Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I was just wondering the average age when viszlas growth slows down and stops.

Hercules is now 6.5 months old and weighs 22kg (48lb). I met a 2 year old male v today that was the same size as him.

Will the growth start slowing down soon or is he going to be a mammoth?

Alice :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
My Phoebe hit her size pretty close to one year. She has put on a few pounds since then (currently 22 months old and 48 lbs) but is quite close to the same size/weight as when she was 11 months- 13 months.

Rh.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
It seems to me that they reach "almost" their adult weight/height by the age of one year, but... they keep growing, albeit much more slowly, until the age of two years. At least that is what I have seen. :)

·
Administrator
8,099 Posts
mswhipple said:
It seems to me that they reach "almost" their adult weight/height by the age of one year, but... they keep growing, albeit much more slowly, until the age of two years. At least that is what I have seen. :)
That's what I have seen in mine. They did get wider once they are at a mature age between 2 and 3 years old.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Darcy.my little Vizsla bitch is 14 months now and only 21 inches at the shoulder, she weighs in at 18 kilos.....she is such a lovely dog, crazy from morning till night but a real pocket rocket....to tell you the truth I thought she may have been a bit bigger, my last dog was a Weimaraner he was a big lad.....

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
At 14 months, Darcy is still growing (although slowly now). I'm sure that no matter what her eventual size, she will not disappoint. Welcome to the forums! :)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Thanks for the reply..Darcy is just a georgous little dog, so loving towards everyone and such a joy and a credit to the Vizsla breed....

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Looney, loved the picture - gorgeous dog. It was interesting for me to see how big your 51/2 month old is against mine. Boris is just 5 month, but looks smaller. He is 21" to the shoulder now and weighs in at 20Kgs. We have stopped feeding him puppy feeds as he seemed to be growing too fast - and he certainly seems to have slowed down the past three weeks. How tall is your?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Never measured him, I'm 6'4" and I don't have to bend to touch his head!?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Mine is also on a RAW diet, but I'm only 5'4" and I do have to bend slighty to pat his head - so I guess yours must be a quite a bit bigger than mine!!!

I'm not too fussed if he is on the small side as we have a huge Dane and that is one big dog - so a smaller one is great!!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
It also depends on if/when you get them altered. I have seen the difference between an intact adult male and a male that was altered at a young age - there is a HUGE difference in size, muscle mass, and build. I really prefer the look of intact males.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Laszlo is now a bit over 6 months and 40lbs but is soooo skinny! I can see some ribs but not too bad....I am pleased so far with his development.

·
Administrator
4,201 Posts
I'm pretty sure that Ruby has stopped growing now she's 12 months old, she seems to have stayed same height/weight for 2-3 months now.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I thought Dozer was done around 20 mos but then he seemed to have another spurt right before we got Penny. The week before her, the inlaws were down and even commented on him "filling out". He'll be 2 aug 31 so I guess in his case it's true they grow until their 2.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh well guess I will need a bigger sofa if he keeps growing! He gets weighed next wk so will keep you posted!

Funny thing is, he looks quite short to me! Just long body, and solid thats why hes so heavy! Maybe he will get more graceful as he gets older!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts