Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have 9 month old Hungarian Vizsla. He is a really good boy until it gets to listening off lead. He now got to the stage where we go on a long walk and if he sees another dog there’s no way of him listening to my recall or coming back. I have to go and physically pull him away from the other dogs meaning that if we are not on a puppy date or somewhere where there are no dogs he has to be on a lead. I know most dog owners don’t mind but I hate being the crazy lady that runs after their dog when he is chasing a bird or other dogs in the distance. Please any help ?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi guys, I have 9 month old Hungarian Vizsla. He is a really good boy until it gets to listening off lead. He now got to the stage where we go on a long walk and if he sees another dog there’s no way of him listening to my recall or coming back. I have to go and physically pull him away from the other dogs meaning that if we are not on a puppy date or somewhere where there are no dogs he has to be on a lead. I know most dog owners don’t mind but I hate being the crazy lady that runs after their dog when he is chasing a bird or other dogs in the distance. Please any help ?

Hi Lucy2005,
I had an issue similar to this when Reggie was about the same age. One day I was the crazy lady trying to catch my speeding Vizsla while he tried to play with another dog, I felt like a Sloth trying to chase Usain Bolt ! After that I reached out on the forum and advice was to put him on the check cord. I did this and went back to basics with recall. High value treats and lots of praise when he came back, the check cord gave me reassurance I could get him back if needed. It helped me regain my trust in him and now at nearly a year I would say I have 80% trust although I do try to read the situation and make sure it’s not too busy as he is still a pup and full of beans. Hope that helps

·
Registered
52 Posts
Our Piper is just over 7 Months and we have the same problem, but we have come to a conclusion that if you continue to be that "Crazy Lady" it exasperates the problem! If you stay calm but firm in your Recall Command, Piper tends to listen more as she is constantly "Checking In" as to where we are, if you are excited she gets excited and thinks hat being with the other Dog/Person/Child is a game that you are joining in with! :rolleyes::unsure:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Our Piper is just over 7 Months and we have the same problem, but we have come to a conclusion that if you continue to be that "Crazy Lady" it exasperates the problem! If you stay calm but firm in your Recall Command, Piper tends to listen more as she is constantly "Checking In" as to where we are, if you are excited she gets excited and thinks hat being with the other Dog/Person/Child is a game that you are joining in with! :rolleyes::unsure:
This is true, once I started to realise that he thinks me chasing is a game I now head briskly off in the opposite direction and he is hard in my heels ! No one treats him better than his Mum so I best follow 😊

·
Registered
103 Posts
When my boy was that same age I had the same problems. I then started to take high value treats with me on every walk. When it was all clear I would take him off leash and every time he “checked in” he would get a treat. And if he went out of sight I would hide behind a tree. He would look so hard for me that he stopped getting out of my site. Lots of praise and treats and he just kept coming back. I tried to make it more fun than running off. Took time but this worked well for me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for this! It gives me hope that it will get better. I have ordered a check cord so we will work with that :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts