Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nelson is due to be castrated next month. He'll be 17 months old and we feel it's time. Can anyone please give me an honest account of what to expect. Including the possible need for a lampshade style collar? The vet says he may not need one if he seems to leave the stitches alone? How long for recovery and any advice for when he comes home?

·
Registered
114 Posts
When I had Dax "fixed", I opted for the laser surgery. It was a little more expensive, but feel it was well worth it. There were no stitches (they glued him back together) and though he was just a little woozy when I brought him home, by the next day you would never know he had had an operation. He didn't pay any attention to the incisions so there was no need for a lampshade.

The vet told me I should wait 10 days before any strenuous activity, but after one week he was bouncing off the walls so I took him to the dog park. He never had a problem.

I highly recommend having the laser procedure if it is available to you.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Scout was nuetered when he was 8 months, and really apparrently had no idea he had an opereation. The vet actuakly called me to come and pick him up about 3 hours after he was done because he was being too disruptive with his barking. Anyway, he was completley fine. No need for the Elizabethan Collar. He didn't lick his stitches once. That's the only time you really need it is if they start going to town with the licking.

We attempted to keep Scout calm, didn't really work. We just limited his exercise for a day or two and he was good to go,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts