Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 13 month old awesome boy. He’s everything I hoped the breed would be. I’m thinking of getting a second dog to give him a companion. Some questions I have are as follows:
-should I wait til he is older?
-if so, what is a good age to add a puppy?
-is pairing with another v the best option?
-anyone have experience with pairing with a weim or gsp? Thoughts?
-pair with another male, or switch it up with a female?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
4,311 Posts
I've got a now 10 year old whv, and a 6.5 year old whv, they get on really well, they don't get all close up and cuddle on the sofa kinda thing, but there's never any drama either, I work my dogs on shoots and they work together in perfect harmony, both quartering and crossing each other and backing up and honouring points. We have a pup coming in 5 weeks, a boy, it'll be interesting to see if the dynamics change.

Reactions: Gabica and texasred

·
Administrator
4,311 Posts
oh, the pup isn't a full whv....his dad is a whv, but his mum is a GWP crossed with a bracco..hmm, gonna be quite a challenge haha :)

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Not to be cavalier, but they seem to work it out themselves. I've had two females 11 months apart, and two males 8 months apart.
I think about the only incorrect time ,in my opinion, is to get two puppies at the same time unless you already know that you have a working training program and can give each puppy what they need. Even that scenario has played out successfully though.
My personal preference would be to have them far enough apart in the training that you weren't working the dogs on the same lessons.
It can be a "drama" taking two dogs to do initial bird work at the same time. BTDT.
I think another V, GSP, or Weim' should work. Don't be surprised at the speed mismatch. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts