Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello!

We have a 5 month of Vizsla without any family history of SA, but we’ve been seeing some patches develop. The vet did the first round of tests and didn’t find any sign of ring worm or SA, but wanted to see if anyone else had a similar situation.

He currently eats Purina ProPlan Sensitive Skin + Stomach for Puppies with a can of tuna on top and we give him a little primrose and omegas as well which seems to help a bit. And we only wash him once a week with oatmeal shampoo + conditioner.

If anyone has any similar experience let me know and I’ll also report back once we find what the culprit of the issue. Thanks!
Grey Fawn Liver Terrestrial animal Fur

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Liver Working animal

Dog Carnivore Liver Fawn Dog breed

Dog Carnivore Comfort Grey Dog breed

· Administrator
9,481 Posts
My best guess is Demodectic mange. If so it’s easily treated with Nexgard .

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Usually threads go dead and not solutions are posted, so I want to keep this one up to date in case anyone has a similar situation.

UPDATE: We took him to the vet who gave him an allergy shot which cleared up all bumps on him, but the bald patches are still a work in progress. The doctor is running a blood panel to make sure there isn't anything metabolic that might be causing issues.

What have we done so far and ruled out:

1. We gave him another dose of Nexgard on 10/18 in case of demodex and/or fleas + ticks. So far this hasn't helped with the bald spots.

2. We found that Sebaceous adenitis doesn't run in his family, and he's young to show any auto-immune issues, so this is still the worst case scenario, but unlikely.

3. No sign of parasites, fleas, or ticks after a skin scrape. The lesions also don't appear to be related to ring worm.

4. We have given allergy pills from the vet and Benadryl on occasion that has cleared bumps up, but no noticeable effect on the bald spots.

Currently doing the following:

1. Waiting on metabolic panel results.

2. Only feeding Hill's Science Diet Puppy formula (no additional tuna, fish oil, etc).

3. Bathing him with Ceraven CHX+MC Antiseptic Shampoo.

4. Applying Pet MD Hot Spot Treatment to the bald spots.

The only remaining possibilities are ring worm (unlikely), SA (unlikely), seasonal allergies (likely), or a metabolic issue (pending test results).

I'll keep updating this thread as we hear more so anyone who is having a similar issue can see the process of figuring this out if their pup has similar symptoms.

· Administrator
9,481 Posts
Anytime they lose hair, it can take a while to grow back. If there are no new balding patches, dog is not scratching, and the skin is healing/looks healthy. I would give the treatment already given, a chance.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anytime they lose hair, it can take a while to grow back. If there are no new balding patches, dog is not scratching, and the skin is healing/looks healthy. I would give the treatment already given, a chance.
Great advice, and thank you. Crazy enough the blood panel came back clean today right when one of the spots he had started sticking up and became brittle. We pulled the hair out and there was a circular rash –– we're positive it's just a very strange type of ringworm that wasn't very noticeable in the other lesions. We're continuing with the shampoo treatment and will report back!

· Administrator
9,481 Posts
Kind of off topic.
Have you ever seen ringworm glow under a black light? Not that you want a animal to have ringworm, but it’s to see it under the black light.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kind of off topic.
Have you ever seen ringworm glow under a black light? Not that you want a animal to have ringworm, but it’s to see it under the black light.
I haven’t, but saw that online. We’re taking him in to get another skin scrape to get a diagnosis before confirming it’s ringworm, but the bumps and brittle hair in spots are pretty spot on to the symptoms.

· Administrator
9,481 Posts
I’ve fostered a lot of rescue dogs, and have seen plenty of different skin issues. I’m not a vet, and tests could prove me wrong, but my money would still be on your pup having a few extra mites causing his skin issues.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
UPDATES

Again, updating in hopes that this thread can be more informative than one that goes dead without resolution. Our pup did have a few more tiny dead hair circles that pulled off to reveal a laceration –– which is exactly what ringworm looks like, but apparently...isn't the problem.

Another Type of Fungus: Definitely possible.
Allergies: Negative. No itching or scratching and on a sensitive skin/coat diet.
Demodex: Negative
Ringworm: Negative Initial Sample (waiting for 2 weeks to see if anything grows in the lab).
Sebaceous Adenitis: Vet doesn't think so since he's so young (5 months), but it could be a possibility.

Waiting on further instruction from our vet, but she is baffled and said if ringworm is ruled out 100% we'll get more into the "fringe" diagnosis and keep exploring for what the issue could be.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, about 2 days away from the fungus culture results coming back, but the following has almost cleared the bald spots.

1. Clotrimazole USP 1% (Lotrimin Cream)
(Over the counter, 2 times per day)

2. Sulfur + Lime Cream
(Over the counter, 1 time per day)

3. Covetous Phyto CHX+MC Shampoo
(Prescribed, 1-2 times per week)

Again, not trying to bump up a dead thread, but hoping this serves as some guidance to other owners and will end the thread with the final fungus results. Gotta love the strange fungus strains you’ll run into here in Los Angeles…

· Administrator
9,481 Posts
Hopefully the last test results will give you answers. I always hate hearing the word idiopathic, when it comes to medical issues with the dogs. Sometimes if we can clear up the issue, we just have to come to terms with not knowing the cause.

Reactions: relativculture
1 - 15 of 15 Posts