Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Oscar, 14 months, Vizsla
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

This is not exactly Vizsla related, not even dog related, however I hope someone may have gone through a similar issue an perhaps managed to solve it. I reached out to cat groups, however, I did not receive any constructive feedback - one that would take into consideration the wellbeing of all my pets, not just the cats and one that would not imply I get rid of one or the other (that is appalling).

Before bringing Oscar home, almost one year and a half ago, my partner has had two British Shorthair cats (they are mostly his cats, since they've only met me when they were 6 and 3). They are both mature cats now (female is 11 and male is 8). They are both very sweet, calm and generally have been very well behaved. The male has warmed up to Oscar and they frequently hang out together on the balcony, they sometimes play and other times sleep together.

However, the female hates him. I thought things were getting better, as she came on the couch when Oscar was also there during the past couple of months. But it seems that was a short-lived phase. She refuses again to be anywhere near Oscar and seems, overall, disgusted by him. Oscar is not chasing her and nowadays completely ignores her, so he is not bothering her in any way.

The issue is she has started once again to pee in my partner's shoes and now advanced to peeing on Oscar's things (very strange, she does not touch my things). I really have no clue what to do. We bought 2 huge covered litters for privacy (and we clean them daily), we bought several special boxes for cats that we placed around the house for their privacy, we have 2 tall stands where they can climb and don't feel bothered and we are buying only premium litter sand to encourage peeing in the litter box. The cat does not have UTI, as this was my primary concern.

The issue is that I cannot completely ban Oscar from the couch (and I don't want to, I like cuddling with him and it would not be fair. He is open to sharing any space, all food and all toys with both cats and anyone else. He even lets the cats have a bite of his food, if they show interest.). I think that would solve the issue. I think things are getting worse because Oscar has started sleeping on the bed when we are not in the bedroom. However, I thought that was sweet - all three of them sleeping together, but it seems not everyone thinks that is sweet.

She has also started being very mean to the male cat. Once again she is beating him up and does not let him near her. Perhaps this is a territorial issue, but even so, I cannot think of how I can completely separate them. I've had cats and dogs growing up and they were always best pals (hanging out together, getting into trouble together, playing etc.). This is very new.

Any ideas on how to improve her life? And my life? I cannot stand that smell anymore, it's driving me crazy.

PS: We also did try to give her more attention, as she is the oldest here and she was the first one. However, the more attention she gets, the meaner she becomes and less open to allowing Oscar and Cashmere share the furniture. The less attention she gets (or the more she is forced to share attention), the more she pees around the house...it just seems I'm doing something completely wrong.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a fifteen year old cat and an eight month old pup. Both females. I don't know if I have much advice for you other than to tell you what has worked for us. The cat has acted out in the past- when we went on a trip (pre-puppy) she would go outside of the litter box upon our return. Only for a day or two. What I consider a protest poo. She is doing amazingly well now, considering all of the changes she has gone through. No litter box mishaps and no acting out. As for coexisting with the new addition, the cat does have certain areas that are absolutely off limits for the dog. So she has a sanctuary and an escape if she needs. Interestingly, I have found that if I brush the cat and the dog with the same brush it goes a long way to foster tolerance. For example: the cat would hiss when puppy for within five feet, and now my V has to be almost on top of her before she reacts. So it's a process, but she's getting a lot more tolerant. I do not let the dog harass her, she gets a stern NO when she tries to get rambunctious around her. Or I err on the side of protecting the puss. She's elderly after all! I don't know if any of this helps in your situation, but I hope you find some answers!

·
Registered
Oscar, 14 months, Vizsla
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I never tried brushing them with the same brush, I will do that. I do suspect it's an issue of territory here. Aisha was used to being the leader of the two cats and would boss around the male. With Oscar she can no longer do that (or maybe she is too old and lost her touch). I suspect that the male was used being second when it came to sitting on furniture and getting attention, so sharing once again was fine with him - hence the male getting along well with Oscar.
Aisha and Oscar rarely interact, so I cannot correct Oscar, as his behavior is exemplary around her. I will try the brushing and see how it goes, perhaps a miracle will happen :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm no cat person but perhaps getting one of those cat towers covered in the carpeting would help her find a place she can own? Oscar wouldnt be able to go up it and probably won't care about it really, but the cat can claim it as her exclusive territory. Give attention on it, provide some attached toys to the top so they can't fall off basically making them hers. She can sit up there and be queen in her mind and perhaps no longer struggle to claim and mark what she is trying to make her "territory" by peeing all over.

·
Registered
Oscar, 14 months, Vizsla
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not a cat person either. I don't really get how they "work" 😅, but I do love all animals, and if they cross my path I try to give them the best I can. We have two of those tall towers, so that each cat can have their own. And many many spots where they can hide. One tower is in the living room, so they can be part of the group, without really mingling. She almost never uses any of them. The male loves to sit on top, but her, not so much. She no longer cares for playing either (she is almost 12 yo, after all).
I always use the time when Oscar is out with my partner to tend for them - brush them (they love it), pet them, hang out with them. I also try to separate Oscar from her on the couch (Aisha on one side and Oscar on the other and pet them both at the same time and praise them), if she chooses to come. She very rarely comes if Oscar is there, so I need to send him to bed before she comes to me.
I suspect that 1. there is really a territory issue and it concerns, us, humans. There is a problem with accessibility next to us. As anyone with Vizsla is aware, a Vizsla is always stuck to you like glue, so it's only after 10 pm that Oscar is not next to us, as he retreats for his beauty sleep. She wants to be the only one next to us, as she has been for the first 10 years of her life (Cashmere would not dare come next to us when she was there).
And 2. I suspect that it is not me she wants attention from. However, my partner is constantly crossed by her and is not helping much, so it's me she's stuck with.
I'll keep employing new tactics and until then, keeping all shoes suspended and arming myself with tons of odor removing spray, catnip and a strong stomach 😅.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I feel for you. This is why I don't own a cat lol. There are only two kinds of cats in my book... either amazingly awesome or completely the opposite. :)

Best of luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts