Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking at insurance for my vizsla, but I'm just not sure what one to choose as there are so many options. Does anyone in the UK have any suggestions that might help? The small print in a lot of them doesn't always make it clear what's covered and what's not, and maybe someone has had a good experience with one in particular. Also, many of the quotes seem to be amazingly expensive. Thanks

·
Registered
147 Posts
I was told by my vet three years ago to get a policy from any 'well known name' that was for 'Lifetime' cover (most comprehensive type of cover) for a minimum of £12,000 full cover that would reset every year back to the full £12,000 again.

1st year went with Legal & General £23.00 per month
2nd year went with another well known name for £21.97 per month (underwritten by L&G)

Will use comparethemarket again to choose again later this year.

Compare the Market - Compare Lifetime Pet Insurance Quotes

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was told by my vet three years ago to get a policy from any 'well known name' that was for 'Lifetime' cover (most comprehensive type of cover) for a minimum of £12,000 full cover that would reset every year back to the full £12,000 again.

1st year went with Legal & General £23.00 per month
2nd year went with another well known name for £21.97 per month (underwritten by L&G)

Will use comparethemarket again to choose again later this year.

Compare the Market - Compare Lifetime Pet Insurance Quotes

Hope this helps.
Hi Philip,

Thanks for the info. I have found it hard to decide, especially the bit about vet amounts, they all vary and I have no idea about possible long term vet costs of vizsla illnesses.

I think I used money supermarket, then gave up on that and did a google search. I found a couple that seemed reasonable to me, Direct Line lifetime premium cover has an £8000 per condition, no time limits, which seemed very good at £23.
I'll have a look at comparethemarket as well, thanks

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi Philip,

Thanks for the info. I have found it hard to decide, especially the bit about vet amounts, they all vary and I have no idea about possible long term vet costs of vizsla illnesses.

I think I used money supermarket, then gave up on that and did a google search. I found a couple that seemed reasonable to me, Direct Line lifetime premium cover has an £8000 per condition, no time limits, which seemed very good at £23.
Found this just now, examples of vet costs for different ailments Typical Treatment Costs For Pets - Vet Fees - Tesco Bank

·
Administrator
8,632 Posts
Hi Philip,

If the per condition is for the lifetime of the dog, in some cases I could see you going well above that amount.
Lucys bill was $11000, when she was in the ER.

June
If the vet had recommended we treat her Lymphoma. The cost would have been $8000-$12000 To try to put it into remission.
Because lymphoma cannot be cured, only put into remission. We would have the same cost to try to put it into remission a second time.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just looking at insurance for my vizsla, but I'm just not sure what one to choose as there are so many options. Does anyone in the UK have any suggestions that might help? The small print in a lot of them doesn't always make it clear what's covered and what's not, and maybe someone has had a good experience with one in particular. Also, many of the quotes seem to be amazingly expensive. Thanks

We went for: Lifetime Pet Cover | Award Winning Pet Insurance

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the per condition is for the lifetime of the dog, in some cases I could see you going well above that amount.
Lucys bill was $11000, when she was in the ER.

June
If the vet had recommended we treat her Lymphoma. The cost would have been $8000-$12000 To try to put it into remission.
Because lymphoma cannot be cured, only put into remission. We would have the same cost to try to put it into remission a second time.
Thanks for the input, sounds like you have had a particularly bad time of it, hope things are better now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts