Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

What could Ruby be?

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  mswhipple 
#1 ·
Hello, I've been on this forum for a few weeks, and I just realized that I haven't posted about the reason I joined in the first place! We adopted our dog Ruby from a humane society down in Mina AR and they had no idea what she was mixed with. I think she is a Vizsla mix, but with what? All her manerisms match the "typical" Vizsla. And from what I can tell, her head and coat are a perfect match. The thing that's throwing me off are her legs and size. she's 13.5" at the shoulder, 28" long and 38lbs. What do you think?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
How old is Ruby? Any idea? Do you think she is still growing? Yes, a full side view with her standing (a stack) would be helpful She is really cute. I had to stand up and twist my head around quite a bit to get a good look at the second photo. ;D

#5 ·
Woops! ;D I didn't realize that pic posted upside down. here are a few more pictures. my camera is not currently operational so these are from a few weeks ago :) she is about 2 years old and I've had her for a little over a year. She's gained 10lbs since we adopted her, but I think that it was mostly muscle. I don't think that she is going to get any bigger. Thanks for any input!

Attachments

#6 ·
Ruby is fabulous! Do you know how or why she lost her back leg? Defintely Vizsla in that girl! I'm tempted to say V & dachshund. We have had a couple doxies, and the body cut (when in good shape) is similar to the V. The short legs of course; in addition, to the length. I'm looking at my girls now (a V & D), and the dachshund tail is also very thin like Ruby's (a bit thinner than an undocked V). Could be way off base of course. The doxie that comes from hunting lines is also lively, brave, & tough. Our Moxie can out swim & fish our V, & I'll go on a limb and say most dogs pound for pound. She sticks her whole head underwater, sometimes for 10 seconds, and can catch crayfish like nobody's business ;D Always a bit of terrier possibility. Anyway, just my very unprofessional/skilled opinion ;D Ruby is awesome!

#7 ·
I agree with kellygh -- Ruby could very well be a Vizsla/Dachshund cross. Both of these breeds do have that deep rib cage, which gives them room for plenty of lung capacity, and hence lots of energy and stamina! Yeah, Ruby is just a cutie-patooty!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.