Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

Terrible Puppy Mill - Upstate NY

21K views 49 replies 20 participants last post by  SteelCityDozer 
#1 ·
We have a terrible, heartbreaking situation in Upstate New York. The Otsego County SPCA is overwhelmed with the number of dogs they are going to have to take in and they have asked for help.

From the ridgeback list, requests from the NY shelter handling the dogs.
Please be very careful what is said in public, it could undermine their case
with the courts. They
> would like for everyone to remove any Facebook postings that include
> the name of the kennel and the proprietor, until after they have
> possession of all the dogs.So if anyone has made any public postings,? please
delete any
> previous postings that included the kennel or man's name (until after
> the dogs are all safe).By the way, if anyone is wondering, Liz called me
(original poster, not me)
> because she is trying to un-do the incorrect information that was
> disseminated on the internet, and specifically on Facebook, and she
> would really prefer that the kennel/man's name is not disseminated on
> public forums for now. ?When I asked how we can best help her help the
> dogs, she said they will need monetary donations to help with vet bills,
> boarding fees, and ongoing care.?
[I'll keep people posted as to how you can help if vizsla rescue needs help. Hopefully there are not many vizslas here. Do NOT call NY vizsla rescue or the shelters up there. They are busy enough without answering hundreds of phone calls. NY vizsla rescue will let us know what they need if they need help. [/color]
========================================

RBD[/size][/i]

#4 ·
RBD,

please keep us in the loop up here. I am from Upstate NY originally and my parents still live there. If there is anything I can do to help, I'd like to know what.

Heartbreaking.

#7 ·
#9 ·
I HATE hearing stories like this... especially ones that involve precious Vs. :mad: I hope this man is prevented from ever owning animals again.

We are in the CA Bay Area, but if they need a place for a V we can foster.

#11 ·
Wow this frank guy sounds just so horrible. It's really sad that a lot of people are not aware of the importance of finding a reputable breeder and make this type of a puppy mill businessman thrive until now. If anyone who does a little bit of research I'm sure they will come across numerous websites about how to find a good breeder and what to watch out for.. This guy breeds 3 different breeds at this mysterious location where no pics can be found and doesn't show any info on the parent dogs. It's sad such a thing existed but at least he is busted and dogs can have a chance to live in a loving home as somebody's companion.

#12 ·
I follow New Hope Vizsla rescue on facebook and it looks like this is the puppy mill they were just posting about! I have an application in to the rescue foundation and would love to foster/forever home a pup. This really just breaks my heart.

Redbirddog, please let me know if you hear anything concrete!

#13 ·
Posted this evening at Yahoo Vizsla Talk list serve from Stephanie Fischer:

Just a quick update for everyone. I am still waiting for a call back from
the head of the shelter. I am sure she is inundated with phone calls. I
understand they have taken quite a few dogs and have gotten them vetted.
They are now being kenneled at the spca or a kennel they work with. I have
no number yet on Vizslas. I was concerned about temperament. The assistant
said even hungry, the V's were quite loving.

Please lets not inundate the shelter with phone calls. I will do my best
to keep everyone in the loop. Unfortunately, we have to sit back and
wait...patiently.

RBD

#15 ·
Update and fact corrections:[/color]

Good morning,

I just got off the phone with Liz Mackey, the head of the SPCA in
Cooperstown. Here are the facts:

NONE of the dogs were left outside chained to barrels. They were all
housed in kennels. This was a rumor that needs to be stopped.

There are 85 dogs of 4 different breeds in total. About 48 of them are
vizslas. They have 26 dogs in their possession already. All will need vet
care. The state troopers, SPCA and the vets will continue to go out to the
site and gather the dogs within the parameters of the law.

The dogs will be housed until all the necessary legal work is done, then
Liz will be in contact with me to start the placement process. We are
hoping that Frank will not get his dogs back.

Please do not call the shelter. She and her staff must attend to the dogs
already there.

We will be setting up a fund for monetary donations. Please keep an eye
out for that email.

This email will also be going to all the clubs in the northeast, as well as
V-talk and facebook pages. Please lets stop all the rumors and wait for
the facts!

Thank you,
Stephanie Fischer
Northeast Regional Rescue Coordinator VCA
President & Rescue Chair
Vizsla Club of Long Island
_www.vcli.net_ (http://www.vcli.net/)

#16 ·
I hope that cruel arsehole gets what Karma dictates he deserves for such a heinous act.

I applaude all of you who have already made offers to adopt or foster some of these animals. I wish I was there to help too. Hopefully, all the dogs will be healthy enough in physical and mental condition to be saved. I know for sure all the V's will be homed as V owners are some of the most compassionate I know!

Good work posting that up RBD.

#17 ·
We can do nothing at this point, simply be prepared to help financially if the
dogs have to stay in the shelter while the wheels of justice move along, To
foster if they are allowed to be released for fostering..
From Yahoo Vizsla Talk to the question, "What can we do?"

RBD

#18 ·
Ozkar said:
I hope that cruel arsehole gets what Karma dictates he deserves for such a heinous act.

I applaude all of you who have already made offers to adopt or foster some of these animals. I wish I was there to help too. Hopefully, all the dogs will be healthy enough in physical and mental condition to be saved. I know for sure all the V's will be homed as V owners are some of the most compassionate I know!

Good work posting that up RBD.
It is sad what we humans will do for a buck...
I'm amazed that puppy mills can even continue to operate with all of the knowledge out there about them.

#19 ·
http://redbirddog.blogspot.com/2011/12/petland-usa-relies-on-puppy-mills.html

It is sad what we humans will do for a buck...
I'm amazed that puppy mills can even continue to operate with all of the knowledge out there about them.
As long as there are pet stores that sell dogs and internet selling breeders that will ship a dog to anyone, then people will breed for a buck or a pound.

A friend of mine from England told me after Yogi, the Vizsla, won Crufts in 2009 that the Vizsla became very popular in the UK and Vizsla rescue became very busy shortly after that.

The popularity here in the US of the Vizsla is shown by 48 of the dogs being Vizslas in this one commercial breeder's operation.

I do not believe that there will not be 48 Vizlsa born to hobby breeders in all of California, Oregon and Washington this year.

Education about commerical breeders is tough because PETA would stop all breeding if they could.

Support hobby breeders and educate those who you talk to about the differences. Here is a post that highlights the differences.

http://redbirddog.blogspot.com/2011/07/dont-support-backyard-breed.html

RBD

#20 ·
From the ridgeback list, requests from the NY shelter handling the dogs.
Please be very careful what is said in public, it could undermine their case
with the courts. They would like for everyone to remove any Facebook postings that include
the name of the kennel and the proprietor, until after they have possession of all the dogs.

So if anyone has made any public postings,

please delete any previous postings that included the kennel or man's name
(until after the dogs are all safe).

By the way, if anyone is wondering, Liz called me (original poster, not me)

because she is trying to un-do the incorrect information that was disseminated on the internet, and specifically on Facebook, and she would really prefer that the kennel/man's name is not disseminated on public forums for now.

When I asked how we can best help her help the dogs, she said they will need monetary donations to help with vet bills, boarding fees, and ongoing care.
From post on Yahoo Vizsla Talk.
RBD

#21 ·
January 24, 2012

"We cannot begin to express our appreciation to all of you who have supported the Susquehanna SPCA during this situation.

Just to update you, we have currently removed 46 dogs from their situation.

The dogs that have been removed have been placed in area Shelters, Veterinary Hospitals and boarding facilities.

The support that we have received from local Shelters, Vets and Boarding facilities has been fantastic. Some of these facilities that have taken in these dogs are donating the vet care, medicine, food and boarding while others are charging a daily fee. At this time, the Susquehanna SPCA is accepting monetary donations through our website at:

http://www.susquehannaspca.org/

You can do so by clicking on the top right corner on “Support Us” and using the PayPal link. You can also send donations directly to our Shelter at 4841 State Highway 28, Cooperstown, NY 13326.

The monetary donations received are going towards all the dogs from the cruelty case to cover vet care, meds, food and boarding. We have also received from the public dog food, blankets, sheets and towels.

The support that we have received from the local public has been phenomenal. We solely rely on the public for support in running the daily operations of our small Shelter.

We will provide updates on the situation via our website and our Facebook page.

Again, our thanks and appreciation. "
Sincerely yours,
Elizabeth Mackey
Executive Director

4841 State Highway 28, Cooperstown, NY 13326 (607) 547-8111
Susquehannaspca.org

#22 ·
Thanks for the updates Redbirddog. I've been in direct contact with Debra at New Hope so i'm staying in the loop. Someone also posted a video of the dog seizure from a news outlet in NY. Breaks my heart and makes me insanely angry. I've reached out and will help in any way I can whether it be fostering or adopting or anything else!

#23 ·
#25 ·
This has been absolutely heartbreaking to follow. I hope this jerk NEVER gets his dogs back.

#26 ·
"Below is the latest on the Southside Kennel situation. I spoke with Liz
Mackey yesterday and she assures me the dogs that are now being housed with
the SPCA and various kennels are warm, happy and all putting on weight.
The shelters up that way have large yards for the dogs to run and play, so
they are being exercised and socialized.
I will be getting a count of the Vizslas in their custody hopefully today.
I also want to thank everyone for their donations. The SPCA is
overwhelmed with the generosity and kindness of the Vizsla community."

Stay tuned,

Stephanie Fischer
President & Rescue Chair
Vizsla Club of Long Island
_www.vcli.net_ (http://www.vcli.net)
Northeast Regional Rescue Coordinator, VCA

February 3, 2012
Area kennel owner faces 49 counts of abuse
Staff Report

"Two people were arrested Thursday following an investigation that began in late December at a Worcester farm, state police at Oneonta said.

South Side Dogs kennel owner Frank M. Popolizio, 65, of Schenectady, was charged with 49 counts of animal abuse, troopers said. Farm manager Corrinne A. Kindt, 26, of Central Bridge, was charged with seven counts of animal abuse, police said.

Animal abuse is a class A misdemeanor under the state Agriculture and Markets law, Oneonta station Commander Sgt. Marc Barbera said. The maximum penalty on each count is a year in jail and a $1,000 fine, he said.

The investigation began after troopers were tipped off by a former employee regarding possible malnourished dogs.

About 45 dogs were taken before the arrests and were in the care of the local Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and Oneonta veterinarian Joan Puritz.

About 50 dogs remain at the facility on the farm, which also breeds dogs for sale. In addition to the dogs, there were an unspecified number of cows and horses at the location, Barbera said.

The arrests were made Thursday because the dogs that needed to be removed for health reasons had been taken, he said.

According to the veterinarian working with the troopers, the other dogs were in good enough health to remain, he said.

A call to the SPCA for comment Thursday on the condition of the dogs was not returned.

An employee of Puritz said that some of the 10 to 12 dogs she was caring for have been sent to the SPCA. There are still four to six being cared for, office manager Stefan Marikovics said.

The two arrested were arraigned in Worcester Town Court to return March 6.

Popolizio was released on $9,800 bail, and Kindt was released on $1,400 bail.

The kennel failed a Jan. 6 state Agriculture and Markets inspection and has 30 days to correct the deficiencies"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.