Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I am set on purchasing a puppy from Hungary which will mean a good 13-16 hour drive from Ukraine. I do have reservations about this as it’s something I’ve never done before. I’ve highlighted some concerns below. I will be very grateful if you could point out any red flags, or if there are some ‘must have’ documents or certificates that I need to see before I make the commute. I’m really cautious and will need peace of mind that I’ve carried out due diligence.

After many messages on Facebook and one telephone conversation, I have obtained the following information:

- a couple of website links to a Vizsla database of the mother and father. Example here: Vizsla Database

• pictures of the litter, mother and father - some attached
  • a contract which is attached
My concerns:

I obviously cannot know fully if this is legit. I mean, I had the telephone conversation but there is no guarantee this person is who they claim to be. I was thinking to have a Skype call to actually see the person. I also plan to visit the breeder to see the litter prior to parting with any cash. This then brings me to the question of how I can show my commitment to reserving a puppy.

I am concerned that I had to ask the breeder to modify the contract. They added in a guarantee as you’ll see and some information about vaccines. They said they are so busy that they haven’t had a chance to set up a website. They have had a couple of litters before and they appear to be a show judge in Hungary. Lots of photos of said person on Facebook at shows. I also see that their address is from when they lived in another country, not their actual address. Why not their actual address on the contract I have no idea.

This is all I have. With this being such a long commit are there any documents which they could send me as proof that they are a reputable breeder? Perhaps registration papers of mother and father and their FCI pedigree certificate. Maybe also evidence of regular vaccination papers of mother and father and then of the puppy whilst I wait before taking him/her home?

1. I really appreciate any advice with this. It’s quite a big risk in my eyes so I want to ensure that I’ve done everything I can before I commit.

·
Administrator
8,029 Posts
The sire only shows to be 1 1/2 years old, and I don't see any health clearances listed for him.
I also don't see any listed for the female. Those 3 things would be red flags.
It's possible that the data base has not been updated. But I would definitely ask for proof of health clearances.
If your not sure the person your talking to, is who they say they are.
Look at who owns the grandparents of the pups. Try to contact them, and ask for references.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Breeder has asked for a deposit to secure one. I haven’t even seen them yet. I don’t even have their correct address because they are dual nationality and their Kennel is officially registered in their home country.

I could only give say a 50$ deposit if I get his ID with his address.

Thoughts?

·
Administrator
8,029 Posts
Are there any Vizsla clubs that could verify this breeder for you?
Personally I wouldn't worry to much about losing $50. I would worry more about getting a pup with genetic problems, and/or from a puppy mill.

Has the breeder provided proof of health clearances on his breeding stock?

Reactions: tegee26

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are there any Vizsla clubs that could verify this breeder for you?
Personally I wouldn't worry to much about losing $50. I would worry more about getting a pup with genetic problems, and/or from a puppy mill.

Has the breeder provided proof of health clearances on his breeding stock?
I think he wanted 30% of the full price which is 360 euros.

No proof of health clearance papers of mother and father.

I have contacted one Kennel club. He’s registered with the FCI.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi,

I am set on purchasing a puppy from Hungary which will mean a good 13-16 hour drive from Ukraine. I do have reservations about this as it’s something I’ve never done before. I’ve highlighted some concerns below. I will be very grateful if you could point out any red flags, or if there are some ‘must have’ documents or certificates that I need to see before I make the commute. I’m really cautious and will need peace of mind that I’ve carried out due diligence.

After many messages on Facebook and one telephone conversation, I have obtained the following information:

- a couple of website links to a Vizsla database of the mother and father. Example here: Vizsla Database

• pictures of the litter, mother and father - some attached
  • a contract which is attached
My concerns:

I obviously cannot know fully if this is legit. I mean, I had the telephone conversation but there is no guarantee this person is who they claim to be. I was thinking to have a Skype call to actually see the person. I also plan to visit the breeder to see the litter prior to parting with any cash. This then brings me to the question of how I can show my commitment to reserving a puppy.

I am concerned that I had to ask the breeder to modify the contract. They added in a guarantee as you’ll see and some information about vaccines. They said they are so busy that they haven’t had a chance to set up a website. They have had a couple of litters before and they appear to be a show judge in Hungary. Lots of photos of said person on Facebook at shows. I also see that their address is from when they lived in another country, not their actual address. Why not their actual address on the contract I have no idea.

This is all I have. With this being such a long commit are there any documents which they could send me as proof that they are a reputable breeder? Perhaps registration papers of mother and father and their FCI pedigree certificate. Maybe also evidence of regular vaccination papers of mother and father and then of the puppy whilst I wait before taking him/her home?

1. I really appreciate any advice with this. It’s quite a big risk in my eyes so I want to ensure that I’ve done everything I can before I commit.
Not good. Forget it and look for a puppy where all the question you have are answered positively...you have good questions......Have you look at re-homing (not rescue) an older one?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts