Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - Just a quick poll to see what size your adult male V’s are. My 5 month old V is 42 pounds as of this morning. I’m sure he’s not don’t growing and can’t wait to see how much more he may grow.

·
Administrator
8,323 Posts
I've had males that were mid 50s, and some that stayed in the mid to high 40s.

·
Registered
884 Posts
42 at 5 months sounds average. They says approx. double the weight as of 4 months to estimate adults weight. My boys are at low 50s although Miksa still has not filled out fully.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Finn is right around 50 lbs. at the year mark. He'll probably gain another 8 lbs. or so, over the next year, to year and a 1/2.
Of the three males I've owned one was around 55lbs. Another just at 50lbs, and one at 60lbs. All were big enough to carry a downed pheasant.
What's that saying, "dynamite comes in small packages". ;)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Big Rafa is 66 lbs and filled out a lot when he was almost 2 years old, he is still 'ribby' and very lean looking, but is on the large end range of male adult Vizlas. He is also a lap dog!

I just checked his weight at 5 months and he was only 37 pounds back then.

Rafa February 2019.jpg

Goofy Rafa.jpg

·
Administrator
8,323 Posts
Some of the non US bloodlines, or recently imported bloodlines can have a heavier bone structure. So naturally they would weigh a little more.

Some of the US breeders, have bred Vizslas to be able to compete with English pointers in the field. That has led to some boodlines weighing less than others.

And I agree with Gunnr
Those pocket rockets can really cover some ground, and I'm in heaven watching them. They do kind of freaked my husband out. He's always telling me I should call them in, and I tell them it's fine.

Reactions: PhilipL

·
Registered
110 Posts
Some of the non US bloodlines, or recently imported bloodlines can have a heavier bone structure. So naturally they would weigh a little more.
That makes sense, as Rafa's dad 'Zala' was specially imported direct from Hungary by his breeders just about 3 year's ago

·
Registered
58 Posts
I’ll add a data point to this I suppose. I feel like my boy hasn’t really grown much larger since 7 months old. He is now 13 months old and around 55 lbs. he grew rapidly before that though. Not sure if he’ll grow more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts