Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey gang,

My vizsla is 4 months old and pretty rambunctious. Is this too early for a 5k run?

Obviously ill make sure she'll have water if so.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Yeah, that might be a bit much.
She can probably cover the 3 miles, but not at a structured run.
If you're willing to slow it down to a quick walk/fartlek session, in the woods, or forest, she'll be able to handle that a bit easier.
Give her six months, and she'll be waiting for you at every bend in the trail. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Following... I am an avid runner and we pick up our puppy this weekend. Can't wait until she is older & I'll have a new running buddy! J roc, how has your experience been the first few months? Any structured short runs yet & how has your V handled them?

·
Registered
19 Posts
At 6 months my dog can run circles around the dog park for 3+ hours with barely a break. I’ve yet to see him tired.

I vote 4-4.5 months to start running with him

·
Registered
3 Posts
Huggy - thanks for your experience. I know these dogs can run for days, no doubt the dog would be able to handle the run, but the bigger question is how it would impact their joint/bone development while they are still growing so fast and the impact it could have on them down the road?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Huggy - thanks for your experience. I know these dogs can run for days, no doubt the dog would be able to handle the run, but the bigger question is how it would impact their joint/bone development while they are still growing so fast and the impact it could have on them down the road?
I agree with concern of joint/bone development, for that reason, I started structured running with my V at 1 yr.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am
hey gang,

My vizsla is 4 months old and pretty rambunctious. Is this too early for a 5k run?

[
hey gang,

Hi I am a runner too. When we first got Lucy I was so anxious to start her running however everyone told me it really wasn't safe until she was 1 year old & her growth plates were more stable. We for sure play ran but nothing structured. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts