Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The Ortho thinks it may be panostetis, which frankly makes no sense, but we'll see. He has none of the indicators (pain, limping, loss of appetite, etc). It'd be great if it ended up being treatable, but I'm not holding out hope. We'll try meds and limited activity for 7-10 days (good luck!) and see what happens...

The breeder will work with us whether we decide to return him or not, so that's nice.

·
Administrator
9,377 Posts
It would be great, if that's what it is.
Was he able to explain why he shows no pain?
But I will say, some of these dogs have a high pain tolerance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
We just got the prognosis from the vet end of day. I'm going to ask a ton of questions tomorrow. I'll trust the orthos's read of the X-ray, but it certainly doesnt show physically like all explanations I've seen (including the structural deformity since we picked him up). Still crossing our fingers. There is hope at least.

·
Administrator
9,377 Posts
Did the ortho only look at xrays, and not examine your pup?
I'm bad about throwing tons of questions at vets, but certainly know they have more knowledge than me.
I just like to have a full understanding of a diagnoses, and treatment.

When one of my fosters dogs required hip surgery. We saw two different orthopedic surgeons, that specialize in hips. Each recommend a different surgery. You would have though I started world war 3, when I question on why. They shared their findings with other ortho vets around the world, to back up their prognosis.
One of the surgeons will probably never speak to me again, as I went with the other surgeon. I am happy how things turned out, as Abbey has 90% use of her leg. This is after she was unable to use it, for the first year of her life.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hello,
So sorry you are having to deal with health issues. It is never easy. I just wanted to ask if you are feeding "large breed" puppy food? I have read before about it causing growth issues when it is fed to "non" large breeds. Vizslas are not large breeds but for some reason I see a lot of owners feeding it to their dogs. They even say the vets recommend it. Well, I was hoping that would be just an easy fix / idea.

I also wanted to say that both of my dogs were about the same weight as yours at that age. One was about 5 pounds and the other about 7 pounds when we brought them home and the one was 18 pounds at 16 weeks and the other was about 24 pounds at 16 weeks. So the weight seems fine to me.

I sure hope you get some answers. And I hope there is an easy fix for your sweet puppy!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I thought that I would check back in with this to again say thanks and to fill out the story for people who might have similar issues in the future.

His xrays still show inflammation at the joints, and the vet thinks this is causing the bending. We moved him from orijen puppy to the large puppy version to try to slow down growth to let the short bone catch up a bit. I don't know if that is the right thinking, but there is conflicted advice everywhere. (We were on acana puppy and then orijen puppy for the first 4.5 months.)

I don't think that things are getting better, so we'll have to decide whether to spend more money trying to get a diagnosis or whether to just monitor and treat issues as they arise. It looks like the most common option would be to cut through the short bone in each leg to allow the other bone to straighten out. That would close in on $10k of expenses and be putting a dog through over a month of no activity on either front leg. That cost and burden seems too high, so we're trying to treat this with antiinflammatories to see if that helps. This may not be a good long-term approach, but we really can't justify that expense at this point, and although the breeder would refund us our money if we returned him, we presume that taking that approach would be an effective death sentence. We're sort of just crossing our fingers, doing what we can, and enjoying a fun pup.

In any event, he's a happy pup, and we're happy to keep him as a "rescue" if nothing else. We recently adopted a weim from a rescue to fill in as the "running dog," so that both saves another dog and relieves the internal battle over our vizsla's suitability for running in the future.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thank you for the update. It sounds like my previous dog, a Labrador, had a similar situation. He was on Rimadyl for 6 months of his puppyhood (6 mo.-1 year). His bones were growing too rapidly, and his body couldn't keep up. The issue actually began in his jaw (craniomandibular osteopathy) and then showed up in one of his front legs. One day, a knot appeared on his leg. We thought he had been bitten by a snake, but it turned out to be swelling due to joint pain. The pain meds helped tremendously. The prognosis at the time (15 years ago) was bleak: euthanasia (because if it could not be corrected, he would always be in pain), surgery (which was expensive and offered no guarantee), or pain meds until he reached full maturity and "hope" he outgrew the problem. We were very fortunate that the latter was successful. He went on to live to be 14 years old and only had joint/hip issues in the last 2 years of his life. I am hopeful for you and your pup as well!

·
Administrator
9,377 Posts
It sounds like you are doing everthing you can afford to do. I don't know your breeder. So I don't know if returning him, would mean the end of his life.
Its the reason some vizsla puppies go to a Vizsla rescue. Their medical expenses are just to high for their owners.
He sounds like he's happy, and loved. Unless things change, I wouldn't be able to give him up either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know this is an older thread but I’m curious if you could share your outcome if possible. We have a 4 month old with what appears to be a similar condition. We have also been to vet and orthopedic but have not gotten any kind of clear answer.

Ours has similar swolen joints with open growth plates. No pain and very happy generally.

Very curious how your situation turned out.

Thanks,
Jack

21 - 29 of 29 Posts