Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a first time Vizsla owner with an 11 month old puppy. I got her in January but as a small puppy I wouldn't let her stay outside during the cold weather for very long. I have owned dogs all my life but never a dog with such strict exercise requirements or short coat. I live in Atlanta, GA so our winters for the most part are very mild. I want to keep her exercise routine the same but don't want her to freeze. My other dog, a 5 year old cocker spaniel, LOVES cold weather and playing in the snow if we get any. Will my Vizsla enjoy the snow? Should I get her some boots to wear or a coat? Being a good ole southern boy my boyfriend is clearly opposed to dressing dogs but she is my baby and I want her to be warm and comfortable.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi - We get some REALLY cold days here (Ontario, Canada). I think there was only a couple of days we didn't really go out last year - mainly cause it was snowing and blowing too much and I couldn't see anything.

I do have a jacket (http://www.chillydogs.ca/ ) for my Vizsla and he lets me know when it's time to wear it, i.e. if he puts the brakes on at the door that means "I'm cold, put my Chilly Dog on!" and then he's good to go.

Re: Boots - I did get him some and I found them "ok" - I use them when we go walking on the road to protect his feet from the salt but I prefer the cream stuff for going out to play in the snow as the snow chunks were getting caught in the cuff of the boots - Pretty sure you won't have that problem :)

Hope that helps!
Carol

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much. I will probably get her a jacket for our hikes in the mountains and maybe some boots-just to make my boyfriend roll his eyes lol.

·
Registered
842 Posts
If the dog is moving he/she will be fine down to about 15 degrees F. If they are standing or sitting still, I would be concerned under 40 degrees. I had Copper out on the river this past weekend. It was low 50s and raining hard. He was fine when he was moving. When the rain came down and the wind picked up and he was sitting, he got cold. He still went swimming and had fun! :)

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
littlebit

Firstly your new baby does not have a short coat. She has only one coat, and as such she has no undercoat to trap heat next to her body, as the cocker does. It's an important distinction.

I'm certain your Vizsla will love the snow. Mine do, and all the ones I had before them loved snow also. Snow is no big deal to a Vizsla. They are quite adept and agile in the snow, as your cocker will soon find out. ;)
If she is left to just sit outside in the snow, yes she will get cold. If she's moving around and playing and hunting, she'll be fine. Each dog is a little different with respect to it's tolerance to cold. just as humans are.
What will give her problems is combing any of these conditions Cold, Windy, Wet. Individually they are not a big deal. Put them together, and her lack of an undercoat can quickly compromise her.

There is nothing wrong with having a coat or vest for her, and additionally an old towel. She may not need them while she's horsing about, but having them with you while she's romping about in the cold and wet is a very prudent measure. I live in Connecticut
and carry them with me if the dogs are in the woods. I don't leave my dogs unattended outside at any time, so it's not a concern at home.
If "your good 'ol boy" has problem with "dressing her up". Get some Camo gear from Cabela's. Hunt vests, Neoprene Vests, etc. Tell him it's tactical gear for dogs. ;)

·
Registered
809 Posts
Yes, camo is always cool.
But if you want your V to look bad a$$ then get one of these.
This is how Kian travels the streets of Toronto on very cold days, if he's not wearing his Chillydogs jacket. ;)

;D

·
Registered
794 Posts
That sweater on Kian is great 8)!! My 6 y/o son is going to be a "skeleton ninja" for Halloween. He's super fascinated with skulls, mummies, Egyptian hx etc. He would get a kick, and I would too, because it would be a funny mock on Pumpkin's character! A hoot! Where did you get (I'm in the states)? I'm hopeful online???

·
Registered
595 Posts
Gunnr said:
Tell him it's tactical gear for dogs. ;)
hahahaha
If we had a male, the word tactical is probably the only word that would get me to buy him a coat. ;D
Since we have a "daddies little girl" instead, I ordered her a sweater and jacket last fall before the cold hit so she'd be nice and warm when it did...

I've never been to Georgia but Tennessee is just north and I know they can get temps below freezing occasionally. I'm sure you'll get good use out of a sweater or jacket, especially up in the mountains.

You can get a very good indication of their body temp by touching their ears.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Kian rocks the sweater! 8)

Sophie occasionally wears this warm trench coat: https://teckelklub.com/products/the-trench She only wears it when it's snowing outside and doesn't mind it at all. She doesn't like anything wet falling on her: rain, shower, snow, water sprinklers. However, rain or snow doesn't prevent us from our daily walks in the woods. MA winters can get cold, but it is dry cold and therefore not too bad. I'm originally from Latvia (tiny country in NE Europe), and winters there can be very, very cold and humid...so, maybe my "thermometer" for MA winters is a bit off :D I imagine Georgia winters would seem really warm for me and I most likely wouldn't use a coat for my Vizsla there at all.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have to second or third the coats from http://chillydogs.ca/ we have both the Great White North and Chilly Sweater and love them both! We use those regularly and when we do something a little more active we use the Ruffwear Cloud Chaser. These coats got use through Massachusetts winters and now that we live in Colorado I am sure they will work here too!

I also agree with everyone who said as long as they are running around they are good down to about 35-40 degrees. Below that Darwin wants his coat on!

We also swear by Musher's Secret for his paws! The stuff is amazing and is so much easier to use than boots!

·
Registered
48 Posts
mlenzen said:
I have 2 Vizslas that wear jackets that I got from Lands End for about $25. They love being out in the cold and these jackets have served us well.

http://www.landsend.com/pp/PetSquallJacket~227863_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::IGC&CM_MERCH=IDX_ForTheHome-_-JustforDogs&origin=index
What size jacket does your dog wear? I can't find where the sizing chart is on their site. I am guessing a medium, but wondering what you have purchased. Looks great, thanks!

·
Registered
842 Posts

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Anyone concerned male Vs may freeze their nuts? These dogs are very short haired, especially the younger ones don't have a full coat yet.
Stupid question? :eek:
Winters are pretty cold and long.
I found this picture on the net last summer and just had to save it...

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
Fun link! I imagine with the wet snow we get in west Michigan those trips out should be even shorter, even though our temps seldom dip below the 20s.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts