1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon all,
Here for some advice again.
How to relax with the puppy.
Ziva is 14w yesterday and is really coming on. But there is a Vizsla shaped hole in the evenings. We would love it if instead of having her evening nap in the crate (19.30-22.00) if she could be on the sofa with us.

I have seen a lot of photos/videos (YouTube/Facebook/etc) of others managing this at this age so just wondering what the secret is? Or have I been duped and theyve actually torn the humans apart with zoomies etc before hand?

We don't want to only be around her when she is on a walk. Any help advice welcomed.

·
Administrator
9,374 Posts
She has to be out with you, to learn how to correctly be out with you. I don’t mean in the overtired, Tasmanian devil state of mind. Just the normal bitey play state of mind. Heifer is my 8th vizsla, and at certain stages my arms looked like I had been playing with feral cats. We just keep working through it. Keeping tons of toys, and chews, small treats within reach. Lots of praise for things done correctly, and very very light correction for trying to run off with your arm latched in those needle teeth. Sometimes even speaking calmly while holding them in place, and gently running your hand down the length of their backs can change the mood. I tell them in a soft voice Easy, Wait. Once they are still, I release them with the word Okay and praise them. Of course they go back to being wild and bitey. But that is the start to having them be calm. You just slowly build on it. As they learn over weeks, and they get on the sofa next to you. The calm words, and the full length rub will have them more prone to relax.
each of us train slightly differently, even if we are trying to do it exactly the same as a trainer has shown us. Plus each pup learns a little differently.
Just not to become frustrated if it’s taking longer than you thought it would.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On this one there is no time expectation (theyve gone out the window now) more a want of thats where we want to get to, just doesnt seem possible atm
We are having a chew treat on the sofa each evening before bed, which she is calm for whilst its there/is interesting, and we encourage this. Soon as she starts riling up again its out for toilet and then into crate for sleep.
But it would be lovely if she could emulate the behaviour in the crate where she gets a kong, and falls a sleep licking it (rarely has much of it at all) and its just like "why can't you do that, outside your crate you silly thing?!" haha

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
from my two boys Bende was a notorious crate hater as a puppy and learned quickly that if he behaves outside of the crate he does not have to spend lots of time in there. so with him there was hardly ever an empty couch and many hours of sleeping there together.
Miksa was the opposite, he was fine being in his crate and witching hours hit every day in the evenings, just as sharks. So he spent way more time in a crate as a puppy than Bende as he was more calm there than in my lap.
Fast forward both are fine in their crates (I still use those, we travel for competitions, where it is important for them to be able to rest in their crates, so we have at home daily crate sleeping time too). AND they both love hanging out together and preferably pinning down a human:). Also they both sleep now in the big bed during the night. We just got there via different routes.

·
Registered
Ellie
583 Posts
Ellie did and still does cuddle on the couch at night for TV time. As a little puppy the trick was getting her tired enough. After the after-dinner potty and zoomie/crazy stage, by the time we were ready to watch tv on the couch she would be looking for a snuggle spot with us for the rest of the evening. I think a lot also has to do with conditioning her to your habits and timing as well. Eventually it will click.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts