Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the vet(or at least the young one in our office) thinks that Dharma is too skinny. She is the runt of the litter and has always been 3 to 4 pounds lighter than her brothers and sisters. When we got her at 7 to 8 weeks old she was 7 pounds and a few odd ounces. I think she then weighed in at 6.1 kilograms(not sure in pounds any more). The next weight was 9.1 kilograms and the one after that was 11.1 kilograms. Today I took her to be weighed at the vet and she weighs in at 32and a 1/2 pounds. She looks like she is putting on some muscle everywhere else but you can still sometimes see her ribs a little more than I would like. I am trying to get her to eat more and it seems we have finally gotten the digestive upset under control.

·
Registered
396 Posts
How old is your puppy now? I keep track of Marcus' weight, so I could look it up anytime. We got Marcus when he was only 3.6 kg (he was the smallest puppy in the litter). In one month he weighted 7.4 kg. Now, at his nine months, he is a standard size male Vizsla.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I just noticed you said she is now 6-month old. Marcus was 40 pounds at this age. Females are usually a bit smaller, so she should be fine. It is Ok' to see Vizslas' ribs when they are running/ moving.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My boy was about 30 lbs at 6 months... There are some really big V's on here but there are also some smaller ones... Zeke is now 14 months and still only weighs 42 lbs... I freaked out a while back thinking I had malnourished him but then I got some great advice... Research mom and dad... Dad is 50lbs and mom only 40... He's super healthy and still gaining a little weight... Do some homework and see about genetics before you allow yourself to get too worried!!!

Oh yea... Some are just really gangly adolescents...

And check out some of the supplementing posts in dieting! A ton of really smart people who know the breed and know how to put good healthy weight on them!!!

·
Administrator
4,216 Posts
My Ruby nearly always looked like she was on the thin side as she was growing, after about 6 months when her height growth slowed down she started to fill out. She's about 48lbs now and imo looks superb.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree with ZekeSnow. Research the parents and I would say look at your dogs condition without thinking about their weight. If they look healthy then they probably are!

I say this because it seems to me that there are some big deviations in their weight while they are growing up. For instance, August was over 42 pounds before he hit 6 months and at that time he looked a touch on the scrawny side.

If your dog is healthy and you are happy with his condition, then he is fine. You say that his digestive problems are sorted and you are looking to increase his food intake so I am sure he will pick up the weight in no time :)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Everyone told us our Sadie was very thin when she was 15 months or younger. Except the vet who told us that this breed stays thin until they are about 2 and then they fill out into their adult size.

Which is absolutely true! She is now 2 1/2 and looks fantastic. She has a normal Vizsla body - still thin - but very healthy looking.

32 pounds at 6 months sounds about right to me - but it depends on the height of course. If you are worried, just add a little more food into your dogs diet. Plus an extra treat here or there.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Seems ok to me. Chase is 38lbs and I think he and Dharma are the same age. Our breeder says at 6 months they are roughly 80% of their weight so she would be about 40 lbs which is in normal limits for a female.

·
Administrator
8,183 Posts
You can't just go by weight, you have to go by how the dog is filled out. Seeing a little rib is good. If you stand over the dog and look down, you should see some narrowing at the waist. The spine should not be prominent, and the hip bones should have some cover.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Big Rud the nail driver Real Red and many reasons why :) a tad over 72 of lbs of Very lean fast muscle Mass ;D

Just turned 4 and always fight or show ready ;)'

Muscle out weighs fatties 2 or 3 to 1 some fun ;)

Baby Willow Jack Daniels blood age pressing 11 months a little Red Pocket Rocket Cutter about 32lbs'

She may be a feature Da' Little people and there mates soon ::)

Me 255 :-* and growing Pecelicious ;D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Roothee the V is 14 months now - approx. 38lbs. Runt female. She has tiny frame structure - so stinkin' cute. A bit ribby right now - she's been working hard too.

Very healthy - great digestive system - she gets carrots, celery, yogurt, and a little pumpkin each week in addition to dry kibble.

And, the occasional cheese, and treats. I've been trying to get a little more weight on her but she just doesn't seem to gain weight easily (wish I had the same issues!).

Vet thinks she looks great as do I. Just want a few more pounds on her for colder weather - but not worried about it at all.

Whatever that's worth - that's what I got. Seems to me, you're doing just fine - but that's only from the 'arm chair'.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I usually don't have time to grab a snap shot of the "Dharmanator". She is definitely eating more. She is getting gangly in the legs though and is harder for me to pick up and put on our bed. She may also have just recently settled her digestive upset issues with her kibble and I can hopefully start safely giving her more supplemental foods. I don't know why I worry so much about it. Maybe the need to do right by the breeder?
It sounds like Dharma is doing well. Her kibble is high quality holistic and her coat is beautiful and she is just an all around typical vizsla. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello!

I am writing in this thread because I have a 6 month old puppy vizsla, male.
He is 26kg at the moment and I am wondering if this is normal...
From what I have read so far it seems that he will be a big boy. He is not overweight. When we took him at 3 months he was 10kg with big paws which suggested that he will grow big.
I am attaching a photo of him taken in November (5 months old).
We give him Orijen large puppy 3 times a day.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Hi, silvia, and welcome to the forums! Yes, it looks like he's going to be a big boy! Not sure why you are feeding him a food for large breed dogs, though. Did your breeder suggest that? Just curious. It looks like he has a lot of bone growth in his front legs. He's a very handsome boy, by the way! :) What is his name? :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
His name is Bren.
I will introduce him and me in the other section.

About the food - there is another vizsla living in our neighborhood, male, 2 years old, 27kg, you can see every single muscle on him. His owner said he has been feeding him with Orijen large puppy and we decided to give it a try and he loved it.

Obviously he is bigger than what is normal at his age.
I just hope he stops growing soon or I will end up with a little pony :) :p

·
Registered
24 Posts
We'll juno is nearly 6 months and she weighs in at 9kg. She was only 4 at the beginning if Dec, like the original op she was the runt! I'm wondering when do I switch her from puppy food I'm in Ireland and feeding her Burns Puppy. The bag says to switch between 6/9 months. She eats like a horse 3 times a day and would probably go a 4th ! Any advice appreciated ..

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
Wilson is a pony! He is just shy of 16 months and is 65 lbs (29 kg)
FWIW, his weight may plateau very quickly. Last June (when Wilson was 8 months) he was nearly 60 lbs (so about 26-27kg). I thought for sure he was going to be one of those 70 lb + Vizslas. But, he has hovered at between 62-65 lbs, depending on how much exercise and outside time he's getting. He fattens up a bit in the winter, i think, because our day to day routine just isn't as active as it is in the summer.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Posted this before... Below is a time series of weights I've recorded for our male and female vizsla. Age is on the x axis and weight on the y axis. With both our vizslas the weight gain was linear until they were approximately one year old. I would characterize our male as tall and skinny, and our female petite.

Aloha,

1 - 20 of 30 Posts