Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I generally spend half of my week at my partner's house, and I plan to continue to do so when I get my pup next month. The little guy would come with me, a full welcome puppy set up there as well. Do you think this will be confusing for a puppy? Do you think I should acclimate him to my home first for a few weeks before traveling back and forth?

His house is actually better suited for a puppy, as he lives on a farm. I have a decent size house in a suburban city with a small yard and a couple housemate. I wonder, if I should stay in one place for the first week or two should it be his place? Or would that be even worse?

He also has a "foster" dog who I highly doubt will ever be leaving (we love him too much). He is selectively dog social and has some resource guarding issues. Im confident we understand his issues well enough and he won't endanger the pup physically, but psychologically could it be damaging to have an early experience he finds frightening with a new dog?

Im sorry I feel like I'm posting so many new threads, but especially this topic I found little mention of in previous discussions. If I missed a pertinent thread please do let me know!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Puppies are pretty adaptable. You're probably actually better off doing it with a puppy, than with an older dog. I don't think you're puppy will have an issue.
You have to watch the older dog around the puppy, and intervene if required. It has been my experience that for some reason normal adult dogs, with no identified behavioral issues, are pretty tolerant of puppies to a degree. Oddly enough, you probably need to ensure that the older dog can get away from the puppy. ;)
You're bigger concern would be to make sure that he has all of inoculations prior to introducing him to another dog. Generally speaking, the first and second round of shots are complete by the 14th week,and the puppy is ready to be exposed to other dogs. Talk with your vet.

·
Super Moderator
926 Posts
What gunnr said. And ... puppies have a built-in respect for adult dogs. Your puppy will defer to the older dog and adapt. It's what happens all the time when people get a puppy as a second dog.

·
Administrator
8,419 Posts
After my daughter grew up, and moved to a home of her own. Lucy would spend a lot of weekends with her. Even though she was a adult dog, she has no problems adjusting. In fact she literally loved her mini-vacations away from home.

For those new to the forum.
Lucy was my daughter's Vizsla (she was in high school when Lucy was purchased), but she always lived with us. Between her work and school schedule after high school, we just felt it was better for her to stay with us.

Reactions: Gabica

·
Registered
86 Posts
I took my pup to work 3 days a week. I’d only suggest buying 2 crates, because crate trained puppies make your life a lot easier. Having a second crate at work worked very well for both of us.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts