Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

201 - 220 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
u got the second joy now, congratulations:))). it will be sooo much fun, very happy for you.

So far so good. Our 22-month old male V has accepted her nicely and very playful together. I was a bit nervous getting a second V because our male is so active and requires a ton of exercise. But we worked very closely with the breeder and obviously wanted a female and we worked together in temperament, etc. So far she's been a complete joy and appears much calmer than our male......fingers crossed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We named our V Frances. She's been the best addition to our family; plays with our 6yo son and 2yo daughter and is so gentle with them. She get's a little rougher as my boy plays rougher, but she somehow knows where the line is and never crosses it or gets too rough.

I always had Labs before, but we wanted something a little smaller. I understand why ppl say that once you own a Vizsla, you'll never want anything else. We love this dog!

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
We named our V Frances. She's been the best addition to our family; plays with our 6yo son and 2yo daughter and is so gentle with them. She get's a little rougher as my boy plays rougher, but she somehow knows where the line is and never crosses it or gets too rough.

I always had Labs before, but we wanted something a little smaller. I understand why ppl say that once you own a Vizsla, you'll never want anything else. We love this dog!

She's an absolute beauty. We just got our first female V two weeks ago and it's been a joy. She loves her 2-yr old brother (male V).

Chloe is her name......will post pics soon.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My Vizslas have allways been Cap (Captain) for the male and Skip (Skipper) for the female and it has to do about a sailboat I owned and equality. Also, Cap and Skip are distinct and have a snap to it, good for training. I can have Skip go left and Cap go right on command.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm a life-long bicycle freak. Started on a banana seat Schwinn, moved over to BMX, then Mountain Bikes, and Road Bikes. In french, the word for bicycle is Velo.

On my way home from the breeder, with the 8 week old pup in the car, my good friend John called. His email address is [email protected]. And I used to call him mellow velo on occasion. I was going to name the pup Victor after my dad, but that darn cute little pup sitting there with great big puppy eyes just did not look like a Victor! So when mellow velo called, guess what went through my mind??

Yup he was called officially Velo. But most of the time he was Mr. V since he was such a gentleman. And when his playful side came out and he started stealing one of my socks as I was putting on the other, or hiding my shoes out in the yard while I was getting ready for work, he was affectionately called Stinky Man.
Update to my first post in this thread (above). I lost Mr. V to a rattlesnake bite. At 8 years old. That was horrible experience and I'll never forget him. He was a true gentleman. But still very silly when he wanted to be.

I've since gotten a new V named O.G., registered as O.G. Valhalla Vizsla. The O.G. stands for Originally Green because he had a green collar on at the breeder. I was second in line for a male. The litter only had two males. The guy in front of me came to see them and told the breeder he wanted both males, but she said nope as I was already in line. It was touch and go for a while on which one he was going to pick. And I had no interest in the other male. So I started telling the breeder how I was really only interested in the Green Collar puppy and would forfeit my deposit if the other guy took green collar. She went to bat for me and the other guy didn't care. He wanted either one, so he took yellow collar, and I got green!

Depending who is asking me:
What kind of dog is that? Oh he's not a weimaraner? He's really pretty. Do they have a lot of energy? How did you train him to stay by your side like that? ... 20 more questions later, and then what's his name? O.G. ... does that stand for Original Gangsta? -- or I also get, huh, you named your dog Oh Gee? Like Oh Gee he's so cute? It's gotten to the point where I just say Yup. You guessed it. So I can move on about my business.

·
Registered
29 Posts
AKC name: Mira's Saber Six, call name "Strider". Saber Six is a Hollywood call sign for a Cavalry Squadron Commander. Strider is a reference to the breeder's mothers kennel, Strider from Lord of the Rings, Mick Strider who made my knife I carried in Afghanistan, and the way these dogs strut.

Cheers and good luck,
Tim
Scouts Out!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
AKC name: Mira's Saber Six, call name "Strider". Saber Six is a Hollywood call sign for a Cavalry Squadron Commander. Strider is a reference to the breeder's mothers kennel, Strider from Lord of the Rings, Mick Strider who made my knife I carried in Afghanistan, and the way these dogs strut.

Cheers and good luck,
Tim
Scouts Out!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Our first V is Boca. He earned that as everything he got around as a pup went into his mouth. He is a little better about it now but is still the chewingest dog I've ever seen. Boca is 2 and last Fall we got him a playmate and named her Katie. Katie is from the same breeder but different blood line. Boca takes care of her like she is a little sister. While they play hard he never hurts her. I could not ask for better family members.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Our seven month old boy is named Erdős, for the Hungarian mathematician Paul Erdős who published around 1000 papers. My partner and I were both mathematicians by training, and his field in particular was Combinatorics so he feels an affinity with Hungarian mathematicians. I also spent a semester in Budapest studying math. And given he’s a V, well it just seemed natural.

Mathematicians measure themselves by their Erdős number, the lower the better- if you were Erdős, you have a number of zero. If you worked with him, it’s 1. If you worked with somebody who worked with him, it’s 2, etc. And now that we have our boy, I like to pretend to put him down as a coauthor and have the lowest possible number :D

Although the next time we get a V it wouldn’t be a math reference, probably. I’ll give her a more fanciful name.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oh geez, we have a Ginger :) This is my 3rd female Vizsla, previously had a Mila (Casa Mila) then our Ella (Ella Fitz) who passed at 10 just a week before quarantine this year:(
Now we have our Ginger!
Just brought her home today, she’s 8 weeks!
STRUGGLING TO GET FULL NAME...anyone’s input??
GiGi is what we’ll call her, so wanted 2 names that start with G... but not a requirement! Currently toiling over:
1) Ginger Gilmour (anyone know who that is?!)
2) Ginger Ginsburg (in honor of the notorious RGB whom we lost here in America on Friday)
3) Ginger Leigh (so this would sound like “gingerly” when stating her full name)
4) Candied Ginger
5) Ginger The Great

LOVE all these names on here! Wow!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm just wondering what everyones V's are named. ;D I don't have my Vizsla yet and it'll probably be quite some time until I'm able to get her (or him, though I'm really wanting a girl). I've made a list of names I like, but haven't decided on anything (& probably won't until I'm able to meet her/him!) I will, however, share my other dogs names :p

Harleigh - 18 month old Black Labrador Retriever
Rebel - 3 year old American Pit Bull Terrier (he's my "nephew" :p)

So, whats your Vizslas (and other dogs!) names? :)
Dare who is 15 months old and tries every thing once 😀

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm just wondering what everyones V's are named. ;D I don't have my Vizsla yet and it'll probably be quite some time until I'm able to get her (or him, though I'm really wanting a girl). I've made a list of names I like, but haven't decided on anything (& probably won't until I'm able to meet her/him!) I will, however, share my other dogs names :p

Harleigh - 18 month old Black Labrador Retriever
Rebel - 3 year old American Pit Bull Terrier (he's my "nephew" :p)

So, whats your Vizslas (and other dogs!) names? :)
Rozsie

201 - 220 of 220 Posts