Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When should I get my puppy neutered? He is 6 months old and I have been told by the vet he needs his canine teeth pulled. They want to do both at the same time. However, I was told by the breeder to wait till he is a little older to neuter him? What have you guys heard?

·
Registered
599 Posts
I am facing the same issue, however based on everything I have heard on here and from my breeder, I'm planning on two separate procedures. I want to wait til he is at least 1 yr to neuter him. He is 5 months right now.

·
Registered
809 Posts
We neutered our guy at 10 months others have done it earlier and some later.
It's really up to you.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Axel is 10 weeks old now, and our breeder said the same thing, that you should wait until he is one years old because they loose some of there male characterisics if they are neutered too young. Our breeder also stated that our vet would mostly argue this advice as they like to neuter young. Our vet was neutral he did agree on some aspects, however he said your dog may show some concerns for you if you wait longer, such as peeing and marking his territory all over the place (indoors and outside), wanting to run off and find a female companion, etc. He basically said it's up to you and how your dogs behavior is later on and if you can handle it.. So, we are basically going to try and last a year if we can, we shall see though...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Our male was done at 5 months because we were leaving on a 90 day trip. Our vet said he has done males as early as 3 months with no ill effects.

·
Registered
599 Posts
In my case, the vet claims that the adult teeth may not grow in correctly with the puppy teeth there. I had a thread about it last week, apparently it's somewhat common. Kobi's lower canines are growing in inside of his puppy canines, so they COULD potentially grow on the inside of the upper teeth instead of outside. The upper canines seem to be growing in behind, so I think they will be fine. Who knows what the Vet will say though...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I did alot of reading on this subject matter as well regarding Vizslas only. Based on that I have read we will have our Rusty done at 1 year.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

I'd appreciate any insight on this issue of neutering. My dog Woody is just past the age of 8 months, he's marking like the Dickens and mounting whenever he feels compelled to. I've read all the posts here and want to hear more opinions on this subject. Does anyone have firsthand experience on the pros and cons of early neutering ( like Woody's age now )?
The breeder whom we got Woody from suggested around the 18 month time frame, earlier ( like around now ) if there was aggressive behaviour. There's no aggression at all yet with Spring just around the corner I don't want wandering or straying off when I do any voice recalling.
I've spoken to two different vets on this subject and while one advocated neutering as early as six months, the other vet was ( somewhat ) of the opinion that neutering after one year of age might be beneficial as well. Now I'm really confused.
Any thoughts or advice?

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
There have been several other treads on this topic and lots of different ideas. Merc was done even younger than woody and we haven't seen any I'll effects. Didn't change his personality, he seems to have grown just fine (a little on the big side maybe, not sure if that is related to the neutering or not). I'd be happy to have my next dog done around 6 months again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We got our 2 year old V neutered when he was six months old and it has not effected him at all, we got our 6 month old neutered when he was just between 3 and 4 months old, and we have not experienced any trouble with that as well. The only thing with getting them neutered that early is they will probably continue to pee like a girl dog,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you for all your help on the neutering. Kip is 10 months and we are trying hard to wait till he is 12 months. He has no agression but mounts every dog possible, Male or female!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
We were advised to wait as long as possible by the breeder and by our vet, 18 months was recommended as it allows them to fully develop. Well Diesel had his trip to the vet yesterday just before turning 18 months! He wasn't too happy but apart from alot of bruising today you wouldn't think he'd had a general anaesthetic ::) ;D It is lead only exercise for 10 days!!!! :eek: Not looking forward to that!
Hoping that over the next 2 months he will settle down a bit ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
with the larger breed dogs, neutering early will result in a taller, more leggy dog while leaving them intact longer leads to the long bones and muscles getting thicker and more burly. When you neuter will be up to you depending on how you want him to look in the end. Neutering earlier will help to avoid marking behaviour and aggression but this can be minimized with training also.
With the females, best to spay before the first heat to minimize the chance of mammary cancer down the road.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My breeder told me to wait if possible until at least a year....longer is better. She said that the growth plates develop at different rates and that doing it earlier can result in the proportions between parts of the skeleton can be just a bit off of normal or ideal. This might not matter in a pet who is not highly active, she said you would likely not notice it by look or activity at the time. However, in an athletic dog who runs distance regularly, hunts, or does sports like agility it could show up late in life in the form of more joint problems and arthritis due to the strain of activity.

I did a bit of research, and the study that swayed me to wait as long as reasonable for our family (17 months for us) looked at 1444 golden retrievers and found:

Dogs that have been spayed or neutered well before puberty can frequently be identified by their longer limbs, lighter bone structure, narrow chests and narrow skulls. This abnormal growth frequently results in significant alterations in body proportions and particularly the lengths (and therefore weights) of certain bones relative to others. For example, if the femur has achieved its genetically determined normal length at 8 months when a dog gets spayed or neutered, but the tibia, which normally stops growing at 12 to 14 months of age continues to grow, then an abnormal angle may develop at the stifle. In addition, with the extra growth, the lower leg below the stifle likely becomes heavier (because it is longer), and may cause increased stresses on the cranial cruciate ligament.
Salmeri KR, Bloomberg MS, Scruggs SL, Shille V.. Gonadectomy in immature dogs: effects on skeletal, physical, and behavioral development. JAVMA 1991;198:1193-1203
Internet source: http://www.caninesports.com/SpayNeuter.html

There are a ton of opinions out there, and good reasons to do it early or to wait. We each have to do what is right for us and our dog. For my family it came down to looking honestly at how hard we wanted to be able to work our dog. I did not want to worry that our jogging, biking, hiking and hopefully future agility activities (things that are necessary to have a happy V) will result in a more painful later life. I want him to calm down due to exercise, but not slow down due to joint pain. Just know that because you can't SEE the changes caused now doesn't mean that there are none. Remember, every organization with a webpage out there has an agenda to promote...think about how that agenda does or does not match your and your dogs lifestyle and needs. Good luck with your choices, it certainly isn't an easy choice.

I should also say, no matter when you do it, I am pretty proud that we have become a pro-neutering society. It was pretty clear when he was a year old and people around us started making comments about him and his big old balls. I did feel some pressure to explain why he still had them. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
My Rusty is now 12 months and I understand the peer pressure issue from others. People always ask why he's not fixed yet and I reply back "Why aren't you?" But that's another story. Today he was scheduled for his fix but I have mixed feelings and will probably cancel. I don't have a problem having it done I just don't want it done too soon and I would feel better at 14 months to have it done to make sure as most studies point out.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Haha, Kobi is my first dog so I never knew how socially unacceptable it was to not have your dog fixed :D I have got some unexpected reactions though. The other day I took him to visit some friends at my fraternity (all about 20-21 years old), and one of the guys was letting him climb all over him. Then someone pointed out that his little ginger nuts were rubbing on his shirt and they all started freaking out. I thought it was pretty funny... I guess I am used to it but it's not like they are slimy or anything! Apparently some people are really bothered by ginger nuts!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts