Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I might be mad. I have just spent my 46th birthday money on a scooter for my V to pull . . . I just wondered if anyone has experience of scootering with a V? She weighs about 23kg - which is roughly 1/2 of what me & the scooter weigh, so I don't expect her to be able to pull me without some kicking from me except on smooth surfaces - but have seen films of pointers and setters happily pulling scooters.. She loves going out with the bike - she prefers to be loose, but happy on a Walky dog. I am expecting her to come into season any minute now & I thought she would probably enjoy the scooter, as well as it giving her plenty of exercise at her own pace. So far I have bought an X-back harness (the type sled dogs use) and a special bungee for her to pull the scooter. I plan to use my cycling helmet & gloves - but might invest in some skateboard pads if necessary.

Apparently urban mushing is becoming pretty popular in California having come over from Scandinavia I think as a way to exercise the sled dogs when there is no snow.

Scooter should be here any day now . . . I think we should be a bit of a spectacle in Richmond Park (London). Love to hear from anyone with experience.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I just couldn't wait for my husband to have time to come with me, so I set off w/ the new scooter & Fettle to our park. First I had a go to see if I could actually still scooter (probably last did it when I was 4). Well it didn't seem too bad, so I thought I would hitch her up & see what happened . . .

I had my bike helmet & gloves on just in case!! I put the gang line (that a mushing word for a iine w/ a bungy cord in) onto the scooter & attached her to the front of the scooter. Then I told her to 'hike' (more mushing words - was hoping she had read the manual). Well whaddya know - Vizlas really are clever enough to read. She took off at a trot and mostly kept in front. I helped her w/ kicking a bit (the ground, not the dog). It was a huge amount of fun & I think she enjoyed it. Mind you - I was beginning to wish I had a couple of dogs to get up a bit more speed!!

So it wasn't nearly as mad as I had thought - but it was fun & it felt like quite a good bonding thing to do. But it also seems like a really excellent way to exercise her when she is in season. She has a big male friend coming to stay next week - so I might just hitch him up too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No quick release. I just put the brakes on & tell her 'easy'. In a couple of weeks I have her best friend coming to stay & he is a large entire male. I think I might up the anti & hitch them both up to the scooter!! You can put them in tandem (one behind the other), but I think I will go side by side - then you should put a link joining them together so they don't go opposite sides of a tree or a sign . . .

She's in season at the moment & it's a great way for her to get some exercise. I get some too as I have help quite a bit up hill (or when she is more interested in sniffing than pulling).

Apparently it's not wise to hitch up more than 2 dogs to a scooter - however, in my more Ben Hur moments I do think that 4 or 6 Vizslak would look pretty fine tearing around our park. Apparently Lord Rothschild had 4 zebra that he brought from Africa & he would have them pull his coach around his grounds. I believe they went pretty fast . . .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts