Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Olive
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm in need of urgent crate and sleep advice. Our little Olive is 14 weeks and we've had her since she was 8. She's very smart and learns quick but we're having issues with sleeping and being alone in her crate. She's been sleeping in her crate since she came home, she tends to fall asleep on the floor next to us and we then put her in her crate. At the beginning, we stayed downstairs for a few nights and then on week 3 moved upstairs but came down when she cried to take her to do her business. She'd usually wake up 2 or 3 times normally, cry a bit and then go back to sleep. We had to come down again because she got really sick with something she ate so she needed monitoring. Now she can hold her pee through the night now but still wakes up several times between 12 and 2 wanting attention and come out of the crate and after a few wake-ups she passes out until 8AM. We can tell when she needs to do her business so we take her out in those cases.

Last night we went back upstairs and only went down and took her to pee and poop at 1AM. For the first time, we didn't listen to her cries and barks and let her cry it out like everyone says so she gets used to it. She barked uninterruptedly for 3 hours (1-4 AM) and when we finally came down she had pooped and peed all over the crate out of nervousness and she was very distressed. When we calmed her down she went to sleep on a blanket in the middle of the living room and then moved into her travel crate which we have used those weekend for the first time for our trip. She seems to like that crate way better but it's too small to close the gate and keep her there for the entire night. Worth saying we spent a night in a hotel on Saturday, she fell asleep outside the travel crate and during the night she got herself in it and we didn't hear a thing for 8 hours straight.

How do we get her to sleep through the night without us being there and without waking up and barking?

Thank so much for your help!

·
Registered
Ellie
534 Posts
Move her crate to your bedroom if you can, cover all sides except the one facing you. Then start all over from scratch with crate training. If she does cry at night and it’s not potty time you’ll have to let her cry it out even if it takes hours. At least now in your bedroom it isn’t attributed to any anxiety of being alone. We didn’t sleep well for a month and I had to use earplugs some nights to get past the tantrum hour. If she wakes and cries in the middle of the night let her out for potties, no play, all business. Then back in. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
@Lucia Ruiz, @Dan_A gave you great direction/advice.

I'll also add, when crate training Aly, I got a memory foam mattress topper I put on the floor next to the opening of her crate. @ 14 weeks, I was still taking her out to go potty every hour or so... regardless if she was sleeping or not. At that time, it was the dead of winter in upstate NY... NOT pleasant! Still... out she went! When we came in from going potty, sometimes she's re-settle... sometimes she wouldn't. If not, I'd roll out of the bed and onto the mattress topper next to her crate. I'd put my fingers through the crate door... and we'd both fall back to sleep until the next hourly alarm went off.

Reassurance to the puppy... and then patience and perseverance!

Reactions: Gabica
1 - 3 of 3 Posts