Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm just curious to find out what your V's personality is like when they're around different environments. For example, Snickers is great with other dogs but skiddish with people.... Here's just a small checklist that I am inquiring about, please fill free to add on:

Age and Gender of your dog:[/color] 2 year old Male
Other Dogs[/color]: Loves being around them and is a "best friend" to many. Plays best if there is just another dog. If there are more, he doesn't know which dog to play with.
Loner or Social Butterfly:[/color] After smelling and greeting a lot of dogs he will go off and do his own thing.
Aggression:[/color] Will only start barking at another dog if that dog initiates the growling and barking as if to say, "What's the problem? Take it easy dog!!!"
Unfamiliar People[/color]: He is constantly being exposed to people and different surroundings, BUT will shy away and dodge the head petting when people try to pet him. This drives us crazy, he's very cautious
Eating:[/color] Eats to Live-food doesn't drive him, but he's not under weight
Silent or Noisy sleeper:[/color] Snickers moans A LOT and will snore loudly if he's not curled up ;D
Indoors or Outdoors:[/color] He is a 90% indoor dog-goes wherever we go
Amount of exercise:[/color] Snickers goes out at least 3 times a day. If we have the energy and time, we'll also go to the dog park, trails, or beach.
How many pets do you have?[/color]: Snickers and two mini lops bunnies who are older than him
Barking:[/color] Will bark pretty much only when someone is knocking on the door, other than that pretty quiet

Thanks looking forward to hearing from you!

Attachments

·
Registered
809 Posts
Okay, let's see here....

Other Dogs[/color]: He likes other dogs, has a few dog friends that really get him going. But recently he has become a little shy around some dogs when on a walk... after a nice greeting the tail starts to go and then all he wants to do is play.
Loner or Social Butterfly:[/color] After smelling and greeting a lot of dogs he will go off and do his own thing. Yeah, Kian is the same.
Aggression:[/color] Very, very rare. A dog tried mounting him today and it didn't faze him, he was waiting for me to throw the ball. But he will express himself if he feels the other dog is crossing the line.
Unfamiliar People[/color]: We try and socialize him as much as possible, he doesn't like his head to be touched. If you show him affection he will jump up and lick your face... guess we better work on that, eh. :-[
Eating:[/color] Yeah, he eats what we give him... if he finds something on a walk or in a park it's pretty much gone.....especially horse patties :-X
Barking:[/color] Only to tell another dog where to go or at objects he is not too sure of... you know, like a concrete statue ::) ...cause they pose such a threat ;D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Other dogs: Likes bigger dogs, not much use for the small ones - we go to training class, so she loves seeing all the other dogs

Loner or Social Butterfly: Loner - will smell and try to play a little but gets bored and looks for a person or goes off to do her own thing

Agression: None (thank goodness) introduced her to another V this past weekend - this dog was so agressive towards her , growled and snapped -I was nervous - didn't know if this was normal behavior for a male V toward a female (pup) V

Unfamiliar people: I don't think there are any unfamiliar people -she loves EVERYBODY!

Eating: OMG! Could this dog possibly eat anything else! I believe she would eat until she pukes! I think she is a little overweight right now (45lbs @ 11mo) but she has been on prednisone for about a month

Barking: Only when someone rings doorbell or hears a motorcycle - what a watchdog

This is fun to read what everyone else's V's are like! Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Other Dogs: cautious of other dogs, will let them come to her, and will either play or move on.

Loner or Social Butterfly: Social butterfly, once she knows everyone will play all day

Aggression: Rare may snap at other dog if prevoked, very submissive so other dogs just give up

Unfamiliar People: Just loves people, sometimes I get jealous hehe, very good with little kids to

Eating: Enjoys her food, loves her treats, but will only eat what we give

Silent or Noisy sleeper: Snoarer, and wriggler / cotortionist

Indoors or Outdoors: Sleeps indoors , and plays outdoors in the yards a lot

Amount of exercise: twice a day, to the park , beach , wherever.

How many pets do you have?: Chino has an older poodle x sister who she terrorizes

Barking: she will bark when very excited or at strange things, garbage bins, people with shopping bags, you know the scary stuff haha

Great topic btw

·
Registered
73 Posts
Other Dogs:[/color] He loves other dogs and is very friendly
Loner or Social Butterfly:[/color] Social Butterfly, will play with other dogs all day if I let him, and if there are no dogs around he wants to be where the people are.
Aggression:[/color] Extremely rare. Rossi is a submissive dog (comes from growing up around my friends 8 dogs!)
Unfamiliar People:[/color] Loves people and loves kids.
Eating:[/color] Can take it or leave it, often he doesn't finish his kibble, but he does have very good food drive for training
Silent or Noisy sleeper:[/color] Silent most of the time, unless he lies at a strange angle and then he can snore. I usually say his name, he wakes up and stops snoring :D
Indoors or Outdoors: [/color]Outdoors in the kennel when I am at work, indoors with me when I am home. He's happiest being around me.
Amount of exercise: [/color]Like most V's he would run all day if given the chance, but he is actually very calm. Quite content to laze around the house as well as run all day
How many pets do you have?[/color]: Rossi and 1 Burmese cat. They love each other

Barking:[/color] Only if he gets a fright or sees hears something strange outside and even then he only barks once or twice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This was fun to read! Where in NZ do you and Rossi live NZ V? He sounds a lot like my V Graeme. We live in Waitakere...

Age and Gender of your dog: 1 and a 1/2 year old Male
Other Dogs: Loves other dogs to the point of distraction. Big dogs, little dogs, old dogs, unfriendly dogs who DON'T want to play. Graeme will do anything and everything to get their attention.
Loner or Social Butterfly: See above - definitely the social butterfly but he is learning good fetch the ball fixation.
Aggression: Not aggressive. Sometimes his exuberance and boisterousness is mistaken for aggression though...
Unfamiliar People: Unfamiliar people? Graeme thinks that everybody's his friend - they're all just people he hasn't jumped on before.
Eating: Eats well but not obsessed with food. Would rank exercise, company, cuddles and heat above eating.
Silent or Noisy sleeper: Does have a tendency to snore too when he's lying on his back, on his side... and even when he's still awake.
Indoors or Outdoors: Outdoors during the day when we're at work; indoors as often as he can wrangle it.
Amount of exercise: 10 minute walk in the morning and either an hour run. walk or hour at the dog park when I get home. Pretty much as much exercise as settles him down.
How many pets do you have?: Graeme has an older feline sibling - a more mature Tonkinese called Sid.
Barking: Will bark at Sid on occasion when he wants him to play. And likes to roo, especially when I've just got home and he's trying to tell me off for leaving him I think. Barks for attention.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Dexter and Scarlet:

Age and Gender of your dog:[/color] 17 month old Male and 8 month old Female

Other Dogs[/color]: Never met another dog that they didn't like.
Loner or Social Butterfly:[/color] Social butterfly. When we go to the dog park they first go say hello to every dog in the park and then go let every human in the park pet them.

Aggression:[/color] Very rare in either of them. Having another dog try to mount them will elicit a growl but that's about it.

Unfamiliar People[/color]: They love everyone they meet. Must get pets from everyone.

Eating:[/color] Scarlet eats nearly anything but always eats her kibble. Dexter loves veggies but is sometime picky about kibble.

Silent or Noisy sleeper:[/color] Both snore occasionally.

Indoors or Outdoors:[/color] About 50/50 for both. We had to install a doggie door so we would have to keep getting up to let them outside.

Amount of exercise:[/color] They chase each other around the back yard about 2-3 hours each day.

How many pets do you have?[/color]: Just the two.

Barking:[/color] They bark when the door bell rings. Dexter barks at birds that fly by and lizards on the back porch.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Kailua said:
Hi,
I'm just curious to find out what your V's personality is like when they're around different environments. For example, Snickers is great with other dogs but skiddish with people.... Here's just a small checklist that I am inquiring about, please fill free to add on:

Age and Gender of your dog:[/color] 5 year old Female
Other Dogs[/color]: Loves all dogs all sizes.
Loner or Social Butterfly:[/color] Social Butterfly mostly, but do notice in short time she usually pairs up with one dog from a group and ignor others. But never a loner.
Aggression:[/color] No aggression except maybe a warning show of the teeth and a nip if another dog gets too friendly.
Unfamiliar People[/color]: Something I worked on very hard by exposing her to different types of people and uniforms during her first 6 months. She is very friendly with strangers. There have been a couple times she has taken a defensive stance on an approaching person related to her reading the persons body language as a threat. Both times the dog was reading the strangers demeanor and attitude correctly.
Eating:[/color] Food has to be portioned and measured to prevent over eating.
Silent or Noisy sleeper:[/color] Snores on occasion. Heavy dreamer with lots of moans, growls, and low barks.
Indoors or Outdoors:[/color] Indoor dog at home, but also a working dog being outdoors from 30 to 40 hunting days a year in the fall and winter.
Amount of exercise:[/color] No schedule, but walks, retrieving, training, swimming, etc. most days
How many pets do you have?[/color]: Only the one.
Barking:[/color] Extremely vocal. Wines, growls, gruffs, barking, and noises I can't describe. But it is not annoying without purpose or excessive. She communicates what she wants or feels.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Very interesting reading everyone ;D.

Lillasar I live in the Waikato so not too far from where you are. We have V parties every now and again where 20 or so Vs and their slaves get together and run around like mad (the V's not the slaves, the slaves just eat lol) around a farm - I can send you an invite to the next one if you like?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Great idea Kailua. Interesting to see no-one's dog likes their head being patted...

Age and Gender of your dog:[/color] 2 year old neutered Male
Other Dogs:[/color] Loves other dogs, playing is his favourite thing in life. It took a long time (a year) before he worked out that some dogs don't want to play - he got snapped at a bit which didn't bother me but often bothered the other dog's ower. Sometimes he gets over-excited when playing and can't calm down again.
Loner or Social Butterfly[/color]: Social butterfly. When on group walks he will race from one end of the group to the other keeping an eye on everything that is going on.
Aggression: [/color] Not aggressive with other dogs but does not like unexpected moving things, esp joggers and cyclists (we're working on it) and will bark, sometimes growl at them.
Unfamiliar People[/color]: He was great with people (strangers are only friends you haven't licked yet) until about 18 months then got VERY cautious. Now he seems to be good with people who like dogs and very cautious and will bark at people who don't appear to like dogs. He also HATES people reaching over his head to pat him.
Eating:[/color] Eats lots although he will turn his nose at treats if he is stressed / more interested in something else. Likes to find his own food at the park........ the longer it has been dead the better......
Silent or Noisy sleeper[/color]: Snores and groans a little in his sleep
Indoors or Outdoors: Outdoors when we're out duiring the day, otherwise indoors
Amount of exercise: Two walks a day plus short training session, dog beach or something similar on the weekend.
How many pets do you have?: Burmese cat who doesn't play quite as much as merc would like
Barking: barks at 'interesting' things going on in field next door. Has a wide range of wierd noises for other occassions

·
Registered
105 Posts
Age and Gender of your dog: 2 year old female
Other Dogs: Great with other dogs. We are often complimented by other owners and dog daycare people that she plays nicely, and wears the other dogs out. Usually seeks out another dog who is a similar age and play style, specifically can keep up at chase. She does this by jumping around a dog, probably annoying it, until it will chase her. The one exception is huskies--they do not like when she does this and will become aggressive. Also is rarely interested in playing with other vizslas.
Loner or Social Butterfly: See above. Tries to find playmates, but will also spend time sniffing around the park or just chasing birds.
Aggression: Only with huskies?
Unfamiliar People: She is too excited to meet new people and still jumps up until they give her attention.
Eating: Will rarely sit down and eat when we feed her, but will wait until she is hungry. Often will scavenge the house for people food first, or even eat sticks outside before settling for the kibble. We even resort to adding something to the food to entice her to eat when she's overly hungry.
Indoors or Outdoors: Mostly inside with us, but she will use the dog door leading to fenced in yard during the day to hang out.
Amount of exercise: Walks each day and games in the house and backyard. This summer it's blowing soap bubbles for her to chase and jump and catch. Dog parks on weekends. She quit jogging with me for some reason.
How many pets do you have?: Three older cats that want nothing to do with her, which causes some tension.
Barking: Barks sometimes at people, especially with dogs, walking on the sidewalk next to our yard. Or at beach balls left in the neighbors yard. And barks a lot at night--I don't think she sees well in the dark or we have lots of nocturnal animals. We do not let her go out in the yard by herself anymore after dark or she will just sit and bark.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Age and Gender of your dog: 9 mos. old male
Other Dogs: Loves playing with all other dogs, big or small. I think he would play all day if I let him.
Loner or Social Butterfly: Social Butterfly all the way, plays with all equally!!
Aggression: If things get heated, he surrenders on his back. Big chicken:)
Unfamiliar People: Loves all people, will wag his tail and happily be petted by anyone.
Eating: Eats okay. I have to add something in his food to entice him. Lately, been adding a little Wellness Dog Topper to his Orijen and that's working out really well.
Silent or Noisy sleeper: Silent sleeper
Indoors or Outdoors: He is a 90% indoor dog-goes wherever we go
Amount of exercise: Jake gets a walk everyday and some off leash time, at least an hour (really not enough). Somedays he also goes to the dog park. We have a boat so he does swim in the lake which is great exercise for him.
How many pets do you have?: Just Jake
Barking: He barks if someone is at the door or if he's outside, he will bark at the neighbors or their dog and he also barks at things swaying in the wind. Trying to cure this phobia!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Age and Gender of your dog: 9 month old female

Other Dogs: Loves to be chased by them.

Loner or Social Butterfly: SOCIAL BUTTERFLY. Cannot get to all the dogs and people fast enough.

Aggression: Will only start barking at another dog if the dog won't engage in a game of chase with her. Chases often end with her on her back, tail between her legs.

Unfamiliar People: She could meet an axe murderer and beg to be petted by him or her

Eating: Eats to Live. She would rather eat paper products and underwear than $60 dog food.....

Silent or Noisy sleeper: silent except when settling in or jostled while asleep, then she groans

Indoors or Outdoors: 90% indoor dog- just wants to be wherever we are for the most part. Loves lying in the sun.

Amount of exercise: Hobie goes to Camp Bow Wow (doggie day camp) at least twice per week while we're at work. On opposite weekdays she goes for a nice walk or to the dog park for about an hour in the evenings. Weekends she goes to the dog park, sometimes twice a day.

How many pets do you have?: Just Hobie - "for now"......

Barking: Will bark at the elderly neighbor through the window in the morning when she's gardening, will occassionally bark at people walking up the street. Will also bark at the broom. Other than that pretty quiet.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Mercutio said:
Great idea Kailua. Interesting to see no-one's dog likes their head being patted...
Mine would be an exception. She takes to patting on the head like a good drug. She loves it. She can't be touched enough.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Age and Gender of your dog: 1 year old this month male

Other Dogs: Loves smaller dogs takes longer to warm up to larger dogs

Loner or Social Butterfly: social butterfly

Aggression: none

Unfamiliar People: He loves people, but will shy away if they come to him.
If he makes the decision to go to them he is fine with their attention.

Eating: Eats to Live. Loves bully sticks, tendons.

Silent or Noisy sleeper: silent most of the time, does snore once a while

Indoors or Outdoors: indoor dog- will only go outside to do his business unless we are outside.
Loves the outdoors but loves people more.

Amount of exercise: Runs with my husband, walks with me. Just stared going to a dog park.

How many pets do you have?: Chihuahua, Jack Russel terrier and the vizsla.

Barking: really only barks at the other dogs when they do not want to play.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Age and Gender of your dog: 1 year old female
Other Dogs: loves to chase or be chased to the point where she would wear out all the dog in the park. interested in anything that moves little faster than normal. Lulu loves her V friend Paysley. for some reason likes small dogs with short legs. she likes to jump all over them. also when she chases, she would try to pull other dogs ears while running.
Loner or Social Butterfly: she is very social, especially with dogs that like to run.
Aggression: not really?
Unfamiliar People: i take lulu to work every day. she rides bus with me, walks downtown and at work sleeps under my desk. we have had only problem with ups guy so far. i think it is something she smells on his hands. she wouldnt stop barking at him, but same time she wiggles her tail and shows the game scenarios that she does with dogs. very funny to watch.
Eating: terrible, picky, would eat her food only when absolutely nothing else around. that includes sticks, grass, flyes and spiders.
Indoors or Outdoors: both, but obviously outdoors counts more. loves hikes in the woods. absolutely loves swimming in the creek by the house.
Amount of exercise: daily trips to work with me, ball field or creek fun in the evenings. has doggy doors to get out to the side yard where she hangs out with my neighbors three little dogs. Dog park and hikes on weekends.
How many pets do you have?: just lulu
Barking: would bark on ups guy, barks when doorbell rings.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
595 Posts
Age and Gender of your dog: 5 and a half months, female

Other Dogs: Loooooooves other dogs. She will not give up trying to get other dogs to play back.

Loner or Social Butterfly: Social butterfly. She doesn't stop.

Aggression: None

Unfamiliar People: Loves people. Especially the ones with really high voices speaking in baby talk. If there is no squeaky high baby talk involved, she gets bored of you and goes to find a dog to play with.

Eating: Could probably eat until she threw up, if I let her.

Silent or Noisy sleeper: Mostly silent. Sometimes she'll whine or moan a little in her sleep. What I see more often is her running in her sleep or her tail wagging. I always wonder what she's dreaming about.

Indoors or Outdoors: She's 50/50. Likes both

Amount of exercise: 2-3 times a day, with some free time to run off leash. She's starting to get fast!

How many pets do you have?: Just her, lucky girl.

Barking: Will only bark if she's trying to get you to play with her. She'll crouch down really low at the front, her butt high up in the air wiggling. She'll bark twice, then try to pounce you. I should probably work on this as it's the equivalent of jumping on people...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow!!! Thanks to all that have replied so far. It's really fascinating to find commonalities and differences among this breed. Anyone else wants to share? ???

·
Registered
47 Posts
Age and Gender of your dog: 5 and a half months, Male, Charlie

Other Dogs: Great with other dogs, goes to them and is very submissive and tail always wagging.

Loner or Social Butterfly: Social butterfly. However, if the other dog is not interested in playing she will leave it alone.

Aggression: None

Unfamiliar People: Great with others. We live in an apartment building and when we play outside and she sees someone she knows (or even doesn't), she will run up to them, get a few pats just to say hi, then run back to me and continue playing.

Eating: He eats when he needs to. He isn't skin and bones though, so we don't mind.

Silent or Noisy sleeper: Mostly silent. When he dreams it is very cute though.

Indoors or Outdoors: Indoor dog, but loves going outside and will let us know when he wants to go.

Amount of exercise: 2-3 1/2 hr walks a day, and we usually play with him outside on the grass retrieving or playing with other dogs in the building for an hour or so.

How many pets do you have?: Just him.

Barking: He does bark a fair bit more than I expected, however I believe he only barks when he wants to tell me something, like "throw the gd ball you dummy, quit faking it", or "would you get off your butt and take me outside already". ;D

EDIT: Some of his favourite things: Getting Vacuumed, drinking water from the tub, water cooler- anything but his dish, loves getting bathed, and talks back to us- sometimes it is hard to discipline him when you start laughing really hard!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Age and Gender of your dog:[/color] 1 year old female
Other Dogs[/color]: Very comfortable around other dogs. Socially skilled. Will share toys and respect another dog's claimed toy, even if it's hers
Loner or Social Butterfly:
[/color] Prefers to play with others.
Aggression:[/color] Only shows defensive or fearful aggression toward unfamiliar people, rarely or never toward dogs.
Unfamiliar People[/color]: Unpredictable, if the person speaks sweetly to her and tries to pat her she is usually fine with it; if they are tense or hard to read, she can unpredictably go into a panic of barking, sometimes seeming aggressive
Eating:[/color] Picky eater with dog food. Eats too much human scraps and snacks. Is fat.
Silent or Noisy sleeper:[/color] At times, snores and talks (sometimes cries out) in her sleep. If I hear her cry out, I try to soothe her assuming it's a bad dream.
Indoors or Outdoors:[/color] Indoors whenever we are, but spends several hours per day outside between walks and daycare.
Amount of exercise:[/color] Several miles per day of walks, plus several hours off leash at daycare.
How many pets do you have?[/color]: Just her.
Barking:[/color] Barks and snarls at the TV at times. Doorbell plus noises outside.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts