Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
8,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bo is a 5 year old male, and this is his second time in rescue. Bo is a very high drive dog, and will not be content just hanging out at home. He needs a job, and a structured life.
In past homes he was given up due to being a escape artist, and having no recall. He is also said to be dog selective.
Bo has had to be in boarding, while awaiting a foster, or foster to adopt.
With me already having 4 Vizslas in the house, I can not foster him. What I could do, is break him out of boarding for the weekend. He went to a Vizsla fun day, at Houston Dive Dogs. We did know he loved to retrieve, but didn't know if he liked swimming. I can now tell you, Bo will do anything to retrieve his ball. We started on the ramp, and with a little encouragement Bo swam to retrieve it. He even started to give a small push (leap) from the ramp. While it was not pretty, he even went off the dock for his precious ball, and swims like a pro. When it was not his time to jump, he laid quietly in his crate.
His bio says he is a counter surfer, and pulls on lead. He has also been known, to not want to give up his ball.
I just worked with him a little yesterday, and he stopped pulling on his lead. I also only greeted him, and ignored the ball in his mouth. I sat on the edge of the coffee table, and ignored the ball if he dropped it a couple of feet from me. I would not play, who can get to the ball first.
I only acknowledge the ball, if it was dropped in my lap. Then he had to sit, before I would throw it. If there was no sit, I would not place my hand on the ball. He put everything together very quickly. Would run retrieve his ball, place it in my lap, and sit. I think part of his dog selective problem, is the value he places on his ball. I'm pretty certain he could be trained to honor another dogs retrieve. But running around playing ball with other dogs, it's probably not in his future.
I think Bo would do well in a experienced home, that looking for a dog for scent training, or dock diving. He needs to use his love of the ball, as a reward for working.
Bo is the Magnolia Texas area. Which is about 20 to 30 minutes north of Houston. FB_IMG_1570314945262.jpg

FB_IMG_1570314913183.jpg

·
Administrator
8,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should have added he is potty, and crate trained.
I have had tons of dogs in my house, and he never attempted to mark anything.
He is neutered, and up to date on all vaccinations.

·
Administrator
8,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TR you are awesome and have a heart the size of Texas!!
He's a good dog, and deserves to find the right home THIS time.

·
Administrator
8,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
884 Posts
looks like you guys had a blast on my favorite dock. will spread the world about Bo, i am sure the right hoomen will find him.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts