Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am hoping someone can help us?

We have recently purchased this wonderful puppy from a well known breeder in Ontario Canada. He was to be a smooth coat Vizsla. As time has gone bye he (Cooper) has began to grow long hair. I raise concern with the breeder and she told me that he might have the FGF5 gene. My question is he a smooth hair – long hair Vizsla or a wirehair - long hair vizsla?

I would like to know a little bit more about the long hair and can we have him Groomed or striped

This is my Second Vizsla and we love the breed, Just this is not what I was expecting but we have made him a part of our family.

Thanks, I have attached a few pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
from my understanding,
the wirehaired version was originally created by crossing a vizsla with a german wirehaired pointer, with some other breeds added in the final mix.

they tend to be build stockier and have narrower faces,
so, think it’s way more than a single gene.
i don’t think that story is on the up and up...

that said, you’re boy certainly looks like mine -
welcome to the wireside...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Do you have pictures of the parents/siblings? He sure is a cutie, and no matter what he looks like I'm sure he's the best boy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don’t know if he’s technically smooth coat or wire haired by breeder standards but he’s SO adorable. I’m melting from that third pic. You’re really lucky. My fiancé saw a wirehaired V on YouTube and he’s become obsessed. Maybe when our boy is a little older we’ll look into getting one.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I agree with joav. Your boy has a wirehair coat--longhairs look more like red setters–so definitely groom him as such.

I was looking through my girl's genealogy the other day on vizsladatabase.com, like way back into the 1940s, and found where they started crossing German Wirehairs to Vizslas. The records get pretty crazy around then because of WWII, so there'd sometimes be a dog listed as a wirehair with two shorthair vizsla parents, dogs without any breed or multiple potential breeds listed, missing records, or other curious things like that. So as skeptical as I'd be having a wirehaired dog pop up in a shorthair litter in the present, I suppose it isn't out of the question.

I would expect the breeder to test the parents and stop breeding whichever contributed the wire gene though.

Cooper looks very handsome, but then I'm quite biased. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Haha same. Sometimes I don’t think my boy knows how big he’s gotten when he tries to climb all over me.
This is why they call the Velcro Dogs! Mine is turning 3 in October and he still thinks he little....just wants to climb all over you when your sitting down in the couch!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts