Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, we have been looking for a Hungarian viszla for some time now but as we were renovating needed to get the garden sorted ect. Then because of COVID we stopped looking thinking we couldn’t get one during lockdown

fast forward a few months with lockdown easing we have began our search again but they seem to be selling very very quick for a lot more than expected

just wondering on average how much would you expect to pay for a KC registered Viszla puppy? Looking at around £2500 is this normal or inflated prices that will drop eventually?

thanks

Jordan

·
Registered
93 Posts
We are getting a new pup in 5 weeks. $1500/2000 U.S. was pretty well the norm. But saw from $800- 3000.

·
Administrator
8,097 Posts
I'm sure some of our other members could tell you non covid prices.
I do know I saw quite a few complaints of prices being higher than normal, in the UK during covid.

Most reputable breeders, charge what they charge. Their price does not fluctuate by supply and demand.
They also normally have a waiting list.

·
Administrator
4,201 Posts
£2500 is very excessive, I'd be wanting at least 2 for that kind of money, Ruby was a rescue so that was a £100 donation to RSPCA, 9 years ago, Elvis comes from a highly reputable breeder in Yorkshire and cost £900 5 years ago

Reactions: PhilipL

·
Registered
95 Posts
Our friends have just bought Rafa's half brother Paddy, who is a Vizslador, father being a KC Vizsla and mother a Golden Labrador, this was about 2 months ago and he was £800

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-29 at 11.47.25.jpeg

·
Administrator
8,097 Posts
You have Vizsla breeders, that have been doing this for 20, 30, and 40 plus years. Competing with their dogs in different venues, doing health testing, and studying bloodlines before any breeding takes place. They know every dog in the pedigree for many generations.

I just can not wrap my head around, how a mixed breed dog would cost the same, or more in some cases, than one from a breeder like mentioned above.
These use to be called opps litters, as they were never bred intentionally. While they did produce some very nice pups (not always), the pups had a mix breed price. In the US, they would be $50-$100 or given away.

In the rescue world, we do charge 300-400 for them. But all vetting including spay / neuter is paid for by the rescue. Most of the dogs cost the rescue more, than the adoption fee.

Reactions: PhilipL

·
Registered
95 Posts
You have Vizsla breeders, that have been doing this for 20, 30, and 40 plus years. Competing with their dogs in different venues, doing health testing, and studying bloodlines before any breeding takes place. They know every dog in the pedigree for many generations.

I just can not wrap my head around, how a mixed breed dog would cost the same, or more in some cases, than one from a breeder like mentioned above.
These use to be called opps litters, as they were never bred intentionally. While they did produce some very nice pups (not always), the pups had a mix breed price. In the US, they would be $50-$100 or given away.

In the rescue world, we do charge 300-400 for them. But all vetting including spay / neuter is paid for by the rescue. Most of the dogs cost the rescue more, than the adoption fee.
I don't know how either! It seems the Vizsla male apparently got out and found the next door neighbour's female Labrador, the Lab owner not being a breeder asked for help from the Vizsla breeder for the resulting Vizslador puppies.

The price may be a Covid thing, as all dog prices seem to have gone mad in the UK in recent months and more worringly there have been a lot of dog/puppy thefts of all breeds too, including raids on kennels reported in the media.

The Vizslador puppy owner was apparently inundated with offers for the puppies, far more demand than supply.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Vizsladors are very popular where I am (Northwest Germany). I see plenty of them in the park. Maybe even more than the purebred vizslas. I’m sure they’re great dogs, but it does baffle me more than a little too. I’m sure there are people deliberately breeding them around here.

·
Administrator
8,097 Posts
Its happening in the US too.
Vizslas mixed with Labradors, GSPs, and Weimaraners. Or any breed mixed with a poodle.
A lot of the parents were sold on limited registration. So if bred to a purebred, the litters could not be registered with a legitimate registry.
But unscrupulous breeders found a way around that. They register them with a registry, that's not worth the paper it's printed on. Then they can sell mixed, or purebred puppies as being registered, and charge a heavy price.
It's buyer beware, and you better do tons of research.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts