Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
We feed our 8 month V:

Morning - One cup of Nutrience dog biscuits & one chicken neck.
Evening - Two cups of Nutrience dog biscuits & half a cup of puppy mince (which is usually chicken or venison). Sometimes this is supplemented with rice or leftovers such as beans, brocolli, potatoe. She loves brocolli.

She loves the chicken necks and they are cheap to buy. If I need to fatten her up I feed her a small brisket bone at noon. Only one and no more than one every couple of days or I have found that she gets the runs.

I've just had 2 weeks vacation and she was run pretty hard every second day. Never changed her diet at all. Where we were there was 4 other V's. This was really weird, I've never seen so many in one place. Everyone was asking what they were feeding. Our dog seemed to be in the best condition and was probably doing the most work.

I have found that occasionally she will only eat part of her morning meal. Sometimes you have to stand over her to entice her to eat. Seems to be easily distracted if she thinks you are going to leave her behind!!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
When she was younger we had problems getting weight on her. Probably as she was growing so fast (wish we had taken more photos!). Our vet suggested chicken necks. We get them in a pack of about 20 at the market. I put one or two in the bowl first and then the biscuits on top. She always digs out the chicken neck first. She is more likely to eat the biscuits if she has a chicken neck in there especially if you roll it around in the biscuits and taint them with the smell. And lets face it who wants to eat just dry biscuits every day? Ever try eating a dry wheat biscuit for breakfast!

They are raw. The chicken bones are soft so she has no problem with them.

The vet also recommended feed her diced carrots as a treat when training and she loves those as well.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I started giving my V small bits of cheese during training but stopped as I thought it was starting to give her a rash on her belly between her back legs. So now no dairy and I stay away from wheat products too.

Gave her an egg mashed in with her biscuits this morning as I had run out of chicken necks. She loved it.

Whats the concern with chicken and pork? Have you had a bad experience with it?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts