Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we finally got Jasper swimming!

She's 9 month old and would never go fully in. She would go up to her shoulders to fetch balls and sticks, but couldn't quite figure out that she could swim.

So ... the boyf and I donned our wetsuits and jumped into a Loch (Scotland) with her. What a laugh .... she swims like a drowning human ... front legs flailing every where and splashing her self in the face. She has now gone into a river swimming on her own accord and the cold cold Scottish sea. What a wee super star.

Anyone got any tips on how to make her a bit more stream line at swimming instead of looking ridiculous and wasting so much energy?

:)

·
Registered
128 Posts
You could try getting her a life preserver. It helps to balance them somewhat until they figure it out on their own. If you don't want to but a life jacket for her she will eventually figure it out. One thing you can do is put your wet suits back on and take her in there and hold her and let her practice kicking her legs under water as opposed to out of water. They do eventually figure it out. Luckily (or maybe unluckily here lately -105 degrees a couple times this week) we live in Texas so we were able to get Tizane in the water very early in her life and she took to it very well. She did the crazy flailing leg thing a few times but by the end of first day with a little help from us she was swimming like a pro. That was a good thing because we love spending time in the water. And after she figured it out she does too.

·
Registered
599 Posts
In my experience, everything Sahara said is accurate, and he will figure it out pretty quickly. The drowning human style of swimming is totally normal when they are learning. Kobi took several trips into the water before he figured out he swam better with his legs under him, instead of in front of him. You can get Jasper a life jacket if you would like, but I would say unless you're going to be on a large body of water I wouldn't worry about it too much. The reason I mention a large body of water is because I have a friend with an Australian shepherd who swam after some geese and disappeared for 90 minutes! Luckily he came back, but if he would have got tired he may not have made it!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Practice practice and more practice! Absolutely no life preserver or jackets! You can hold them up a bit and support their weight and they will get it in no time. Copper floats like a log. ;D

·
Registered
146 Posts
Haha thats great! They're so funny at first! She'll get the hang of it, just takes practice. Holly was the exact same! Paws flaying around everywhere, shes finally got he concept of it now and swims with her paws underwater now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts