Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Last week we picked up our two male 7.5 week old pups. We have been waiting for so long to get a dog and ended up getting two out of the same litter. My sister has a male one year old from the previous litter and he is a great dog.

A little over a week in and my husband and I are broken. They are sleeping fine and Toilet training is going well, but they are constantly fighting. They are so consumed with each other that it is impossible to let the kids play with them as they just end up rolling around play fighting and then nipping.

I’m on here now trying to look up advice, suggestions.

I can’t help but think we were really wrong to get two (we only had the intention to get one all along, but our heart got in the way of sense when we had to pick a pup two weeks ago) I am having regret and to be honest and feel really low about it. I even cried at the Petsathome store yesterday talking about them:cry:

We spoke with the breeder and she said it was normal for them to fight, and put me in touch with a trainer who suggested we do a NO command when they are really going for it and that we just have to keep at it. It works for a couple of minutes then they are back at it again. We have tried to give them space each (I.e One play in the living room the other in the kitchen) And separate them for feeding and having time in the garden, but how does that work going forward as they can’t be separated all the time.

Has anyone successfully raised two male sibling pups? And does the fighting stop? Will they grow out of it?

Any advice welcome, thanks

·
Registered
835 Posts
usually it is not advised to have 2 pups from the same litter, regardless of their sex. even experienced breeders would usually only do it if they know they will place one of the pups later on.

not sure why your breeder would have allowed this to happen, but if it was me i would pick one and give the other one back to the breeder to place him into another home.
if it was me, i would do it immediately for the best interest of the pups.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
It's done, but it is not easy. I have never had two from the same litter, but I had two males, about 6 months apart.
Yes, they used to go at it all the time. They were constantly chasing each other around mock fighting. It sounded like gremlins trying to kill each other, but they never did hurt one another. This went on for a good six to eight months. After that, they were best buddies for all their days.
Your bigger issue will be training. A lot of work, effort, and emotion, goes into training. Two at the same time, at the same point in development, is going to be a lot! and they will have to be separated during training sessions. As I said, I did have two, but they were at vastly different points in development. One 8 weeks old, and the other 8 months old.
I agree with Texas Red. It may be in everyone's best interest to separate then ad return one to the breeder, and that is emotionally going to be extremely hard for you to do, if you go that route.

·
Registered
122 Posts
trying to see who will be Alpha dog / ust playing

My 2 "fight" all the time. !5 month difference in age. Sometimes you would think they are killing each other. But watch the tails. If wagging good to go just playing/ if held up stationary getting a little more serious/ Tucked under is time to separate them.

They will figure it out. You could separate them and spend time with 1 pup for a while.
Vizsla pup's tend to be very mouthy.. Biting/nipping is standard in my limited experience..
You will have your hands full for a while. .we saw a change at 6 months in our first pup for the better.

, You could always crate them separately so you can relax.

It will get better.

·
Administrator
8,228 Posts
What you are experiencing, is the puppies staying bonded with each other. Instead of bonding more with the family. They are feeding off of each other's excitement during play.
One Vizsla puppy is very time consuming, two can be overwhelming. Because a lot of training needs to be done separately, most owners fall short.
Then you need to look up littermate syndrome.
I've known some breeder/trainers that do it successfully.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts