Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our puppy, Axel is a Vizsla mix. We have no idea so far how much Vizsla he has in his family history or what other breed he might be mixed with. So far, though, his looks and characteristics are very consistent with a typical Vizsla.

Because we don't know what breed he is mixed with and don't have any friends with Vizslas, we aren't sure if he is the typical size and weight of a V his age. Do any of you know a website to find average sizes at different ages or happen to know what size and weight a 5 month old Vizsla typically is?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
http://redbirddog.blogspot.com/2009/09/how-vizsla-ages.html

Axlesmom,
If you go by the above graph of how a Vizsla ages, it will give you some indication where he is in the growth stage.

I have know 45 pound full grown Vizslas and 85 pound full grown Vizslas. These are outside the standard, but they are out there. When you mix ??? then?

The standard for males is about 23 to 25 inches and weight is relative to height.

Bailey, our make is 24 inches at the shoulders and 62 pounds. Many others are lighter boned and weigh in at around 55. Most Vizslas are fully grown at about 18 months.

Hope that was useful for you.

Happy trails and trials,

Rod aka redbirddog

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi axelsmom,

Don't know if this helps, but I have tracked Bodhi's weight over the last two years. At least it will give you a reference point from one male vizsla who is approximately 24.5" at the withers and 55 lbs at 2.25 years old.

You can see pictures of Bodhi in his Blog (see URL in signature) for a visual comparison.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks for the chart. I consulted it frequently as my pup Dax grew up. He was always just a pound or two less than your dog.

Interestingly, if you look at the chart, the data points between 7.5 and 9 months hover around 50#. After that Bohdi had a growth spurt, but Dax remained at that weight. He is now 14 months old and 51#. Originally I had wanted him to be larger, but that was before I discovered that V's are inveterate lap dogs, so now I'm glad he didn't get any bigger.

·
Registered
47 Posts
THANKS FOR THE CHART BODHI (WHAT A GREAT IDEA BTW, WISH WE THOUGHT OF THAT), WE HAVE A 6 MONTH OLD V AND WERE CURIOUS OURSELVES ABOUT HIS DEVELOPMENT AND WHERE HE STOOD COMPARED TO OTHERS.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My dog Jasper is a 2 1/2 year old male and weighs 54 pounds. he has been that weight for the last year. Compared to the other V's he hunts with he seems to be a bit on the small side but since he spends a fair amount of time on our laps, that's OK. ;)

·
Registered
815 Posts
My Mac just had his 10 week vet appointment and he is 20 pounds! The vet said he is a healthy boy and not over weight. You can see his ribs. He just has a very big chest and front legs. I have a feeling I am going to have a big boy. From the comments made above I also have a feeling that I am going to have a sore lap.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sore lap indeed, Hunter was 12 lbs when we first got him and he is now 30+ however in his mind he still thinks he is this small 12 lb pup lol

·
Registered
775 Posts
I swear I have the smallest pup on this forum. Ruby continues to be the runt. I think she is 35lbs at 6 1/2 months. I need to measure her but she is seems so small. I am hoping for another growth spurt coming up again. I wanted her to be small but not this small.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Jasper is just two days over 6 months, and he weighs 36lbs. He's a touch on the small side, so I'll be pretty impressed if he gets any bigger than 50lbs. I haven't measured how tall he is--maybe I'll do that tonight if I can get him to stay still long enough to read the tape! :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Axel is still much smaller than that, which could be a result of whatever breed he is mixed with. At 5 1/2 months he is just under 20lbs!

He looks very healthy. Low chest with ribs barely showing and high, muscular stomach... Like most Vs. We feed him twice a day, but it is hard to tell if we should be feeding more or less since we don't know his ideal weight and he would eat til he was sick if he could.

At least I can know now not to expect a 65 lb dog to suddenly show up... a relief in someways I guess, though we were hoping for a typical body style.

Maybe we will have a hybrid "mini-Vizsla" on our hands. Haha.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I just measured Ruby. Not sure if I measured the right spot. I measured from the top of her above her shoulder to the floor while standing (not sitting). She was close to 20 inches. Did I measure in the right spot? Let's hope she grows a few more inches :)

·
Registered
639 Posts
I didn't get in a great measurement--I think he's somewhere around 21 inches at his shoulder right now.

As for how much to feed him...this was the advice from our breeder: If he starts to look a little skinny on the amount you're feeding him, increase it (I do by about 1/4 cup). If he starts to look a little pudgy on the amount you're feeding him, hold steady--eventually he'll hit a growth spurt and he'll grow into the pudge and catch up on the amount you're feeding. She said it's not very scientific, but it works! If you do ever switch foods while he's still growing, the amounts might shift up or down due to nutrient content/density of the food.

This probably won't be much help when you're trying to figure out if he's hit his terminal height/weight, but it's a pretty decent guide while he's growing!

Maybe he's a Vizsla/Doxie mix? We met one at class tonight and he looked a lot like your Axel--still very Vizsla-ish in build, just smaller overall--closer to 35 pounds, maybe?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mine is 6mths and weighs 17kgs. I keep fretting he isn't being fed enough, he gets about 500grams of food a day is that enough for a male?

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Those numbers sound good, but they don't tell the whole story. We can give you better feedback if you post some pics. One from above and one profile should do it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi - my bitch was 40lbs at 6 months (erm is that about 18kg?). She is nearly 2 years old now and stopped gaining at 48lbs. She is not from big stock and (whilst being a bit biased) I think her proportions are good and she has turned out beautifully.

I guess the most important indicators are 1. how big was the puppy's parents? and 2. is the puppy thriving? One of the things I noticed was that if the puppy is going to grow big it has a lot more loose skin for longer. The ones that are going to make smaller adults fill out their wrinkle younger.

Personally I have never weighed food out - I just get the best I can afford and offer a bit more or less according to her activity and condition.

·
Registered
343 Posts
RubyRoo said:
I swear I have the smallest pup on this forum. Ruby continues to be the runt. I think she is 35lbs at 6 1/2 months. I need to measure her but she is seems so small. I am hoping for another growth spurt coming up again. I wanted her to be small but not this small.
I think Lua might be smaller --- she's 8.5 months and looks sturdy at about 35 pounds. She's so teeny tiny! Her mom is only around 37 pounds and her dad's 55 pounds, so she might actually be a pocket vizsla. Just don't tell her that.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 52 Posts