Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hungarian Vizsla Forums User Map (Calum will adding the map to the site soon!)

Provide this information if you'd like to be added to the map:

Dog(s) name, date of birth if you wish
City, State/Province, Country

Original Post
Hey everyone, I have an idea I would like to toss out for you guys:

Would there be any interest in some sort of online map that shows the locations of people on the forum (those who chose to participate)? I think it might help with meetups and such, especially for new users.

I've seen similar stuff done before, last time it was through Flickr. However there is no "perfect" solution out there.

Out of the sites I've tried, I think I like YourGMap.com the best so far. But it has it's disadvantages. Mainly, anyone who would want to be included would have to PM me the information to post on the map. It will not allow other users to edit the map. This information could be stuff like dog's names, birthday (if people wanted to meet up with others with younger/older dogs), a person's username, etc.

I was also thinking I could use one icon for dog owner's locations, a different icon for breeders, and other icons for anything else people would like to add.

Obviously the only information shared publicly would be whatever you specify. I can map user locations by city or full address, but would not display any address information unless someone specifically requested it.

So would anyone be interested in doing something like this? You can see what I have going so far here:
http://maps.yourgmap.com/v/s_1ce_Vizsla_Forum.html

Right now it's just Kobi's house and the breeder he came from

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The mapping seemed to work just fine with only a City/State, so there is definitely no need to include your full address if you don't want to!

I've added the link to the map to my signature, so you can find it wherever you find me ;D

·
Registered
324 Posts
That's a great idea. Maybe Calum could find a way to incorporate it into the forum! I know it can be done as I belong to an RV forum that shows everyones current location. (If they want to).

·
Registered
256 Posts
cool idea, look forward to seeing where all the vizsa's are from other than just the States and Canada. Hope it works out...

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We've got three so far! Send you're city, state/province, and country if you would like to be included!

And this map should work fine in the UK also if anyone over there is interested. It automatically zooms out to include everything I have mapped, so everyone is included!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Sounds like a great idea actually, if you wanted it could be a page on here (something like a link at the top next to the photo gallery?).

If you want it on the site then feel free to say, but sounds like a great idea - especially if users dont have to submit their full address and just a city.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Calum,

You're welcome to do whatever you like to it as far as linking. I think it can even be embedded, but that's up to you if you want to go through the work to do that. I'm fine with whatever.

EDIT: I just checked, if you choose to embed it it will give you HTML code to put it into an iFrame. You can choose the size of the frame I believe. Probably more work than it is worth though

Hopefully I'll find some other Vizslas near me sometime!

·
Registered
416 Posts
That sounds fine, shouldn't be that hard. Would you be happy to add people to the map or would you prefer it if we could find one that allows users to list themselves?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am fine with this one. The one I had seen before for another forum was done through Flickr, but that required everyone to register for a Flickr account. That's a bit of a hassle, in my opinion.

I'll send you the code and you can let me know if the frame sizing needs adjusted at all.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I've put Kobi's map in the top menu, you can access it there. Does everyone think that is ok? I think it is a great way to see Vizsla owners near you.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
I think it's a wonderful idea. Would love to meet other V's in my area.

Thanks to Kobi for the work and to Calum for incorporating it into the menu.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Awesome, just added four more users to the map! And having someone in Australia fixed the fact that it wasn't zooming out far enough to see our Seattle member!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The map is growing quickly! I counted 23 users on the map so far. We even have Hawaii and four total countries represented now!

Please remember if you want added to include your dog's name, city, state (if in US), and country. I'm putting the user names in the bubble when you click on the markers.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Awesome!

Dog = Darwin
Location = Belmont, MA, USA

As an aside, the page is not loading correctly in my browser. Running Firefox 3.6.13 on a Mac and this is what I see!

Attachments

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Keneomac, what is your screen resolution? I get the same problem if I make my browser window half the screen, but not when it's full screen. I'm guessing the map does not shrink with the browser window.

It happens in Chrome, also. Not a problem for me if the browser is full screen. Can you make your browser window any bigger or is it already full screen?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts