Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We live and work in a golf club and are garden is therefor a golf course. It's a lovely place to take the dog for a walk but the problem is that Ebba just wont stay out of the bunkers!! It's the best place in the world for her and she loves skidding around in them, but she obvioulsy can't keep doing it since it upsets many golfers.
I know it's a bit of an odd question, but has anyone got any ideas on how to stop her from going in the bunkers? We have tried just saying NO and rewarding her when she gets out of it, as well as walking her on a lead by the bunker, and as soon as she atempts to go in it we pull the lead and says no (followed by praise).
Thanks for any suggestions, it's really important that we stop her from doing this!

·
Registered
794 Posts
You have an interesting dilemma. When we are visiting my mother, who lives a block from a golf course, we will take Pumpkin out there to burn some energy. We wait until the golfers are gone of course. Pumpkin will dig in the yard sometimes (which I always reprimand), but I don't remember her digging/skidding in the dunes. I wish I had a good answer for you, but I don't. Ultimately, I think you either have to have a dog who will recall without question &/or keep putting her on the leash. If you didn't have to worry about those darn golfers wanting the dunes to be nice, you might have more leeway in experimenting with different techniques ;) Good luck, and I hope someone more creative or knowledgeable will answer your post. Good Luck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks anyway Kellygh! I'm surprised your dog didn't go for the bunkers. Ebba goes absolutely MENTAL and skids around in them and eats the sand. And the more you trie to get her out of there the more she loves it. We sometimes end up spending more time raking than walking! :p At the moment we are trying to go in and grab her (you need to be two to catch her) and say a firm NO as well as putting her on the lead and making her sit for a minute. She obviously finds this very boring so hopefully she'll get it! She's great with recall except for in this one occasion.
And yeah, those golfers can be a real pain! :)

·
Registered
794 Posts
We took Pumpkin to the golf course in the early morning or evening when no one was golfing; therefore, the diminished light & wildlife freaked P out a little bit (she was about4m at the time); otherwise, she probably would have gone crazy. She does on the beach, and goes skidding around the yard when she is having a "Pumpkin attack" ;D Pumpkin has been easy to train, usually listens well, but when she is having a moment of going berserk, forget it! Yesterday she did this on the freshly laid ground cover to promote grass growth. Ripped it to shreds, kept running through it, and there was no way to catch her. She is so fast! I could have choked her (not literally of course), but I was so mad. Did she think about listening? Nope! She just kept running circles & leaping through the freshly seeded ground cover--urgh!!! It sounds like you are doing the right thing. She will get it with patience. I need to find some patience in those moments when P goes MENTAL :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts