Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ten week old vizsla boy and having done some puppy research, and general vizsla reading, felt I was ready for the challenge. This is my first post and although I’ve only had him two weeks, (but feels like so much longer) thought I’d share my experience so far.
All started out fine, typical puppy stuff as described in the books, but then suddenly my loveable little puppy turned into the dog from ****!
While playing in the garden he began barking, snarling, and biting my arms and legs, sinking his teeth into whatever flesh he could reach. Trying to push him off was difficult, as he was very focused. Picking him up was equally hard, as his head would swivel around looking to get those arms again.
After a few days of this I was beginning to despair, felt this isn’t for me, and there might be something wrong with this dog. I was very relieved to find this forum and read that other have had these problems and that it is normal vizsla behaviour.
Like others, I had noticed the change came when he was tired, so now at the first sign of biting, snarling or attack growling, I take him inside and he usually falls asleep on my lap. We are getting into a routine where he gets up has breakfast, then quickly has another sleep. This continues all day and the time spent in the garden isn’t as long as when I first got him. We vary the activities during breaks like fetch games, puzzle games, walking round the large garden exploring, out for a walk on the lead, training exercises. This variety seems to be working and keeping a close eye on his mood.
At night I started off having his crate in my bedroom and in the kitchen during the day. Yesterday he slept in the kitchen, although I was up every hour checking to see that he was okay. Slept from 10.30pm to 7.45am, which is the best so far. I think any movement I made when he was in the bedroom disturbed him, the kitchen being quieter, gave him a better sleep.
He’s also making progress on things like waiting on the mat while I prepare his food. He gets impatient, but goes back on easily until food is ready. He can sit and gets a treat, and for come, he mostly does, but sometimes just looks blankly before coming over. Today was really good, as when I say come I also whistle, and the garden being large on a hillside covered with trees and shrubs he can’t really see me, but when I whistle he has found me every time. He is starting to be fun.
Having said that he still manages to draw blood now and again if I’m lulled into a false sense of happiness when he’s playing, just to remind me he still has very sharp teeth.
It has been suggested on here that the crazy will last till he’s about six months, but I feel better prepared now having read the experiences and tips that others have shared here, thanks. I’m counting the days. 😊

·
Registered
131 Posts
Off to a great start. I found these forums after about 3 weeks of wondering to myself as to why I brought home a cute torture device! Ellie started treating us less like chew toys close to the 5 month mark. Nearly 8mos now and its hard to believe we ever had a serious conversation about returning her in the early days. Hang in there and come here anytime you have doubts!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Off to a great start. I found these forums after about 3 weeks of wondering to myself as to why I brought home a cute torture device! Ellie started treating us less like chew toys close to the 5 month mark. Nearly 8mos now and its hard to believe we ever had a serious conversation about returning her in the early days. Hang in there and come here anytime you have doubts!
Thanks, each day there’s something new that’s positive and I think as long as i am ready for the sudden change of mood, then we keep moving forward.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a ten week old vizsla boy and having done some puppy research, and general vizsla reading, felt I was ready for the challenge. This is my first post and although I’ve only had him two weeks, (but feels like so much longer) thought I’d share my experience so far.
All started out fine, typical puppy stuff as described in the books, but then suddenly my loveable little puppy turned into the dog from ****!
While playing in the garden he began barking, snarling, and biting my arms and legs, sinking his teeth into whatever flesh he could reach. Trying to push him off was difficult, as he was very focused. Picking him up was equally hard, as his head would swivel around looking to get those arms again.
After a few days of this I was beginning to despair, felt this isn’t for me, and there might be something wrong with this dog. I was very relieved to find this forum and read that other have had these problems and that it is normal vizsla behaviour.
Like others, I had noticed the change came when he was tired, so now at the first sign of biting, snarling or attack growling, I take him inside and he usually falls asleep on my lap. We are getting into a routine where he gets up has breakfast, then quickly has another sleep. This continues all day and the time spent in the garden isn’t as long as when I first got him. We vary the activities during breaks like fetch games, puzzle games, walking round the large garden exploring, out for a walk on the lead, training exercises. This variety seems to be working and keeping a close eye on his mood.
At night I started off having his crate in my bedroom and in the kitchen during the day. Yesterday he slept in the kitchen, although I was up every hour checking to see that he was okay. Slept from 10.30pm to 7.45am, which is the best so far. I think any movement I made when he was in the bedroom disturbed him, the kitchen being quieter, gave him a better sleep.
He’s also making progress on things like waiting on the mat while I prepare his food. He gets impatient, but goes back on easily until food is ready. He can sit and gets a treat, and for come, he mostly does, but sometimes just looks blankly before coming over. Today was really good, as when I say come I also whistle, and the garden being large on a hillside covered with trees and shrubs he can’t really see me, but when I whistle he has found me every time. He is starting to be fun.
Having said that he still manages to draw blood now and again if I’m lulled into a false sense of happiness when he’s playing, just to remind me he still has very sharp teeth.
It has been suggested on here that the crazy will last till he’s about six months, but I feel better prepared now having read the experiences and tips that others have shared here, thanks. I’m counting the days. 😊
Just a quick follow up on how it’s going or not going. There are still positives like Fergus now sleeps in his crate in the kitchen for 8/9 hours, which is great.
on the other side the biting sometimes seems out of control and I’m struggling at times. When he’s calm and puppy like it’s great, but more and more he just wants to bite me. When we were playing before after a while I could spot the signs and take him in before he started. Now we hardly have any play he just starts attacking me straight away.
Apart play, he gets walks, puzzle games, training throughout the day and lots of sleep. He resists sleep and he barks at me in the crate. At first I stared him down saying no, but seemed to be worse. Then in a calm moment I’d take him out but he’d just start the growling/biting over again. So the new approach, which worked is put him in the crate, don’t take him out at all. I sit beside the crate but don’t speak to him or look at him. In fact I’m doing it now as I write this, he calms very quickly and falls asleep, most of the time unless he is determined to resist.
The worst times are around tea time and evenings as I spend a lot of time trying to calm him. I’m probably not doing it right yet, maybe I just need to crate him more in the evenings to get him to settle.
My main concern is the attacks on me. I tried the holding him suggestion that someone made on here, but that was worse. I was involved in a wrestling match with him earlier in the garden, it was a disaster. He runs off then lunges at me snapping away. I managed to push him off on the last charge, pick him up and take him in. We sat down and he immediately fell asleep on my lap.
As he moves towards six months he is also getting bigger, and that concerns me a lot right now. I’m not convinced this is all very normal vizsla behaviour. I’m quite tired, he’s wearing me down, since I am on my own with him that probably doesn’t help.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Correct on crate training after short sessions of playing in the crate and closing for a few seconds then opening , at some point you graduate to sitting there not paying attention while they bark and whine until they calm down, then praise and open.

As for biting and jumping biting , 10-12 week old is very young and your best bet is redirection and tons of toys. Defend yourself with toys and redirection. Crate time out when tired , even better in a quiet part of the house for down time. I’m no pro but , Of course you may be the exception with a puppy that has some kind of behavioral issues but it’s probably too young to determine that based on the breed and how annoying of puppies they can be.

·
Registered
57 Posts
This was me at the beginning. I was exhausted, I read books and met other Vizsla owners before picking up my boy Reggie but I wasn’t fully prepared for the onslaught ! I’ll b honest and say I disliked him at times as the biting was out of control, I was black and blue and spent my time in wellies to protect my bitten ankles ! Like u I wondered if I had some sort of devil dog as my friend had his half brother but wasn’t experiencing half as much trauma. I even thought I could swap them during the night in the hope no one would notice 😂
Reggie is crate trained and this was my saviour in the early days, in he went when he was naughty. I tried all the tips and tricks but eventually he just stopped about 5/6 months. Things then became much easier, looking back consistency, and treat focused training eased me through. It was really hard work and with u being on ur own that’s hard but my vicious scrappy doo is now much easier and we have real fun together. The breed can b one of the most challenging no doubt but I can see real change in Reggie now he’s just over the year, he needed plenty exercise and stimulation but the hard work is paying dividends. You sound like a very conscientious owner so cut yourself some slack. Hope my experience helps u hang in there and focus on the fact better days r coming.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Correct on crate training after short sessions of playing in the crate and closing for a few seconds then opening , at some point you graduate to sitting there not paying attention while they bark and whine until they calm down, then praise and open.

As for biting and jumping biting , 10-12 week old is very young and your best bet is redirection and tons of toys. Defend yourself with toys and redirection. Crate time out when tired , even better in a quiet part of the house for down time. I’m no pro but , Of course you may be the exception with a puppy that has some kind of behavioral issues but it’s probably too young to determine that based on the breed and how annoying of puppies they can be.
Thanks for the reply. I was just really tired and when things seemed to be making progress, he just went so wild again. We are plodding along fine again, and I will keep things on course that seem to work.
Thanks again for the support.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This was me at the beginning. I was exhausted, I read books and met other Vizsla owners before picking up my boy Reggie but I wasn’t fully prepared for the onslaught ! I’ll b honest and say I disliked him at times as the biting was out of control, I was black and blue and spent my time in wellies to protect my bitten ankles ! Like u I wondered if I had some sort of devil dog as my friend had his half brother but wasn’t experiencing half as much trauma. I even thought I could swap them during the night in the hope no one would notice 😂
Reggie is crate trained and this was my saviour in the early days, in he went when he was naughty. I tried all the tips and tricks but eventually he just stopped about 5/6 months. Things then became much easier, looking back consistency, and treat focused training eased me through. It was really hard work and with u being on ur own that’s hard but my vicious scrappy doo is now much easier and we have real fun together. The breed can b one of the most challenging no doubt but I can see real change in Reggie now he’s just over the year, he needed plenty exercise and stimulation but the hard work is paying dividends. You sound like a very conscientious owner so cut yourself some slack. Hope my experience helps u hang in there and focus on the fact better days r coming.
Thanks for your re-assuring comments, I was really tired at the end of a bad session with Fergus and really drained. It is good to hear that this isn't just me and that I don't have what seems like the only devil dog here. 😊 I am persevering with him, yesterday his brother Brodie came to visit with a couple of other dogs. It was a very hot day, they went at each other like crazy. They had a few rests in between bouts, and it was really interesting watching them in action. Today, Fergus has been so tired and has mostly been a very pleasant dog. Another hot sunny day has helped tire him quickly too, so no craziness.
I know others have made comments on biting, they just didn't seem to be the same as my situation. Thanks again for sharing your experiences 👍, I'll keep going with stuff that works to get me through this tough period.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts