Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our V, Pippa, is 16 (almost 17) weeks old. Dinner time has been challenging since we got her :eek:. We thought we had a great solution in that we would give her a bully stick while we ate in (relative) peace. If you saw my post from last night, she managed to eat a big chunk of bully stick last night and we are waiting to see if she will pass it. So.....that leaves dinnertime VERY CHALLENGING. (I want to try to avoid a KONG because the KONG is her special treat that she gets ONLY in her crate). Just wondering what other Vizsla owners do with their puppies/dogs so I can eat for 15 minutes?? Am I expecting too much??:)

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I don't have a puppy... Willie is 4-1/2 years old. But I HAVE had puppies in the past. This is when you need to work on teaching a great, all-purpose command: "Go lay down!" It will serve you well throughout the life of your dog. Say it firmly, but not loudly. Practice, practice, practice. She will get it eventually.

Even Willie sometimes forgets his manners and tries to beg beside the dinner table. But he knows -- "Go lay down!" and he does it. :) Pippa is not too young to learn.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I was thinking back on our puppy and now at 9 mos he lies down while we eat and is very calm and we probably started the training somewhere around 5 mos or so @ the table. I agree with mswhipple to work on training (I know you need a break, too!!) while you're at the table. You could alternate between crating and training while you eat so that you get to eat in peace, too. To start with, you could put a leash on Pippa and ask her to lie down and stay and treat her while she stays down and is calm. In the beginning, her "stay" isn't going to last very long, so don't expect much, but if she does lie down while you eat, praise like crazy (try calmly so she doesn't get too excited). With time, she'll want to lie calmly in anticipation of something good. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My in-laws had a dog that mooched all through dinner, and I hate it. When I got Brooklyn I swore I wouldn't let this happen! What I did from the beginning is have my husband walk her, or run/play her off leash right before dinner (for a puppy it doesn't take much to tire them out). Then at dinner time she is allowed to be in the kitchen on her bed. Usually she was so tired that she would just take a nap, and rarely needed me to correct her and place her back on her bed. Now at 16 weeks I find that whenever we sit at the table (even to play cards) she goes right to her bed and lays down.

Another thing I am doing is training her with the word "pillow" to mean go lay down in your bed. This is great when people come to my door, or when I take Brooklyn visiting. When I take the bed with me I have somewhere to send her to.

I discovered clicker training two weeks ago, and it seems to work amazingly with my V!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts