Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have posted on this forum a few times before regarding the same issue my 4yr old Vizsla has with patchy dry skin and fur loss in some areas, I thought I had resolved the issue with help from this forum by adding salmon oil to her diet but now the issue is back and she seems to be irritated by it as she tries to scratch a lot.
If anybody can share their opinion or help to resolve this issue Iwould much appreciate it.

thank you
Brown Dog Leg Comfort Wood

· Registered
Ziva
122 Posts
Hvae you been to the vets? what did they say?
It could be eczema is what I am thinking, hence the coming and going.

Perhaps try a moisturising shampoo or similar (obviously dog specific) if it is just dry skin?

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hvae you been to the vets? what did they say?
It could be eczema is what I am thinking, hence the coming and going.

Perhaps try a moisturising shampoo or similar (obviously dog specific) if it is just dry skin?
Hi, thank you getting in contact , yes, I have taken her to the vets a few times regarding the issue but they tell me to give her allergy tablets which I do give her - is there a particular dog moisturiser that is good for this?

thank you

· Registered
92 Posts
My V seems to have similar issues. Doesn’t seem to bother him , but I see some dry patchy skin… not a lot but it’s there . I feel that it happens in summer …most likely from rolling in the grass while playing with other dogs. He also gets bumps on his skin from bug bites , so could be that too . I have seen that Benadryl does reduce the bumps on the skin … I can think of 2 moisturizers … I have started trying coconut oil , just applying it lightly in the area. It’s safe if they happen to lick it as well. Another one is Mushers secret , I use it in his paws in winter , but I think you can put a thin coat on the skin as well.

· Registered
83 Posts
My 11mo boy Samwise has dry skin, mostly on his back, that gives off dandruff. He doesn’t seem to wanna scratch it so I guess it’s not itchy and therefore no the same issue as yours. But that being said, have you tried shampooing regularly with a Benzoil Peroxide shampoo or salicylic acid shampoo? If there’s irritation of the follicles, maybe it will help. We started out with the latter and then switched to the former. After bathing with that, we rub baby oil onto his skin with our fingers and/or a brush. Helps lock in the moisture from the bath and gather up loose hairs and dry skin flakes. Don’t know if that’s relevant to whatever’s causing the itching but it’d prob help with the dryness.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My 11mo boy Samwise has dry skin, mostly on his back, that gives off dandruff. He doesn’t seem to wanna scratch it so I guess it’s not itchy and therefore no the same issue as yours. But that being said, have you tried shampooing regularly with a Benzoil Peroxide shampoo or salicylic acid shampoo? If there’s irritation of the follicles, maybe it will help. We started out with the latter and then switched to the former. After bathing with that, we rub baby oil onto his skin with our fingers and/or a brush. Helps lock in the moisture from the bath and gather up loose hairs and dry skin flakes. Don’t know if that’s relevant to whatever’s causing the itching but it’d prob help with the dryness.
Hi, thank you for responding to my post, yesterday I did buy some Benzoil Peroxide shampoo so I will try this today, hopefully this will help her as she is getting thin fur in a lot of places now- thank you

· Registered
83 Posts
I hope the shampoo helps. Keep us updated. It’s made a difference for us, tho he does still have a little dandruff.

People on here and elsewhere have said that raw diets help with skin issues, and that various kibbles may have stuff that a particular dog is sensitive to. So just in case, since Samwise turns his nose up at a bowl of just kibble anyway, I’ve started mixing in more fresh cooked meats (chicken, ground beef, tuna, etc.) and some fruits/veggies here and there (wasn’t expecting him to love minced bell pepper) and giving him occasional raw stuff (half a game hen, a chicken leg, liver, turkey neck, chicken feet).

· Registered
1,343 Posts
I hope the shampoo helps. Keep us updated. It’s made a difference for us, tho he does still have a little dandruff.

People on here and elsewhere have said that raw diets help with skin issues, and that various kibbles may have stuff that a particular dog is sensitive to. So just in case, since Samwise turns his nose up at a bowl of just kibble anyway, I’ve started mixing in more fresh cooked meats (chicken, ground beef, tuna, etc.) and some fruits/veggies here and there (wasn’t expecting him to love minced bell pepper) and giving him occasional raw stuff (half a game hen, a chicken leg, liver, turkey neck, chicken feet).
chicken is told to be a warming type of meat and in the summer mainly it can more likely lead to dry skin. in the summer I limit chicken to once a week (and even then only one meal) and some chicken feet. then as the cooler weather comes I increase and the rare days in South Texas when we have 50 and below there is more chicken added to our bowl. as for bell pepper I just found out this summer that my boys love it too, very funny.

· Administrator
9,481 Posts
You can also add a little coconut oil to warm water. Wisk it so it mixes well, and either use it as a rinse, or with a cloth wipe down the dry areas with it. I like doing that better for slightly dry areas. Plus the dogs don’t look, and feel oily.

Reactions: rsarvis
1 - 9 of 9 Posts