Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have 9 month old Hungarian Vizsla. He is a really good boy until it gets to listening off lead. He now got to the stage where we go on a long walk and if he sees another dog there’s no way of him listening to my recall or coming back. I have to go and physically pull him away from the other dogs meaning that if we are not on a puppy date or somewhere where there are no dogs he has to be on a lead. I know most dog owners don’t mind but I hate being the crazy lady that runs after their dog when he is chasing a bird or other dogs in the distance. Please any help ?

· Registered
76 Posts
Hi guys, I have 9 month old Hungarian Vizsla. He is a really good boy until it gets to listening off lead. He now got to the stage where we go on a long walk and if he sees another dog there’s no way of him listening to my recall or coming back. I have to go and physically pull him away from the other dogs meaning that if we are not on a puppy date or somewhere where there are no dogs he has to be on a lead. I know most dog owners don’t mind but I hate being the crazy lady that runs after their dog when he is chasing a bird or other dogs in the distance. Please any help ?

Hi Lucy2005,
I had an issue similar to this when Reggie was about the same age. One day I was the crazy lady trying to catch my speeding Vizsla while he tried to play with another dog, I felt like a Sloth trying to chase Usain Bolt ! After that I reached out on the forum and advice was to put him on the check cord. I did this and went back to basics with recall. High value treats and lots of praise when he came back, the check cord gave me reassurance I could get him back if needed. It helped me regain my trust in him and now at nearly a year I would say I have 80% trust although I do try to read the situation and make sure it’s not too busy as he is still a pup and full of beans. Hope that helps

· Registered
74 Posts
Our Piper is just over 7 Months and we have the same problem, but we have come to a conclusion that if you continue to be that "Crazy Lady" it exasperates the problem! If you stay calm but firm in your Recall Command, Piper tends to listen more as she is constantly "Checking In" as to where we are, if you are excited she gets excited and thinks hat being with the other Dog/Person/Child is a game that you are joining in with! :rolleyes::unsure:

· Registered
76 Posts
Our Piper is just over 7 Months and we have the same problem, but we have come to a conclusion that if you continue to be that "Crazy Lady" it exasperates the problem! If you stay calm but firm in your Recall Command, Piper tends to listen more as she is constantly "Checking In" as to where we are, if you are excited she gets excited and thinks hat being with the other Dog/Person/Child is a game that you are joining in with! :rolleyes::unsure:
This is true, once I started to realise that he thinks me chasing is a game I now head briskly off in the opposite direction and he is hard in my heels ! No one treats him better than his Mum so I best follow 😊

· Registered
136 Posts
When my boy was that same age I had the same problems. I then started to take high value treats with me on every walk. When it was all clear I would take him off leash and every time he “checked in” he would get a treat. And if he went out of sight I would hide behind a tree. He would look so hard for me that he stopped getting out of my site. Lots of praise and treats and he just kept coming back. I tried to make it more fun than running off. Took time but this worked well for me.

· Administrator
9,485 Posts
When mine hit the teenager stage, thinking they can ignore a recall. That’s when I start conditioning them to the ecollar. I know not everyone is a fan of ecollars, but I’ve been able to put a reliable recall on every dog with them.
They come to me when I ask. I don’t have to worry about them running up to strangers, or unknown dogs. As not every dog, is dog friendly.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello Lucy,

How have things gone for you since you started using your check cord? We're in the exact same position as you were with your puppy 3 months ago. I'd be super appreciative if you could give some tips/pointers you got from the experience.
Hi, thank you for asking
It has definitely become much better, of course it’s not perfect. I think the check cord made us feel a bit safer and tbh I don’t think he even realises he’s even on it as it’s so long. It has most definitely helped with him checking with us more. I’ve also started to call his name (when we’re on a walk )every 2-3 mins so he can turn around and come to me, and I always praise him with a treat in return so he can then connect his name with a treat when we’re calling him. Also I believe what has helped us to have a few catchy phrases when he starts to see other dogs so I can get his attention like for example “this way” when changing direction or “good boy” so he can then ignore the dogs and focus on me. He’s not too good at this but I’ve started to train him to come back on a whistle. After time I’ve realised that my voice sometimes changes and isn’t as penetrating as the same whistle sound. I’ve started to train him in the garden a bit and found it quite helpful. But I know it’s easier said then done. He does have his good days when he’s very good at recall but for example today we ran into some dogs which was fine as I knew them, but when it was time to leave Nelson refused to respond to me or my recall and I had to physically drag him away, as the crazy lady he makes me look like 🤣 Wishing good luck !!! Let me know how it goes, I do recommend a long check cord as it helps them to have their freedom while still having some control :)

· Registered
76 Posts
Glad to hear things r going well. It is an ongoing battle but sounds as if u have cracked it. Like you I would dial Reggie back in every few minutes just to get him connecting coming back to me with praise and a treat. I do go overboard with the affection when he returns but he loves it and now I can relax a little more when out but I still dial him in occasionally just to remind him I’m boss. I do find him much easier to train now he’s older he appears to ‘get it’ more although he’s definitely still a work in progress. They r the most amazing dogs though aren’t they ? With the right training and time spent they make the most wonderful companions 😍

· Registered
25 Posts
Hi, thank you for asking
It has definitely become much better, of course it’s not perfect. I think the check cord made us feel a bit safer and tbh I don’t think he even realises he’s even on it as it’s so long. It has most definitely helped with him checking with us more. I’ve also started to call his name (when we’re on a walk )every 2-3 mins so he can turn around and come to me, and I always praise him with a treat in return so he can then connect his name with a treat when we’re calling him. Also I believe what has helped us to have a few catchy phrases when he starts to see other dogs so I can get his attention like for example “this way” when changing direction or “good boy” so he can then ignore the dogs and focus on me. He’s not too good at this but I’ve started to train him to come back on a whistle. After time I’ve realised that my voice sometimes changes and isn’t as penetrating as the same whistle sound. I’ve started to train him in the garden a bit and found it quite helpful. But I know it’s easier said then done. He does have his good days when he’s very good at recall but for example today we ran into some dogs which was fine as I knew them, but when it was time to leave Nelson refused to respond to me or my recall and I had to physically drag him away, as the crazy lady he makes me look like 🤣 Wishing good luck !!! Let me know how it goes, I do recommend a long check cord as it helps them to have their freedom while still having some control :)
Thanks for the update Lucy, I'm very pleased to hear that things have gotten better for you! I will take your advice and I'll let you know how I get on in a couple of months time. This forum is absolutely amazing because I was feeling a bit lost when Al started ignoring recall commands. Now I see that it's a common occurrence and things can get better with some management and perseverance. Thank you all!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.