you could change to a different one that does not have the same active ingredients.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It may, or may not have been caused from the simparica.
To be on the safe side, you could change to a different one that does not have the same active ingredients.
Thank you for your input! I'm definitely switching to Interceptor Plus, and in the future will try and split the doses over 2-3 days as it is a highly concentrated/packed preventative. The owner of my pup's dad did this and said she has had no issues. She also said her veterinarian said this is an ok thing to do if your dog has been sensitive to the one-time, whopping dose.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts