Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Administrator
Joined
·
8,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were gone for 5 hours yesterday. Came home, went to let her out of the crate, and she could barely walk. Non weight bearing on left front leg, and only partial weight on left back leg. She was in a lot of pain, and we went straight to the ER. While xrays didn't show anything wrong with her elbow, it was the only place she showed pain during the manipulations of her joints. She was given a hydrocodone injection, and put on strict rest. But they let her come home. The meds worked till 230am. She woke us up crying, when she tried to reposition herself. I gave her, her next pain meds, and she is resting. If we don't start to see improvement, she will have futher testing done. As in a MRI, or scope her elbow.
Right now she will not get up, or lay down without help. Will only walk slowly on three legs if forced to by vet. My husband or I just carry her. Shine is not a pitty party kind of dog, so I know she has to be in a lot of pain to act this way.
:crying
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
8,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We drove her to A&M this morning.
They are thoroughly going over her, and doing more xrays of her elbow.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
4,193 Posts
bloody ****, all my best thoughts and hopes for a speedy result and recovery x
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
8,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She is spending the night at A&M.. Her elbow is now swollen, and she is in pain without IV pain meds. They tapped the elbow to test the fluid for infection. Fluid is not clear like it should be, but first pathology reports do not show infection. But they will be cultured. If infection showed, they would have flushed, and scoped the elbow. And still may later. They are going to test some of her other joints tonight. Depended on what they find will determine if she stays a ortho patient, or if she is changed to internal medicine.
10238.jpeg
Sure was hard to leave here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
What a bummer reading through posts. Feel so bad for Shine. We went through a similar issue with joints in rear leg, but this one sounds serious. We are praying for you and your V.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,044 Posts
Oh, how awful..what a terrible end to the holiday. At least she's in a good place getting good treatment, I hope you take some comfort in that, and they can fix this .
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
8,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, how awful..what a terrible end to the holiday. At least she's in a good place getting good treatment, I hope you take some comfort in that, and they can fix this .
She is at the best place, that I know to take her in Texas.
It's almost 2 hours from me, but I felt she needed the higher level of care.
I'm waiting on a call from them, for last night's reports on her other joints. Then go from there. Either way we will go see her today.
 
  • Like
Reactions: harrigab and Kedves

·
Administrator
Joined
·
8,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shine's left knee is now swollen too. They a leaning toward it being IMPA, but don't know if it's primary or secondary.
They sent off a blood panel to check for any tick borne diseases. Started her on doxy, in case it is secondary from tick borne. Cultures on fluid will not be ready until Monday, so still will not be certain until atleast then . So she will be at A&M atleast till then. Maybe longer, as her pain will be hard to control at home if it is IMPA. Atleast until the steroids kick in.😢
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
743 Posts
keep sending ESP. seeing any dog suffer is heartbreaking, but for me even more difficult when they are still this young.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,044 Posts
Oy, arthritis...

It sounds like she's in good hands there, but if you want a second opinion, I have a superb vet who is great at diagnostics and I'm sure would be happy to consult with them and you.

I hate being powerless knowing that pain and suffering are involved, so if I can help in some small way, PM me.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
8,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you.
Right now we are having to wait on the culture, before a final diagnosis.
I am sure I will eventually seek a internist that is closer to me. For now I am confident they are doing everything possible, to get her on the right track. Even using methadone to help with her pain. They have a larger array of pain medicine available than most vets.

Tonight they mixed shredded chicken with her canned food, and hand-fed her. It's so hard being away from her, but I know it's where she needs to be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
743 Posts
Deb, by any chance she had some vaccination recently (last 2-4 weeks) she could have reacted to? Friend of mine was suggesting to check that, she has seen this type of reaction with young vizslas before. Just an idea, and not trying to play vet here.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
8,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Deb, by any chance she had some vaccination recently (last 2-4 weeks) she could have reacted to? Friend of mine was suggesting to check that, she has seen this type of reaction with young vizslas before. Just an idea, and not trying to play vet here.
No recent vaccinations, or anything else we can think of.
Right now it looks like it may be idiopathic, but the results for the tick-borne disease will not be ready till later in the week.
But I really don't remember her ever having a tick on her.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
You guys down In Texas have lots of tick issues? Down here I don't see many, but with the global warming and stuff, they are more visible. In 10 years I only caught 1 tick on my dog.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
8,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We got to have a very short visit with Miss Shine.
She can only be off her IV pain meds for 15 minutes. So 3 hour round trip drive, to see her for 10 minutes. I'm not complaining, I love seeing her, and do not want her to be in pain.
With her pain meds, she is walking, talking, and doing her excited high pitched howl. It does the heart good to see her up, and moving.
The cultures from the joint tap fluids, will be ready sometime tomorrow. If it is IMPA, she will start steroid treatment immediately. Then possibly get to come home Monday night, or sometime Tuesday. It just all depends on when she can be taken off IV pain meds, and change to oral pain meds.
This is Miss Shine today. She's doing her excited howl, and keeps looking at the door. That's code for she's ready to blow this joint, and come home.
 
  • Like
Reactions: vdogdad and PhilipL

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
This clip refuses to play.

An error occurred. Please try again later. (Playback ID: 66ztMY5wX_XG-bfG)
Learn More
 
1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Top