Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
MilesMom said:
mlwindc, that sounds awesome! We are on the lookout for something similar for our boys! We found some on dogvacay.com in the area but I am holding out for a recommendation.
We do love her.. we found her via word of mouth from a neighbor who has a pup who she treats like her baby. Our walker has 3 goldens of her own, so she loves big dogs. She's not totally on board with the no-neuter, but she hasn't had any problems with Wilson. In the meantime, he gets lots of exercise and is super happy and free to be out, so everyone stays sane.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Males also tend to look a lot more female when they are neutered young. I remember reading it before I got my V and after seeing numerous Vs in the city I have seen it first hand. The intact males are undoubtably male looking but almost every neutered male I have seen is a toss up. I learned pretty quick to look before I say "how old is she?".

Friendbeast: I don't think a vasectomy would change behavior, only prevent him from knocking someone up. It seems like that public pressure to neuter is mainly to alter behavior. Public pressure to spay females is to prevent unwanted litters.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My thinking is that non-castration sterilisation would eliminate the the one motivation for neutering I actually agree with.
At the moment (6 months) Fenrir does not have an agressive bony in his body. I'm hoping I could deal with behaviour, but I would not want to be responsible for puppies. The opportunites for off leash running I have are in areas where we will encounter other dogs. I would hate to have to keep him on leas for the next 6 months to a year!

·
Registered
257 Posts
We live in an urban area and although we feel the "pressure" to neuter, we haven't yet. Almost no one we encounter understands it, and so I simply say we're letting him grow, and leave it at that.

I also know Watson has better manners than most of the altered dogs we've run into, and so I just let that speak for itself.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hopefully I don't get hammered on this but I think it's the responsibility of the female's owner to make sure she is not running around off leash in public places when in heat. I don't think getting a female pregnant should be any consideration.

Behaviorally, I suppose some intact dogs might be aggressive/physically dominate, but in my pup it's the other dogs that have a problem with him. I would say about 25% of the neutered male dogs we come across don't like Berleley, and I'm guessing it's because he is intact and automatically asserts a chemical dominance, which they don't like. Although it's rare to encounter intact dogs in the city, I can't think of a single instance when an intact dog didn't like him. He loves everyone and he is always surprised when a dog barks or jumps at him. He actually always backs away of he gets lunged at. Even then he doesn't assert any physical dominance.

Interestingly, after an encounter with a neutered dog that barked or lunged, he pees on the next pole or tree he finds (but doesn't after a normal encounter). Seems to me that he is asserting an instinctual passive dominance.

·
Administrator
7,994 Posts
friendbeast said:
My thinking is that non-castration sterilisation would eliminate the the one motivation for neutering I actually agree with.
At the moment (6 months) Fenrir does not have an agressive bony in his body. I'm hoping I could deal with behaviour, but I would not want to be responsible for puppies. The opportunites for off leash running I have are in areas where we will encounter other dogs. I would hate to have to keep him on leas for the next 6 months to a year!
Even neutered males will attempted to breed a willing female.
A female in heat only has a few days out of the cycle that she will stand for a male.
There is no reason to keep your male leashed just because he is intact.
Owners of females in heat keep them away from other dogs at the critical time.
My advice is quit stressing and enjoy your pup.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts