Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

ive been hovering on here for a while now! I am soon to welcome two male Vizla pups who will be 8 weeks. Please can I get your thoughts on whether the pups should be crated individually at bedtime in the first few weeks or kept together to help them settle?

I will have two individual crate for them each that are big enough for when they are fully grown, so have both options available to me, but wanted to see what others thoughts are on crating individually at such a young age?

many thanks
kelly

·
Registered
Ellie
414 Posts
Welcome , you will soon have your hands full!!

I never had two young puppies at the same time so unfortunately can't give any advice on the crate question. I'm sure someone who has had experience will chime in soon!

·
Registered
10 Posts
In my professional experience pups have been kept together sleep wise initially for about 3-4 weeks and then moved into separate pens. Very different to home life though - If it was me I’d begin crating or penning together and then gradually separate them alternating nights or hours apart and then back together again. This isn’t to say when they’re adults they can’t sleep together long-term, you just don’t want them unable to be apart from one another and totally dependent on the other. Long as they can do both they’ll be fine which is what I’d be aiming for. First few days home though especially I’d personally let them settle in as a pair.

·
Registered
10 Posts
But, they’re all SO different and no one persons experience will be the same. I’d assume it’s going to be a bit of trial and error I’m afraid

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the advice. I welcomed home my two male Vizla pups 8 weeks (Hugo & Blake) a few days ago and have crated them separately since they arrived and both seemed settled at night after only a few days, with only one unsettled night so far 🤞🏻. I make sure they are still able to see each other, which I think helps! They nap together in our family room in the day and I sometimes transfer them to their crate to nap so they get use to it, closing the door. They are both so loving and a lot of fun, they certainly have their crazy moments!! 🐶🐶💙💙

1 - 5 of 5 Posts