Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

What do you do when you go on holiday without your V?

10K views 34 replies 26 participants last post by  Veebers 
#1 ·
Hi

I just thought I'd start a post about what people do when they go on holiday without their V.

We plan to do most of our holidays with Baxter, we go camping in the summer. But we will be going to Spain in August next year to see my Mum and won't be able to take him. We have friends and family that have offered to have him depending on how the training goes and if he is well behaved.

I also have a friend that suggests we try a kennel but I'm not keen because I know V's don't do well with kennels but her dog loves going there.

What do you guys do?

#2 ·
We don't go abroad as my husband can't cope with the heat, to long a story to go into. As we only go on holidays in the UK it is not a problem for us to take Bella with us.
I could understand why Vizsla's don't like the kennels, they love their own family to much :)

I am sure some of the other people on here have been in tis situation before and will be able to answer that for you.

Sorry I couldn't help :)

#3 ·
Mine go to their trainer. They already know and like him. They get a little brush up on training, and get exercise in the fields.
June is in heat and spent last weekend with him. To many male dogs on last weekends hunt for her to go.

#5 ·
Dozer stayed with a friend...or my mom came down once... But now that we have two and the friend now has three that totals 5 so I'm afraid to ask. I'm just hoping my boyf doesn't ask me to travel anywhere. I did it for 27 years and over it. But he never started until going with me so he's all about it. I think we need an RV...

#7 ·
we nearly always go away in our caravan and Ruby comes with us. On the one occasion since we've had her and taken the kids to Center Parcs, Ruby went to stop with our friend that has 3 wire haired V's and a GWP ;)

#8 ·
My Bella goes in kennels, I wouldn't say she loves it but she doesn't need dragged back in when she goes back, and she greets the owner like she is her long lost friend.
I rang the kennels when she was a pup and asked the best age to introduce her to the kennels and how etc. She said about 8 months old, so we took her up for just one night as a litle trial run. She was ok, so the next month we were at a wedding so we took her again. Then she stayed a weekend and then for 2 weeks while we were abroad.
Obviously I would prefer her not to be there, but I promised my husband when we got a dog we would not stop going away. We only have one main holiday a year, and a couple of weekends, so she isn't in there too much or too long.
Now we have the pup so we will do the same again, I will ring them up and ask their advice etc and hopefully they will kennel the 2 dogs together so they will be company for each other.
My parents have had Bella a few times for a couple of odd days and nights, but my mum isn't in the best of health so I don't like to rely on them. The way I see it I wouldn't want to think my parents couldn't watch Bella and she was say 6 years old and never been in a kennel and suddenly she may have to go.
I keep up Bella with a visit to the kennels approx twice a year, so she knows them and knows we always come back for her. Even though I know she would prefer to be with us, she does go in there with her tail wagging so it can't be that bad right?
I would research kennels in your area, and ask all local dog owners you meet where they kennel their dogs. There are lots of good kennels about, also there are dog sitters about too who will watch your dog in their home so you may want to find out about that.

#9 ·
WillowyndRanch said:
Holiday? What's "on holiday?" ???
Ken, it's the British English phrase for on vacation. Funny how we still need to translate within the same language sometimes. :D

I was also thinking about the topic in this thread today, but regarding raw diets. Do those that feed raw diets switch to kibble when boarding dogs or do you make special arrangements? Just curious.

#10 ·
I feed a raw diet and I box enough raw food up in a cold store for how ever long we are going to be away and take it with them, and then my friend puts it in her deep freeze - no problem at all.

Previously our Dane has gone to a friend of mine who lives about an hour away. She has dogs at her home to earn money. They live in the house with her, usually in a huge flag stoned conservatory. During the day they walked on the fam adjoining her property and then wonder (if they do not wonder off the property) around her fields and stables when she is out and about with her horses. Fergus always comes back shattered, as he leads a much quieter life at home but at least I know he is with someone and not locked in a kennel.

Now he is 7yr old and we have the 10month old pup I was thinking I would rather them stay at home. So I am thinking of getting a house sitter for our next vacation. Some of my friends have daughters who have now finished University and can't get jobs so earn money by dog and horse sitting. So I am going to look into this. I wouldn't be keen on a stranger living in my house but both of the girls I am thinking of, I have known since they were babies.

#12 ·
We get a friend or family member to stay at our house. Usually this person will exercise Miles in the morning, and then I will get another friend to exercise Miles at lunch and evening then return him back home. Miles seems to like this arrangement, it gives him the comforts of being home while we are away but we know he also likes seeing his friends. We also like the idea of a housesitter because we know our home is being looked after as well, and we don't have to worry about Miles getting into trouble in anyone else's house.

#13 ·
WillowyndRanch said:
You know its when people drop dogs off with you, and then talk about the cool things they did when they pick them up. ;D My trainer has been saying he is going on a vacation NEXT year for the last 3 years.

#14 ·
We went on a short 3 day trip to Niagara Falls and left Milo with my father and brother and explained to them that he needs daily exercise OR ELSE. Well that obviously didn't happen because when we got home Milo had eaten a hole threw the couch. I merely said "oh well, you were warned".

#15 ·
Where we go, Gracie goes. 8)

If she ever needed to stay overnight with someone else, at her breeder with her Mummy & Auntie would be our clear first choice.

We hosted one of her sisters for a weekend when they were younger and had an absolute ball...so staying with another V family can be another good option. We'd take any of the Massachusetts Vs for a vacation in a heartbeat (and would even be reasonably unlikely to reciprocate!).

#17 ·
We take the dogs on any and all trips we can. But, when we can't, we pay our amazing dog walker/sitter to stay at our house. He lives in our town and so comes and goes throughout the day feeding them and walking/playing with them etc. He feeds them dinner, goes and has dinner at his own home, and then he comes back at bed time to sleep at our house. It works out well for everyone. We like knowing that even though we're not there, the dogs are still comfortable in their own home so they can maintain consistency and routine.

#19 ·
Our pups would stay with their "grandparents" (my parents) if we ever went on vacation without them. We've only been on 2 vacations since we got Riley and she's come on both of them. The 1st vacation was planned specifically as a sibling reunion for her and we stayed at a pet-friendly hotel. The 2nd we paid extra $$$ to get a shared cabin in Tahoe that allowed dogs. ::)

We haven't been on an official vacation since we picked up Cooper. I think our next trip will probably be to Colorado or the snow... with the pups, of course! ;D

#20 ·
Without them...it wouldn't be a holiday...only work :(

I just avoid going to places where they are not allowed.

Currently have the van parked on a beach down the coast. Pups are sleeping after a big morning walk and swim at the beach. This afternoon a walk out through the marshland. Lots of bird life to keep their senses on high alert :) Then later today, heading up into the mountains to chase some more Deer. Now that's a Holiday :)

#21 ·
TexasRed said:
WillowyndRanch said:
You know its when people drop dogs off with you, and then talk about the cool things they did when they pick them up. ;D My trainer has been saying he is going on a vacation NEXT year for the last 3 years.
EXACTLY! Thanks everyone across the pond, even a slow mind like mine understood what it was, just never get to experience one!

#22 ·
We leave our girls with a friend who has two kids. A few weeks ago, we went on a vacation for a week leaving our little Pacsirta for the first time with them. (Sophie had stayed there a few times before) The kids were sooo happy they each got a pup! All the neighborhood kids stopped by to walk them, and everyone took turns to walk them and play with them ;D Of course, Sophie and Pacsi absolutely loved to be there! :)

#23 ·
We came back last week from our first vacation since we have our Vizsla. We live on an island where you can't really travel ( although we live on a place where other come for holiday ;D ) . Strictly import-export regulations for pets. So no chance to take the dog to the near-by countries.

We don't have family here and I don't let her with or at someone who is not used to a Vizsla.

Most Vizsla owners here are having big family and therefor quite busy. They have maids who take their dogs out and mostly take care of them. I don't want to let my dog there.

I have a friend who owns a Vizsla and I would leave my pup with her but her dog has a cracked bone and we can't let the dogs together.

So we found a nice boarding place. The guy who runs the daycare is a dog trainer. He came to our place and met our pup first to have a first impression. He is a really nice and friendly guy. He has a calm nature which I really like.
So we sent our pup for 3 evaluation days ( once a week ) and of course - she is non aggressive, well socialized and can play with other dogs. ;D

So we started then to send her ( approx 2 months before our holiday ) once a week to the daycare. The first two times she was a little bit tense but after that she felt comfortable there. When he comes with his Van to pick her up she is very excited and happy to see him and his wife. That's a good sign for me.

He takes the dogs to different places , they are outside every day and they get good exercise. Then he takes them home for a rest-time.
Sometimes he opens the van and I can see some dogs from the neighbourhood and so our dog always has a friend 'from da hood' :)

He has a facebook side where he uploads tons of pics with the dogs so you can see where he's going and what he's doing. He keeps us updated with pics and videos on our iphones.
He mostly has 5-9 dogs. He makes evaluation with every dog he takes care of and he is aware that they all come along together.
So we did a test night before we went to holiday and she did so well. She didn't whine or bark. He owns two dogs and she played with them and wasn't alone at night. :) She loves his old Golden Retriever :)

So we went away for 6 nights and I was too worried. He said, that I trained her well and that she is easy to take care of.... ( the only thing is that she pulls on the lead :eek: )

Over Christmas we'll fly for two weeks to Europe and she will stay with him and his family. I think my dog is in good hands. He is a not only a dog lover , he is also a trainer who can act and correct dogs when they behave inappropriate.

My aim was to have one place ( including staying with friends from time to time ) where she is familiar with and goes there from time to time. At the moment I can't send her because of her injury but in two weeks she'll go there once a week until holiday and after that maybe twice a months to keep her familiar.

I think she misses us but she knows every time she gets picked up that she'll come home again.

So I wouldn't say that all Vizslas are not suitable for a boarding place. It depends on the personality of you dog and about the quality of the boarding place.

Sure, best place is still home or family but it's not possible for everyone.

#24 ·
Thanks everyone, your replies are all very interesting.

I plan to use family and friends but also need to be realistic and understand that this may not always work and to not fully rely on the help from other people. What I worry about is that if we use family/friends to start with and then this isn't possible one time and we need to use a kennel then it will be a shock for Baxter. So really the advice of getting him used to one while he is young would be a good idea and is something we will consider. I will also looking into dog sitters/walkers in the area that offer holidays for dogs ;)

My 2 main concerns would be that Baxter might not get enough exercise and if when out on walks he is off lead and doesn't come back. Although whoever looks after him I will make sure they understand he needs a lot of exercise!

As a rule we will go camping but living in the UK we have had the last 2 years with rubbish weather so we are thinking about investing in a trailer tent and going to France and taking Baxter with us.

My Mum lives in Spain and my Father in Law lives in Florida so there will be times we visit them that we will have to leave Baxter at home :(

#25 ·
The kennel we use never let them off lead, but they walk them 3 times a day in a big field they have. I drive past that field often on my way to work and see them walking the dogs all day in there (so I know they do really walk them) Also they couldn't take the risk of the dogs taking off I suppose. I worried at first because Bella gets loads of off leash running etc, but then I thought well its a few days a few weeks at the most that she won't be getting that exercise...same as we don't always get as much exercise when we go away :).
The kennel I use was recommended and they offered me the chance to look around, and I made a few phonecalls before hand and voiced all my concerns, I have to say they were very helpful and patient! I wasn't just going to send my baby anywhere.
I wanted mine used to kennels while young for exactly the reason you say, you never know when you may have to put them in and don't want it to be a shock.

#26 ·
Usually, We send Ruby to boarding where she goes to doggie daycare. Works well since she is used to daycare and the only difference it she sleeps there at night.

We are out of town this weekend in New Orleans for my company's holiday party. We have "grandparents" at the house watching Ruby. I can't believe the list of items that i wrote up that they need to do for Ruby. Also, I planned a play date with her boyfirend Chase since the grandparents could not handle our crazy girl. Hoping Rubes is a good girl so we can do this more often.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.