Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

Turf wars with mom?

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Miss Eve Moneypenny 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
I have an almost 1 year old, intact female who we got when she was 8 weeks. She is my first Vizsla - GSPs prior to this but 20 years ago. She has not had her first heat cycle yet (her mom was 14 months, so it's coming soon). It is mostly just her an I in the house, occasionally my adult children (23 and 26) come for visits. I usually take her on two walks per day and either play with her/let her run around the back yard midday - throw frisbees, sticks, teaser training. I also try to do mentally stimulating things with her - games/puzzles, take her to places like Home Depot on weekends, long line in the woods, etc. She does not have a lot of regular contact with other dogs or people.

With that as background... She has started a new behavior that is disturbing to me, and I don't know how to deal with it. I do let her on the couch because she loves to snuggle with her people after dinner, usually under a blanket. But every so often (1-2x/week), she will jump up next to me and either bark at me or lunge at me as if to bite. This only happens on the couch, and when it does, I order her off, and about half the time put her in a time out in her crate. But this has not stopped it from happening or even reduced the occurances. Do I need time/patience? Are her hormones ramping up? Or should I consult a behaviorist?

ps - prior to this she had this game where would pretend she had to go out to potty, and when I got up, she would run past me and steal my "spot" on the couch. I have been able to head this off with simple corrections (no or eh-eh usually does the trick). But this makes me wonder is this all a territorial thing? Does she not respect my leadership?

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #3 ·
Does it happen when she’s already on the couch, and you go to sit on it? Or have you both been sitting on the couch, and she does it. If so what are both of you doing right before it happens?
Thanks so much for asking!

For the lunging, barking, and biting, it is usually in the evening when we both go to sit down on the couch to watch tv - after dinner, dishes, etc.. I sit first usually, then she jumps up. I think she is coming in for a cuddle under the blanket (which is her normal MO), and when I lift up the blanket, every now and then it turns into this... I have been trying to watch, and one possibility that crossed my mind is that maybe she thinks she is playing? She is always been a very vocal girl - especially when she wants to get her way, but her hackles aren't going up at all, and if she really wanted to bite me hard, she could. We had a particularly rough incident the other night where she was actually biting at my forearms - similar to sharky days. She left red marks but didn't break skin. I know Vizslas can be mouthy, but I can't have her lunging at me or anyone with her mouth like that. So, I would love to correct that.

For the "I have to go potty/outside" fake, that is us sitting on the couch and after some time, she gets up and goes to the door. Then when I go to grab my coat or boots, she runs back to the couch and steals my spot. I handle this in one of two ways:
  1. I see her body shift, and I say, "oh no miss, if you have to go potty, let's go potty." (and she usually will)
  2. If she makes it to the couch, I will come over to my spot and say "scooch pooch," and she moves willingly with no complaint
So, this one is not a problem. I added it in case it's related somehow....

I appreciate you and all the great feedback you give on this site, @texasred!
Carolyn

Discussion starter · #5 ·
By your explanation, I am wondering if it is just rough play. Plus it happens late evening, where dogs try to do their last hurrah before resting. Heifer at 10 months still likes to play rough some of the time. A softer version on the puppy play biting.
Shine is 5 and still likes the game, if I wind her up. Mine will stop with the Leave It command.
Thanks so much, @texasred. I will try working harder with her on the "leave it" command for this. She's really good at it for other things...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.