Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, out 10 week old dog, Nelson has settled in really well. House training is pretty much cracked as is the crate etc. Only issue we have is him waking at night to tell us he wants a pee. I usually take him out at 22:30 for a pee then put him to bed. He'll often wake me with a bark at around 02:30, then again at 05:00 ish for a pee. How can we help him hold this longer so that he's only up once per night? I think he might have worked out that whenever he wants to go he simlpy has to bark! or are we expecting too much too soon?

Whats your daily routine? we feed at 07:00, 13:00 and 19:00 - he then sleeps from 20:00 onwards. His walks are just twice a day for around 12 mins each, at 13:30 (after lunch) and then again at 18:00. Someone said we should feed ealier in the eve? maybe 18:00 then walk after again at 19:00 ?

thanks everyone

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi

At ten weeks I would say he's still quite young to last much longer than he is doing. We had our vizsla from 8 weeks of age and for about the first month I was getting up to him twice a night to let him out. After that, though, it went down to just once a night and generally from about 4 or 5 months he was sleeping right through. He's now nearly 2 and still occasionally asks to go out at night!

Do you have your puppy in a crate as this can help them learn to last longer as they don't like to mess in their own beds?

Our V did start to try it on when he was younger and whine at night just because he wanted attention, but somehow you come to learn the difference between a genuine "I need a pee" whine and an "I'm bored and I'd like to play" whine!

We gave our pup his final meal at about 7pm but we made sure we picked up his water bowl from around 8pm and this seemed to help him stop needing to go out quite so often.

All the best!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that's great advice. I think limiting water is a good plan. Last night he had a massive drink around 21:30 which meant he got up twice in the night.

He is in a crate and has never had an accident in it. Tonight we fed earlier at 18:30 and then I took him for a walk at 19:00. I hope this regular method should help settle him.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts