Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Aron has recently started to show signs of dog reactivity on walks, so I searched and searched for resources to help us and came across this book. I loved it! It's simple, easy to understand, quick to read, and has lots and lots of great tips!
If you've read it, tell me if you liked it. I'll post here other good books regarding reactivity when I find them. Hope this helps someone!
1608467367210.png

·
Administrator
8,708 Posts
If you're searching for other material, Victoria Stilwell has a lot of information, to help with reactive dogs.

Reactions: Gabica and ana19

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another must-read! There are many many great takeaways but here are some of my favorites.

"You can train any dog with human compassion, intelligence, fairness, and without fear or pain inflicted on the dog."

"Dominance theory is an often-repeated myth that needs to die. It damages the human-canine bond. Modern scientific studies are proving that it's the bond between the two species that makes dogs trainable and creates the space where dogs and humans can cohabitate. We should be doing everything we can with our human brains to make sure that the bond stays positive and healthy for the dog."

"Instead of focusing on what we don't want the dog to do, think instead of what we do want from him and then guide him (with motivation, not with force) to that behavior. We need to be able to take a step back in our training when a dog repeats an unwanted behavior and ask ourselves what we are doing that contributes to that behavior. The dog is getting something out of the behavior, and it probably stems from something that we are doing."

"We look into their eyes and feel love (call it an oxytocin spike if you work in a lab), and they look into our eyes and feel the same. Now imagine if you have hit, punched, kicked, or hanged your dog. What do you think is released inside his body when he looks into your angry human eyes? It won't be oxytocin."

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you have any touch with dogs, you HAVE TO read this book. So good, informative yet easy to understand and it will transform your training.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts