Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I should have a Vizsla pup this coming December. My colleague has two which we often walk so familiar with breed. I still have four months so trying to do as much research as possible so that we are well prepared for the arrival of the pup..... I see there is a wealth of knowledge on the forum and looking forward to learning from it, are there any books you would recommend buying....? Vizsla savvy is one that keeps coming up when you Google the subject... thanks in advance..

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the forums! Are you ready to meet the love of your life? ;D

I like "The Vizsla" by Bernard C. Boggs, and also The Hungarian Vizsla" by Gay Gottlieb". Both are good, informative books. Now I bet you can't wait for December to hurry up and get here!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks... we are justing waiting on confirmation from the breeder that her bitch has been successfully mated....Roll on December we are all very excited. I was brought up with Labs and wanted something different. As mentioned, a good friend of mine has two HV's both cracking dogs and helped me make up my mind.... I did see those books you mentioned, I will look into them again

·
Registered
718 Posts
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your future Pup!

It may help us refer books if we have an idea of what you might wish to experience with your dog, i.e. focus in Field or Obedience or just general Vizsla History...?

Ken

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry I didn't make that clear.... It was puppy training and best practises and preparing for her arrival... she will be a family pet, thanks

·
Registered
718 Posts
Ian Dunbar has two free download books

Before you get your Puppy
After you get your Puppy

There are many good ideas and much good information in these. As with any book, read, interpret and decide what is best for you and your dog. For example, if I recall correctly he pushes for early spay/neuter. Many are coming to discover there are significant long term health, temperment and structural issues related to doing so. Though I don't agree with that portion of the book, there is much value in it. I guess I'm saying don't toss the baby with the bathwater. :)

Have Fun!
Ken

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
The best "book" I've read has been this forum. There is an amazing amount of knowledge on here from people who have Vizslas for all different reasons. The search tool can be quite useful! :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Totally agree with you, that's why I joined the forum ;) I have been reading many posts as well and certainly a wealth of knowledge/experience on the forum....thanks again......roll on December.... ;D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi all, just a quick update, it's been confirmed that the Mum is pregnant ;D.... we went out yesterday to see the Mum, great dog and very happy with her. The Granny was also there and also a great vizsla. I plan to see the sire later on this week as well.....

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Welcome aboard the forum Haggizbasher.....nice name I am in Scotland on holiday at the moment in Pitlochary doing my own haggis bashing...look forward to reading your future postings...

·
Administrator
4,204 Posts
Darcy1311 said:
Welcome aboard the forum Haggizbasher.....nice name I am in Scotland on holiday at the moment in Pitlochary doing my own haggis bashing...look forward to reading your future postings...
I'm possibly going up that area week after next to do some plastering and tiling (my day job) at Glen Lyon (the big house), totally agree with Hbasher, lovely part of the country. Not sure if I'll get chance for any fishing but I'll take my salmon rod just in case ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Haggizbasher don't know If you have Facebook but the there is a page called "vizsla Scotland" you might want to join the vizz whizz walk when you get your pup.. We're off to our first one on Sunday with the bairns and the dug it's gonna be braw lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi - can anyone tell me if a hip score of 7/7 is ok? This is the hip score on the breeders website. I've read that the breed mean score for the Hungarian Vizsla is 12. Going to see a breeder tomorrow to meet Vizslas for the first time, so excited and just hoping that my partner and son fall in love with them like I have. Also (sorry for all the questions) can we take turns about at taking a puppy to training classes, or does it have to be the same person? I think we all need to know how to give commands, not just me and so would rather that both my partner and I took turns (and we can teach our son who is 5).
Thanks! :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi All, quick update, the Mum was due last Wednesday but still no news....I text the breeder yesterday, she will let me know as soon as they are born.... Read a couple of books....so thinking I'm pretty clued up..... I know that's all going to change though...will keep you posted.....

1 - 20 of 41 Posts