Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I let Sam out, as I went after him and saw a wasp fly out from under a leaf, land on Sam's back leg area. Sam turned and suddenly the wasp disappeared in Sam's mouth.
He swallowed it and wouldn't let me touch his mouth.

Thinking the wasp may be alive and on it's way down the esophagus, I quickly gave him dry kibble and followed by cold wet kibble. The idea was to klobber the wasp with kibble. This happened without much thinking, I was just reacting to Sam's distress.

2 hours later Sam needs to pee, wants to pee on the carpet, refuses to use the back yard, doesn't eat grass or chew anything outside. I had to take him to the park, nearby.
I goggled this and found all kinds of answers: Some dogs died of shock, high fever and heart failure, others suffered nothing.

I suspect dogs swallow lots of insects and live. I hope :-\

·
Registered
794 Posts
This is why I ALWAYS keep benadryl on hand. I would have given Pumpkin a dose just to be safe. Hope Sam is just fine :)

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sam pulled through tue night with a slight fever. We applied a litte rubbing alcohol on his chest a couple of times.
Needless to say he had nightmares fighting giant wasps in his dream.
This morning the fever tapered off and only had to deal with the runs in the dreaded back yard.

I guess Benadryl would have avoided the fever, I'll buy some today, thank you.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Ohhh... Poor Sam! I hope he continues on with a swift recovery! I hate bugs. I hope the incident does not scar Sam psychologically.

Willie often swallows insects before I can stop him. It's always a worry! :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts