Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

i'm hoping you can help me, we have pretty much decided that the new addition to our family is going to be Vizsla but i have a few questions with regards to the smooth or wire haired?

firstly, in your experience is there any difference in their behaviour? i.e energy, general attitude? i have heard to WH are a bit more laid back.

also is there a difference in the amount they shed?

I would really appreciate anyones advice, i have done a LOT of research on the net but i would like some first hand views.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
4,181 Posts
well my girl is a smooth wire mix....just as nutty as a smooth. In general I believe the wires are a bit more laid back.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I have a 14month old wire-haired boy, who has been the easiest puppy we have ever had. He has his moments of being whizzy, and is as mad as the other vizzies when we go out with the Vizsla groups, but on the whole he is much more laid back than his smooth haired friends. If he only get 45 minutes he is still well behaved in the house.

One of the reasons I went for a wire-haired version is that there is very little shedding. I run a fulminator comb through once a week and that removes the dead wire, but other than that maintenance is easy peasy. Most of my friends who have smooth haired vizzies complain about the hair all over their clothes and house.

The are really super dogs.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Hi gem! Welcome to the forum! I went through the same debate for a few months and just got on a breeder's list for a WH a couple weeks ago. My breeder owned a smooth V before getting involved with wires and she said that generally WHs are better at switching modes as if they have an off switch and are slightly less clingy/needy. I decided on WHs because as much I think I understand the energy requirements of vizslas, having grow up with low energy dogs, I'm sure it will still be an adjustment. On those days when life gets in the way of my good intentions, I want a dog who won't bounce off the walls.

The standard is there for a reason, but within it there's room for interpretation so it's even more important to make sure the dam and sire have the type of temperament you want. There are calm smoothies and hyper wires.

If you're in the States WH litters might be hard to find for the next couple years though. There's a transition while some bitches retire and new breeding stock comes of age. Just a heads up.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thankyou for your helpful replies! I am definitely leaning towards the wire haired.

Im in the UK and hoping to get a pup towards the end of the year, i want to spend summer 'puppy proofing' the house but im looking to get my name onto a reputable breeders list as soon as possible so if anyone in the uk knows of any i would be grateful for a contact.

I too have been brought up around smaller dogs but i have read enough about vizzies to know what to expect. I think the wire haired temperment would suit us slightly better.

Thanks again :)

·
Administrator
4,181 Posts
where abouts in UK are you Gem? I'm in Lake District and could possibly steer you towards a couple of breeders whose dogs I've met.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im in derbyshire but willing to travel to get the right pup for us. It would be great if you know someone you can recommend.

I only want a pup from someone reputable because i have read on other posts that sadly you can't trust all breeders.

I am grateful for all your advice x

·
Registered
68 Posts
My little lady is a wire (see her 6 month old "beard" in the photo below)

I went through the same decision process as you to start with,

A few extra things to think about;

Where I live Vizslas are becoming increasingly popular and a wirehaired is thus a bit more "special". People are always very curious about her.

Every time I do encounter a smooth vizsla I'm always jealous of how silky smooth their coat is, a real pleasure to stroke, whereas the wirey coat is, obviously , much more coarse.

Wires were bred to be better in cold weather

I've encountered a lot of smooth vizsla pups and more than a few of them have that "crazy eye" manic vibe about them, whereas my pup is pretty chilled in comparison.

Goodluck with your search!

And.... Not to add another option. I ran into a vizsla pack today, 3 dogs- a smooth, a wire and a LONG HAIRED vizsla, i didnt even know there was such a thing!

she was beautiful, her hair has that deep red colour (not the wirey blond) and she almost looked like the redish golden retrievers you get in North America. Apparently long hairs are usually produced as a genetic throwback from smooth haired parents, the one I met today was one of two long haired pups in her otherwise smooth litter of 7.

See this website for photos of the long haired.

http://longhairvizsla.com/Welcome.html

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The long haired Vizsla is beautiful! i haven't seen one of those before.

i'm still looking for some breeders if anyone in the UK knows someone they can recommend?

i've had a quick look on the net and picked up a few names.Thanks for the recommendation of the Addaci Vizlas but I can't access the link from my work computer so i will have a look when i get home.

·
Administrator
4,181 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
My Boris is by Zoldmali Dukat at Gonegos other wise known as Zorro , and he has a lovely temperament and yet is very sensible .

Harrigab which of Ruby's parents was wire-haired?

·
Administrator
4,181 Posts
Zorro is Truly and Spiders dad Heather ;)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
What a co-incidence! He must have sired a lot of litters as I met a Ruby near me who is also by him. Very different to Boris, she has quite a long coat. It is interesting that in the UK breeders can't breed for the length of coat. Is it any better in Hungary?

·
Administrator
4,181 Posts
Truly's sister (Red) looks like a smoothie, whereas Truly looks like she's got some wooly mammoth in her heritage ;D, both lovely lovely dogs though.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts