Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's 3:45 am here and Finn just finished a bath.
Out the door at 3 am and there was a skunk outside the backdoor. Somehow or the other, the little guy didn't get sprayed, but I was really so glad that he responded to the "NO!" command, and came when I called him off the skunk. I for sure thought he'd keep going after it.
Two sponge baths with peroxide, baking, soda and dish soap, followed by a Cowboy Magic shampoo, and luckily he just smells like a wet dog.
He doesn't always listen to me, but he did when it counted tonight. :)

Have fun with your poochies today. Just don't start as early as I did. ;)

·
Administrator
8,958 Posts
That’s awesome.
My past females (Lucy, and June) were skunk killers. It didn’t matter how many times they got sprayed, they would go after the next one. Lucy needed the ecollar, to make her turn it loose.
Cash learned with his first skunk encounter, that he wanted no part of them. Shine, and Jasper have been sprayed once. Jasper did back off when told too. So far Hunter hasn’t been sprayed, but there is still time. Ranger never went after them, but he may have learned about the stink bomb kitty before coming to me.

Reactions: gunnr

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Texasred

Gunnr used to also kill skunks. She spent more than one nite of her life in the garage until daylight. The last one she killed was dead before all of her paws hit the ground. Unbelievable! She didn't even get sprayed by that one, but the entire front of my truck reeked to high heavens for about a week.
Finn doesn't like baths. Not an iota of fear in his body of water, but he just doesn't like baths. I'm hoping the bath is enough of a "soft deterrent" for him to leave them alone. ;)

·
Registered
Ellie
365 Posts
Wow , this hasn't crossed my mind with Ellie. Mental note to take peroxide, baking soda, dish soap, and water with me the next car trip outing where we'll be in the woods. I can only hope she never acquires the taste for skunk hunting!

·
Administrator
8,958 Posts
Wow , this hasn't crossed my mind with Ellie. Mental note to take peroxide, baking soda, dish soap, and water with me the next car trip outing where we'll be in the woods. I can only hope she never acquires the taste for skunk hunting!
Pick up a couple of bottles of Summers Eve, or other brand of you know what, and some disposable gloves. You need the gloves, or your hands will smell like skunk. Rinse them off avoiding the eyes. This cuts down the smell enough, so you can get to a place for the peroxide, baking soda, dawn blue dishwashing liquid.

Reactions: Dan_A

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Lucky you and Finn, for sure. one thing i also learned that before you event start the washing process try and soak up the oil from wherever they got hit as much as possible. otherwise the washing will just further spread it on the body, it is oil after all.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

Dan
Ya' know, it's funny you should mention that, Having a clean up kit in the car.
A long time ago.my two males found a dead fish carcass in the woods. A big one!. How it got into the middle of the forest is still a mystery. Anyways, those two boneheads decided to roll in that fish carcass and man, oh man, did they reek something awful!!!!
I've never transported my dogs in the open bed of a pickup truck, but that day was an exception! I only had had about three miles to go to get home on back roads thank goodness.
I washed them in the bed of the truck, and just like the skunk, you could smell the lingering odor of fish for a long time if you got near my truck.
Those two thought it was the greatest thing ever. They got to stink like the dumpster outside a fish restaurant, and then they got to ride in the bed of the truck. ( They were secured by their leashes, and i drove slow.)
Luckily Finn has limited his reeking events thus far to the mud in inland wetland areas. Usually I can find a stream, or pond to throw him in to clean up.
Still though, I should out a cleanup kit in the truck.

Life with V's is never boring for long!!! ;)

·
Administrator
8,958 Posts
Mine all decided to rub their shoulders, and roll on a dead toad today. It was in the backyard, so cleanup was easy.

• Wow
Reactions: Mrs M

·
Registered
Ellie
365 Posts
Dogs can be nasty. I gave Ellie a bath recently and the past few days she's been out in the woods trying to rub the soap smell off. It's as if they think when they meet each other they say "Ewww you smell like fresh clean soap, disgusting! Go roll in that pile of putrid rotten animal over there to get back to normal!!"

·
Administrator
8,958 Posts
The worst story I have ever heard was about a Brittany, that was out quail hunting. The little dog came across a cow that had died, and was rotten. The stomach was open from predators. Before the owner could stop her, she crawled in the the cows belly and started rolling. He said she covered in a thick coat of nasty, foul smelling slime.

• Wow
Reactions: Mrs M

·
Registered
Ellie
365 Posts
The worst story I have ever heard was about a Brittany, that was out quail hunting. The little dog came across a cow that had died, and was rotten. The stomach was open from predators. Before the owner could stop her, she crawled in the the cows belly and started rolling. He said she covered in a thick coat of nasty, foul smelling slime.
My normal reaction to a foul cow carcass slime covered item would be to purge it with fire. In this situation that is not applicable. Did I just graduate to needing a full hazmat decontamination suite to be stored in my car for dog outings?

·
Administrator
8,958 Posts
I would just hope there was a pond, and the dog like to retrieve. Keep them retrieving until most of the slime was gone. Being my luck, there would be no water in sight other than the 2 gallons I carry for the dogs.

·
Registered
Ellie
365 Posts
Ellie can really care less about retreiving. Maybe a few throws, but usually something else gets her attention and she runs off after that. Sometimes she looks at me "why'd you throw that over there silly human".

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Around a week ago we found this little body on our off leash walk, lingering skunk smell from the distance already, the gut turning type... I managed to call off the boys and for days i avoided the area with them. Yesterday morning we had to pass it on the way back from our run as big construction buggies were working on the usual passing area. Sure enough the body dissembled already / taken apart, who knows, just fur everywhere, smelling awful (for me). Bende goes up to a pile of fur, trying to sniff it, i say leave it, he walks away, good boy! Several steps later he finds another fur pile, starts sniffing as well, this time accompanied by brother Miksa who is always ready for a good competition, no matter what. I say leave it again, red head ears turning deaf, noses getting dangerously close to the smelly fur pile. I did not have to check whose ecollar is the transmitter on, i knew both deserve it, just pushed a nick, Bende yelping, jumping 6 feet, followed by Miksa, who did not get nicked but knew he would be next. Both looking at me, mom, sorry. I was glad it was Bende, he is much more pain intolerant than Miksa, so he makes a huge drama even at low 2.
And both lining up afterwards in the most perfect heel and walking a good 400 steps like that with me until i had to put them back on leash as we arrived back to the neighborhood. well, i am guessing leave it will stick now for a while again with both :cool:
It never stops amazing me, how smart they are and how much they know to try and please me with something like heeling after the non listening and it`s consequences.

Attachments

·
Registered
Ellie
365 Posts
Wow disaster avoided! E-collar definitely comes in handy with these situations, no escape from consequences!

Today Ellie was out running in the woods with her best friend. I was talking with her owner while walking and the thought occurred to me, "I haven't seen Ellie check in for awhile, I bet she's into something". Sure enough 30 seconds later here she comes running up to show us the excellent deer scat markings on her body... and to get a drink of water. GRrrrrr, bath time when we got home. She even managed to get it all into the nooks and crannies of the e-collar, almost like she was spiting me because I wasn't paying attention to see what she was up to!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts