Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all… was wondering if anybody has had similar issues with their vizslas and able to suggest a plan of action or even a diet that has helped them.

My Vizsla is an 8 month old male (cross lab, but can barely see the lab in him), and he’s having some issues with diet. Weight gain has severely plateaued and he is very ribby and hippy, looking like a gangly giraffe at the moment when he should really be starting to bulk out.

The problem is he is a sensitive boy already and really itches at times attacking his back feet and comes up in small scabby bumps around his head and face (through feeding different diets, I think the likeliest cause is poultry, as when I stopped feeding chicken his stools became healthier too).

So essentially I’m looking for a diet or advice for a juvenile who really needs to put on weight, but at the same time - worrying about what reaction he may have with his skin. Vet has prescribed daily antihistamines and told me it’s not diet but environmental which just does not align at all with the triggers I tried to explain to them. Please help if you can!!!

Sincerely,

An exhausted puppy mother 😂

·
Administrator
9,060 Posts
Not saying I’m a big fan of the brand, but Taste of the Wild (fish based) brand has work for my foster dogs that have sensitive stomachs.
Most new fosters that come to my house, I start them on this food. I do it because I have no idea what they have been eating, and this seems to cause less upset stomach. After I while I try to slowly change it to what I normally feed, if I see any loose stool. They just stay on the TOTW.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply texasred - I’ve started him on a fish based diet to see if this helps. They seem a rather sensitive breed. Appreciate it. Hopefully it helps him put on some weight as well as settle his itchy skin.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts